1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Well-Known Member

2. gort

gort Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Dat engineer aesthetic.

3. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

4. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Well-Known Member

That isn't even really high protein. You can get the equivalent protein/cal breakdowns at McD's or something.

PE guy finally emailed me back. I've been waiting for a response for a month and sent two follow up emails in that time period. Both him and his business partner have been on vacation and will get back to me after they return. I hope he doesn't think I was too pushy by sending two emails, don't think it was a big deal. This whole thing is driving me nuts.

5. MarkI

MarkI Well-Known Member

Was running around the city for work earlier in business casual, it was 91 degrees and I was soaked.

Got off early and figured I'd go lay out on the beach and get my tan on, it's almost 15 degrees cooler out here and the sun has disappeared behind clouds.

Oh well, just gonna go to the gym in a few. Smoked a couple of joints while I was out here though, first time ill be going to the gym stonnnned. Any of you guys ever do that? I feel like it'll either work very well, or not at all.

6. GraphicNovelty

don't lift high. it'll suck.

run/spin/yoga while high. that shit's awesome.

7. MarkI

MarkI Well-Known Member

I've been jumping rope for cardio lately, that might be fun high while bumping some jams

8. GraphicNovelty

9. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

iodized salt, you guys stay away?

have two bad break outs and I think it's b/c my diet got introduced to iodized salt the past month. basically it messed up my skin a bit, and after some googling it seems I should stay away and eat my food with your basic sea salts etc. which I can find at Costco.

Hendrix you know anything about this? I'm sort of pissed TBH lol

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  10. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

I doubt iodised salt is messing up your skin.

11. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

I really do not know what the cause of these two blemishes are aside from diet change, which for the most part has not been much aside from the intro. of iodised salt

It could be the McNuggets I had or the extra soy
    My skin is clear for the good part of the year minus a few weeks where it gets real bad. I don't get it.

And FWIW I do not believe in stress or lack of sleep causing bad skin breakouts. It is always the diet.

12. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

What resistance bands should I buy? Any recs?

13. Coldsnap

Damn saw one of the funnies things in the gym today. This one other powerlifter in my gym who starting around the same time as myself, so I tend to compare my progress to his. He did Sheiko for awhile and made fast jumps but I slowly caught up with the slow and steady 5/3/1. Anyways, he's a college kid and likes to drink. Today he showed up at the gym wreaking of a whisky bottle and starts deadlifting. Loads up 135 and it looks pretty wobbly. Next he loads up 205 walks up to it, sets up, yanks on it so hard and it doesn't break the ground. So he continues to pull on it and it's going no where then all of a sudden he goes flying backwards and hits a wall. We were like yea you should probably go home if you can't even break 60% or so off the ground.

14. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

TBH, I do. But if you know what works for you then you know. There are probably multiple causes.

1 person likes this.
  15. Coldsnap

I saw walmart now has bands for sale.

16. MarkI

MarkI Well-Known Member

Should accessory work go up in a linear fashion to big compound movements? While I notice my big 3 lifts consistently go up every session, sometimes little shit like curls etc will waver... Sometimes I'll go up, sometimes ill have to work with a little less weight.

Make sense?

17. conceptionist

conceptionist Well-Known Member

Don't you eat quite a bit of fast food post workout? You often post about it anyway. Chipotle or whatever isn't bad, but cooking your meals at home obviously gives you full control of what you eat. Although fast food can have great macros, it's usually filled with preservatives and shit like that. Just check the ingredient list for Subways "chicken breast":

Quote: Naturally, you often get a bit more breakouts in a calorie surplus than a deficit. At least I do, and especially when I do heavy carb loads.

If you really want to minimize the risk of breakouts, you should only eat fresh and organic stuff, no dairy, no alcohol or coffee and tons of water and green tea (I think). Less fast and processed carbs and more potatoes, basmati or brown rice and whole wheat pasta. Whole wheat bread is alright in smaller amounts.

18. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Well-Known Member

My main accessory movement might move here and there but usually the rest of my assistance movements do not move at all during a training cycle. Just worry about your main lifts moving for the most part.

1 person likes this.
  19. MarkI

MarkI Well-Known Member

Awesome, great to here that especially coming from you. It was a little nagging thing that kept bothering me.

20. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

Counterpoint: I don't see any reason why assistance lifts should not be pushed. Incremental increases and working within flexible rep ranges allows you to do this very easily.

Keep the context in mind, Mark - charly is a powerlifter and as long as his main lift moves up, he doesn't give a shit what he's doing otherwise. He's paying a coach to give him new routines as needed, where the whole point of those routines is to only move that main lift up... you're starting out on a generic strength program and have a ton of room to push up your assistance work when you can. Yeah, your main lift moving up will eat into your assistance work progress at times, but you shouldn't stick with the same weight for the sake of sticking with the same weight.