1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Flame

Flame Well-Known Member

Yo back pics. How to acheive strong erectors aka diamond in lower back?

[​IMG]

Also, I will be training my faculty basketball team for strength and conditioning. If we have a game on Fri, will squatting Mon and unilateral movements (aka Bulgarian splits) on Sat be fine?
    Thinking of throwing in upper body work on Tuesday, active rest (cardio) on Wed, recovery on Thurs. Sun will be a rest as well.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  2. stinger70

stinger70 Well-Known Member

looking at that picture i would guess you dont deadlift.

3. Flame

Flame Well-Known Member

Once a week. I'm still a skinny dude only 72kg @1.79m

4. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

Guy in the gym who looked just like knucks today, ill try get a photo with him next time. He was smaller obviously, but he looked similar. Like a dyel version. It was almost like I was training with knucks, I could basically hear him calling me a phaggot and saying why the fuck are you doing rear delt flys and curls on pull day and not even deadlifting, why do you spend more time eye fucking yourself in the mirror then lifting? Very motivating.

2 people like this.
  5. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Well-Known Member

That really sucks. They were at a price point I have been comfortable with for a while for the ~year I get out of a pair of pants and they looked solid.

In better news, Blue Owl told me N&F is revamping their Slim Guy cut to slightly taper the leg, so that has potential if the thigh:waist ratio isn't too skewed.

6. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

I had the weirdest fucking dream that probably shows I have some underlying gym insecurities. Pretty much I got put inside a concentration camp for not looking like I lifted, but i was yelling my squat and deadlift numbers to no avail.

7. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Well-Known Member

but
    but
    but
    I used to be
    a
    weightlifter

curtain

8. sexonfabric

sexonfabric Well-Known Member

Bought some New Balance Zero Trail shoes to lift in...should be a massive improvement on my squishy Free Run 3s

[​IMG]

Also enjoying my new supplements from The Protein Works...highly recommended for other UK folk.

9. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

Moving into my 2 bedroom today, getting my living setup to ultimate mobility mode. Super pumped. I need some sort of large carpet/rug 5 foot x 5 foot on the super cheap to do mobility stuff on...

10. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Well-Known Member

^ my guest room only has my desk, chair, computer, foam roller, lx ball, 4' broomstick, and an air mattress in the closet

11. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

4 pints of ice cream acquired. more to come. gonna have an ice cream social for one today.

12. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

make a zen room so you can bliss out and stuff, make sure to put tacky buddha pictures everywhere.

fatty

but i did eat a large pizza + 20 wings + loaf of garlic bread + fries + 3 cokes yesterday so i cant say anything

13. conceptionist

conceptionist Well-Known Member

I've had this exact problem. The following is from personal experience. I don't know if it's all "correct", but it has worked for me.

You need to strengthen your core and be able to recruit it during the squat. Do heavy ab work (weighted planks, GHR sit-ups, hanging leg raises, etc). Practice on taking the biggest breath of air you possibly can and pull it all into your stomach. At the same time, flex your lower back as hard as you can. Hold the tension for the whole squat.

I find it easier to get the form right if I squat straight down instead of trying to sit back a lot. Low bar sit back does not work with poor flexibility and weak core. If you do more of a high bar style squat, you don't want to use as much hip drive. You want to be able to activate the glutes so they can push you up. You should feel the glutes flex at the bottom.

The reason I hyperextended on the way up was partly because of chest rising too fast, but also because I was losing tension. If you are able to hold that tension - belly full of air, lower back flexed and glutes active, during the whole squat, you pretty much can't hyperextend. It helps to keep the upper body more upright. Do mobility work to get your knees far out to the sides (external rotation) and sit more straight down and it should come by itself.

Stop back squatting for now. Try goblet squats first and see if you can do them properly. When you can, progress to front squats. This is how far I've come after a couple of months of trying to address this problem. I will continue with front squats until I can do them correctly and heavy. After that it's on to box squats and finally to back squats.

Also, I think the reason your upper back is rounding is because your not holding on to something, a bar for instance.

2 people like this.
  14. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Well-Known Member

Throw in some conventional deadlifts in your routine.

15. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

LOL just tried out Instagram for the first time today...brb looking cut at 13% bf. Those filters are HIGHLY misleading lmao. No wonder girls love this shit so much.

[​IMG]

16. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Been running PHAT for two and a half week.

Dat pump after chest and arms day
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2 people like this.
  17. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

Nice work pilot! Are you bulking atm? If so how much are you gaining?

18. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Well I haven't changed up my diet at all, so I'm just running PHAT and seeing what happens. I wouldn't be surprised if I put on a few pounds over the coming weeks, but I'm not intentionally bulking. Sitting around 197-200 right now.

P.s. you're looking good (no homo) at 13%. How low are you taking it 6-7ish?

19. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

Will be going down to 180 the week before comp...will probs put me around 6 or so. Will likely step on stage at 175

20. Flame

Flame Well-Known Member

just to clarify, its my routine, not the team's?