1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

I'm sure a rounded back deadlifter could dispute that though. Although when I see someone go from neutral to flexion that's just plain wrong it seems.

2. virus646

virus646 Well-Known Member

Oh nice, I read some of his stuff and he looks like a good coach. How did it go?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  3. MarkI

MarkI Well-Known Member

Dumbbell pullovers, are they more of a back or chest exercise?

4. TehBunny

TehBunny Well-Known Member

Speaking of people lying about their lifts.....today a guy asked to work in with me and a friend on bench press; looks around same size/strength as us.....proceeds to add 2 10kg plates to what we where getting for 5 reps barely. I think 'ok' maybe he's strong, gets into average Joe bench-press position (no arch etc.) again I think 'oh well.'
    Proceeds to unrack and brings the bar down around his neck in an unbalanced motion up in an unbalanced motion, goes for 2nd rep...drops.
    I can tell you me and my friend where sweating a river at this point, he finishes and says 'Been training for the last 3 hours, what else did I expect'; I saw him walk in not 15 mins ago.........
    No idea how scary it was thinking that men willingly put themselves in such dangerous situation just to 'show off.'

5. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

I always see them described as a chest exercise, it does work your serratus I guess, but I definitely feel it in my lats too.

6. MarkI

MarkI Well-Known Member

That's what i'm saying, they are mostly described as a chest building tool, but I feel a lot of it in my lats.

7. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

pretty well. the first eight weeks had a conditioning focus and while it was pretty unpleasant, it was great for me training-wise. after that, i changed focus to maintain a certain level of conditioning and focus on strength. routine-wise, everything builds on itself, so your training evolves over the course of the coaching period; you're also shown the why and the how which really helps you to program your own stuff going forward. his diet plans are actually helpful instead of just prescribing "2500 @ 40/30/30" and everything else is meticulously detailed down the the rest periods. i'd recommend him without hesitation... the conditioning work is a real eye-opener and probably the best thing i've done for my training.

8. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Well-Known Member

Is that the one that's like a skull crusher without the elbow bending? That is a 100% lat exercise

Maybe he was just looking to test his 1RM :lol:

9. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

If I focus on pulling my elbows together by squeezing my pecs I feel it in my chest, if I focus on pushing them down I feel it in my lats. I think it depends on how you do them.

10. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

How much he charge you?

11. indesertum

After using my bodymedia for a bit I've found that the only way calories burned go as low as 2400 is if I do literally nothing all day and tdee calculators estimate my calories burned at 2347 at 5 10, 188 lb, and little to no activity

I still have a hard time trusting it tho when it says I've burned like 3500, 4000 calories

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  12. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

I always feel them most in my serratus.

13. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

I'm mid-230s guy, unfortunately. Luckily I got a nice bump on Step 2.

I've never heard of an ortho program that screens above 230, though. My situation's a bit different since I'm Army Med, so those programs rank candidates a bit differently than civilian guys.

14. indesertum

Why'd you choose army med?

15. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

Multiple reasons:

-Grew up on military bases
    -The thought of $250k of debt made me feel sick to my stomach
    -Higher standard of living as a med student and resident
    -MUCH better patient population
    -Good population to practice sports medicine with
    -Always wanted to join military in some aspect
    -Chicks dig the uniform
    -Free shit from Republicans in airports

3 people like this.
  16. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

350 for 3 months. it sounds like a lot, but in terms of quality versus quantity, there really is no comparison; the amount of value contained in the three months far surpassed the value i got with other trainers on longer terms. there's a consult before everything gets started, and a one week test run to get everything tuned in movement-wise before the time on the books starts. each month there's a new very detailed training block sent to you that's building on your previous month's work. it's a collaborative process and dan takes a lot of time and effort to make sure you understand the why and how behind everything. it's worth mentioning that he only takes a few guys on at a time so he's able to provide a high level of detail and attention to each trainee; i've spent days shooting emails back and forth with him getting very detailed answers back. its certainly being taught how to fish instead of being given a fish, which is something i placed a lot of value on.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  17. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

how's my high bar, bronies

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

1 person likes this.
  18. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

Great. But that's low bar.

19. indesertum

As army med can you do non army residency?

20. gort

gort Well-Known Member

Awesome, Jarude.