1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

Clicked on thread expecting actual scuba pics, son I am disappoint.

2. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

Ugh, family get together today with my in-laws relatives. Was crushing the BBQ and got a few "must be nice to have that metabolism" comments. "Nothing to do with working out 6 times a week and being in a pool 8 hours a day, right? Ha ha." "Ohh you wish! Just wait, you'll see, it'll slow down."

Fucking nothing else rustles my jimmies than hearing the word "metabolism" in relation to my body comp and food intake :fu:

3. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Well-Known Member

you have a real pet peeve with that one mang, might I suggest you think what everyone who's saying that is actually implying?

they mirin' thats what

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. gort

gort Well-Known Member

Careful there. I got slammed into the sand boogie boarding when I was little and got a lacerated liver and internal bleeding out of it. Scary times.

Also saw Man of Steel today. Henry Cavill looking thick, solid, tight.

5. valjester

valjester Active Member

Anyone have an idea how Harbinger gloves fit? I measured my hand and it's about 8 inches across, which according to their sizing chart is a medium, but I'm normally a small in leather gloves.

6. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Well-Known Member

Lifting gloves are a complete waste of money.

You're welcome.

4 people like this.
  7. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

any legit uses for a smith machine? found a stupid good deal on one with a pulldown and two independent hi/low pulleys... it'd be worth it for that alone at the price, just the only thing ive used a smith for was hanging my hoodie on lol. and inverted rows i guess

i don't mind the mirin... its just the smugness that they convey the "just wait, you'll see" thing with. i should just bask in the soothing warmth of their jelly as i stuff myself with burgers and ice cream, muttering "u just mirin son" between bites

but honestly, can you imagine how hilariously inappropriate it would be if you were mirin hard on some dudes new yacht and told him the only reason he was financially successful was because of his parents? even if it were true you'd be a prick

8. valjester

valjester Active Member

I know that it's a polarizing product, but I'm curious why you think they're a waste of money. I have really soft hands that develop painful calluses easily, and I have a habit of picking at them. What do you recommend?

9. mrchariybrown

Painful calluses? Might be because you're holding onto the bar incorrectly while doing some movements. During pulling movements, don't place the bar in the middle of your palms. Place them directly below where the fingers starting and wrap your hands around them.

Get chalk and/or straps.

Is calluses start to form, shave them. Or just peel them off during a hot shower (what I do every time I take a shower).

Unless you've got some weird attachment to having soft, feminine hands, I suggest you do the above and grow a pair.... of manly fists.

1 person likes this.
  10. valjester

valjester Active Member

Peeling off calluses is not a long-term solution for me. I have tried chalk and it doesn't make things any better. I don't think I would make good use of straps. I can't see how they would be advantageous to gloves, considering that they are more of an inconvenience and would only help with deadlifts and maybe shrugs, not to mention that I don't ever plan to lift so much that I can't rely on my grip strength. That aside, I am still wondering what makes you believe that gloves are a waste of money. Is there a downside that I'm not aware of?

11. mrchariybrown

Never mind, I take it all back. You should get lifting gloves to protect those soft hands of yours.

3 people like this.
  12. valjester

valjester Active Member

No, no, you're absolutely right. You made good points about how gloves are inferior to straps/chalk.

13. Flame

Flame Well-Known Member

Most people who wear gloves are like this:

[​IMG]

14. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Well-Known Member

There's a dude in my gym that uses gloves and chalk.

2 people like this.
  15. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

That feel when you are eating whatever you want on Sundays but you can't think of any place that's out of your healty/unhealthy wheel house.

mindblown.gif

16. mrchariybrown

The truth is.. I don't have to justify any (free) advice I give out to someone who uses lifting gloves. Call it lazy or whatever you want. Let's just go with, you're right. Keep using lifting gloves. It helps with keeping hands extra supple and soft.

17. valjester

valjester Active Member

If you'll remember, I only asked about the sizing of the gloves. You offered the unsolicited opinion that gloves were useless, but neglected to say why.

18. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

brigs chocolate chip pancakes with plenty of syrup :drool:

19. Coldsnap

damn bruh. Good idea

20. Coldsnap

Charly I'm just wondering do you deload every 4th week?