1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. gort

gort Well-Known Member

Back in 2007 I tried crossfit after a coworker was doing the standard crossfit preaching which most of us hate. I stopped after a month because of poor coaching attention and I ended up tweaking my knee which resulted in me having to quit playing ice hockey for a while.

Anyways, fast forward to this year. My fiancée and I moved in together in December and she was doing crossfit on her own over the summer while I was doing standard RHET lifting. Anyways, in January she wanted to do crossfit again and I told her I'd give it a shot with her figuring I'd do it for a month then go back to my own thing. I hated the whole crossfit cult mentality before but I figured I"d give it a shot since I had put on some pounds over the holidays. The gym we joined is really, really great surprisingly. They do a ton of stuff with wounded vets with prosthetics, and are really attentive with their coaching. Tons better than another gym we stopped by when trying to choose one that just screamed the crossfit stereotypical poor coaching with injuries waiting to happen. It's pretty humbling getting your ass kicked by a guy in a workout with one leg.

That said, I'll never announce that I do it anywhere on a tee shirt or car sticker, etc, because I don't want to have anything to do with the crossfit bro mentality. If you can find a gym that has a more personal touch it could be a much better experience than the crossfit standard. I'm not preaching about crossfit, only suggesting that there may be some diamonds in the rough in terms of finding a gym that isn't a total bro fest frat house waiting to get you injured.

2. sonick

sonick Well-Known Member

Took me fucking 15 mins of googling and searching through this thread to figure out what RHET stands for. :brick: :foo:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. stinger70

stinger70 Well-Known Member

Had lunch with a work mate i dont see very often but we talk on the phone a lot. He's rejoined the gym for about 3 months, and talks about it loads spends loads on supplements etc. I said i wasn't going to eat anything from the shop we went to as im cutting, had some food with me anyway, he goes and gets like some greasy samosa thing, a ready made pasta thing which is all carbs and a sugary drink. I was like i thought you were trying to get ripped? wheres the protein? He said yeah well i havent eaten anything today yet. I don't understand why people waste 4-5 days per week going to the gym if they dont make simple diet changes to actually get some form of results. No wonder he quit before and will likely quit again in a few months. I hardly spend anything on suppliments in comparison to him, but if i have to cut the carbs or not eat until 12pm or whatever i just do it, dunno why people find it so hard to stick to diets and stuff.

4. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Well-Known Member

how is IF working for you stinger

5. stinger70

I've only been doing it a week, so no results yet. Lost maybe 1lb i think. It's pretty convenient though and the hunger doesnt bother me. I'm hoping i`ll look a bit leaner after losing 10lbs.

6. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Well-Known Member

FUCK YEAAAAAAAAA~

Nailed 485 for 4 on the first set and 3 on the second set. :slayer:

5 people like this.
  7. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

because lifting for strength IS working to achieve the physique they want for 90% of this thread.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  8. smashwindow

smashwindow Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I'm back from jail, did nothing but calisthenics for 8 weeks, gained 10 lbs mostly fat, going on a keto for a while.

Looking at buying my own plates, bar and bench/rack. Any suggestions? I like the idea of powerblocks, and they have bars for them now too.

1 person likes this.
  9. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

come on. its like that for 3 or 4 guys. they just happen to dominate the conversation.

10. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

How the hell is it even POSSIBLE to create a bag of popcorn that is both burnt AND half unpoppped kernels.:brick:

11. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

yes, hence the 90% comment. makes sense

either way, i don't deny that there's strong groupthink slanted towards strength training on here but i think its justified

12. Eason

Eason Well-Known Member

Well, it isn't psoas. It doesn't quite seem to be the IT band either. Maybe inguinal ligament- I can't reach it with my fingers, it seems to be too deep.

13. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

fair enough I suppose

might be your actual hip. why don't you PM Axelman. he might be able to relay some of the pain he had when he fucked up his hip capsule.

14. stinger70

Everyone seems to have taken up deadlifting at my weekend gym. 3 other people were doing it today, normally im the only one. A brah thats way bigger than me was struggling with 80kg for sets of 6, and a personal trainer was overseeing someone also using about 80kg but with a really rounded back, didnt offer any pointers or correct his form. Everyone has their legs too far apart but still pulling conventional, looks awkward. Added a little weight to all lifts except deads which i didnt attempt to.

15. Eason

Eason Well-Known Member

I'm going to see a GP to get a referral and then see a PT hopefully this month. It's just impossible to figure out, there's just so many hip pathologies and it makes me paranoid reading them, wondering if I need surgery to remove a bursa or all kinds of shit.

Just to make sure it isn't my technique, here's a video from today for a form check. My right hip never really hurts during the squat (well, except for when something in my hip snapped the first 2 times), but immediately after it's extremely tight and irritable. I was wearing oly shoes for front squats so I took them off as not to give false ideas about my flexibility.

This is my #1 fear: a gym full of clueless bros deadlifting

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  16. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

My gym is a gym full of clueless bros OLY lifting.

Scary as fuck. They do it in the most crowded areas, too...where you HAVE to walk within a couple feet of them to get from place to place.

17. conceptionist

conceptionist Well-Known Member

Yeah, my gym also has loads of guys DLing wrong. Most of them have a too wide stance and are extremely slow on the negative, sort of how you want to do a RDL, except they don't lean back at all and get no tension in the hamstrings.

Most of my friends work out more than me (I do 3 split, they do stupid 5 day BB splits without any compounds) and they make zero progress or diet adjustments. One of them recently moaned over gaining 5 pounds of fat in a month and next thing he does is go all out on the weed munchies (talking a full box off ice cream, one bag of chips, two big coke bottles and some chocolate).

There are two or three really strong dudes at my gym though. 400-500 pound squats and DLs for reps with good form.

18. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

Weed munchies isn't exactly eating by choice I would say

19. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Well-Known Member

weed suppresses my appitite FWIW..

Toked up a bit, ran to the gym (1.5 miles) in the gorgeous sun, worked out, trained this chick i'm seeing, had an awesome PWO meal.

Now i'm gonna take a nap

Life's good RHET bros.

20. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Well-Known Member

With my hip, I felt a deep pinching whenever my hip was compacted ie at the bottom of my squat, even sitting on the toilet etc. Nagging pain, didnt respond to PT. If you can rehab it through PT, it is probably not a labrum tear.