1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. MarkI

MarkI Well-Known Member

I think someone in this thread saying that's akin to taking two steps backwards, to go one step forwards.

I wanted to do the same thing, but then I thought about it, my number are hardly great, underneath the fat I do have there is not much muscle. Why fucking put yourself through the headache and trouble of cutting down to nothing, only to have this "clean slate?" It's so much wasted time that could be spent getting stronger. And I don't know about you, but for the week that I did "cut" I found it so demotivating to see my lifts stall, or suffer. It feels so much better walking into the gym everyday and breaking PRs.

All i'm saying, is that maybe swallowing ones pride and letting go of vanity for a couple of months might be a better means to an end.

But yeah, I dunno. My opinion. Different strokes for different folks eh

2. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

I want a gymnast body.

So wrist wraps? Correct way to do them?

Oops I meant wrist straps.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  3. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Well-Known Member

You will cut one way or another... why not do it once you have some mass, instead of a hundred times w/no muscle?

4. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

Because I'm tired of being fat :( Been fat forever.

5. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

:( me too

I want to set conceptionists photo as my phone background

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  6. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

plenty of people seem to be suggesting that it's wrong to suggest a strength-based routine to a noob who wants to look good.

I absolutely agree that the BB vs PL is overplayed, since most of the good routines are similar. Most BB upper body exercises would focus on OHP, bent over row, bench press, weighted pullups...which is pretty much the same as a PL routine, with a few assistance exercises chucked in.

That's what I don't really understand. It seems pretty unanimous that getting stronger requires muscle gain, there's not much difference between the programs anyway...so I don't really get what's wrong with a strength based routines for a noob.

1 person likes this.
  7. joshuasaussey

joshuasaussey Well-Known Member

The average male height is usually dependant on what country you are in too, most non-us countries the average male height is 5"8, where as in the u.s. it's 5"10.

In regards to the bb vs pl discussion, if you are just starting out, you are going to get stronger at bench etc. whether you are doing 3x12 or 3x1, strength and bodybuilding are hand in hand, even if you are not focusing on a 1RM you are training your muscles to get stronger, to lift more weight, the only difference with non-bb is you are just not doing extra isolation movements to fatigue the muscles even further.

Usually most bb routines are safer and are less taxing on the body too, I train bb myself so my opinion may be biased.

8. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Well-Known Member

180cm here. Did I make the cut off?

There is compelling hormone research done on fat:muscle gain ratios being more favourable if you're starting from a leaner state, but no study is bulletproof.

Also for the fellow who asked about wrist wrapping (twice):

9. Flame

Flame Well-Known Member

Testing out box jumps.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Got into a accident, needed stitches on my right shin so cannot train for 2 weeks :fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  10. conceptionist

conceptionist Well-Known Member

I've said this many times already, but cutting down to that bf % was not that tough and did not make my lifting suffer a whole lot. The reason I did the cut was that bulk I just came off hadn't been very successful. And yes, I was eating enough with close to 4000 cals on lifting days and 3300 on rest days. Actually got weaker in relation to my weight gain, since my pull ups went down.

The dieting was simply a waiting game. I choose to cut weight slowly. Lost no more than 1 pound a week max while managing to put 35 lbs on my front squat, 15 lbs on my bench and a lot more pull ups during those 10 or so weeks. It was only the last weeks that I started to get some problems with my concentration and lifts stalled, but not dropped. So two steps back? Not really.

I'm now on a slower bulk than last fall knowing that I can probably gain 25 pounds without going over 13-14% bf. Had I tried that before the cut I'd end up at 20%, feeling miserable about myself with a long ass cut in front of me.

I hear what you guys advocating a stronger bulk first are saying but this way is more motivating for me, and that what's counts. I've also found that most simply-wanting-to-look-good-newbies think the same. It makes more sense to them to lose the excess fat first and the changes they see in the mirror are usually enough to keep them on track. Most of these guys do not like the thought of gaining weight, muscle or fat but after the cut they always realize they have to gain at some point.

2 people like this.
  11. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

12. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Well-Known Member

That's unfortunate. Get well soon, and then...

Stand up at the top of the box jump. It's important to hit the landing solid and be able to stand.

13. deadly7

deadly7 Well-Known Member

there are sports in which squats aren't helpful? I guess golf or something.

This looks fucking scary. Does your gym not have real boxes?

14. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Well-Known Member

Numbness + pain = good wrap haha :) I can get a video of how to properly wrap wrists later today.
    Oh, so you're not that skinny or tall. :) But anyways, that article starts off by saying you don't need to back squat/front squat but then only explains gives his opinion on why back squats aren't necessary. I'm telling you this for experience from me, other guys, and just what I've seen with huge dudes that are strong as fuck, you gotta squat. Not it helps with overall muscularity and brings all your other lifts up. Fuck any kind of science involved. Dummy up and squat. It'll make you a better lifter and blow your legs up.
    That article doesn't support his point.. only mine. So you don't want to back squat, then front squat lol.. as long as your main do to lower body movement ain't a fucking leg press.

1 person likes this.
  15. MarkI

MarkI Well-Known Member

Charly please post vid on how to wrap wrists

16. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  17. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

Also lol at thinking bodybuilding "disregards strength" -- couldn't be further from the truth. Most good bodybuilders are strong as fuck. They're not pulling singles every week but they certainly have some quality strength and many of them have powerlifting backgrounds.

1 person likes this.
  18. conceptionist

conceptionist Well-Known Member

To those of you who own a decent foam roller such as "The Grid":

Do you find the grippy material and grooves beneficial? Just picked up another smaller PVC pipe so I can bring it to the gym, but it obviously does not have the best surface. Smooth and flat and a little slippy.

19. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

i don't know whether to be ashamed or aroused

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  20. Van Veen

Van Veen Well-Known Member

He looks like any noob bodybuilder would after putting on 40-50 pounds bulking.

1 person likes this.