1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. jabster410

jabster410 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, question about 5/3/1. This past week was the "3" week, and on my last set I was able to get 6-7 reps for each of the four main lifts. Is this normal or should I be struggling to get any more than the three it calls for? Can I possibly up my calculated maxes moving into the next wave or should I stick to the 5 lb. increase upper body and 10 lb. lower body and just stick with the program as it was designed? Just looking for some advise from anyone else who has used this program. Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  2. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

I did 5/3/1 for a year. Trained with someone who has done it for 4 years, now switched to the cube method. He stresses in the book and everyone who has been successful with it also says that it's best to start out low. If you are cranking 6-7+ reps on your 3+ reps that's fine, you are right where you need to be; do the standard increases. Just keep your form in check and enjoy the ride.

1 person likes this.
  3. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

Nobody who is serious about losing weight gets by with guesstimating how much they are eating.

And by serious, I mean those who get to sub-10% BF and don't lose all their LBM in the process.

1 person likes this.
  4. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Pulled 405 for a triple tonight (previous PR). Got over zealous and tossed on 455. Pulled about 3in of the ground and dropped it. Then ended up pulling 425lbs for a fairly easy PR single. Hhhnnnnnggg

5. Benesyed

Benesyed Well-Known Member

yo tk what speciality are you looking at?

6. ElDave

ElDave Well-Known Member

I'm new to this thread (but not new to fitness/bodybuilding). Was getting ready to compete in physique when I got hit with some still-undiagnosed digestive issue. Lost 26lbs in the last three months, but was still able to pull 315x5 today at 176lbs after not touching a weight for six weeks. I can live with that.

Unless you are genetically disposed to have ultra-low bodyfat (i.e. visible abs) it's not healthy to maintain such low bodyfat. While it's not good to be obese, it's also unhealthy to maintain ultra-low bodyfat (again, unless you are genetically disposed to be that lean).

Even bodybuilders who are dedicated to their diets have to take time for an off-season...the point of which is not just to gain muscle, but to restore the metabolism after dieting to an extreme level.

7. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

Radiology....might consider Anesthesia as well.

1 person likes this.
  8. Benesyed

cool

i was looking at interventional rad subspec for neurosurg

9. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

Are you a med student? Resident?

10. Benesyed

Med Student. 2nd year.

11. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

I didn't just eat a full meal at wendys then chipotle then some ice cream >.>

1 person likes this.
  12. smashwindow

smashwindow Well-Known Member

Was thnking bene the fastest way to get results would be to run a 10 day keto followed immediately by zig zag, the key would be to run the zig zag with a goal of mild weight loss maybe 10-20% net cal drop per week., so you could do 3 maintenance days on work days and -20% on off days. If you run keto then just bunk off and go back to eating whatever you will gain what you lost plus more.

13. Benesyed

I'm going to weigh out my portions. Also going to try to drink 3-4 glasses of water before eating. I think sometimes it takes my brain sometime to realize my stomach is a-ok. Gonna give that two weeks. I dont want to fuck with keto because pragmatically i dont have enough meat in my diet to do it and chances are ill fuck it up. If weighing + excess water doesnt work then ill just watch my macros and go by the book.

I am not in any rush, would actually prefer slow stable losses . I feel like you are more likely to retain those changes. Ill report back in a month or so. I would be lean as i want if i could do the cardio that i wanted/was able to before med school.

14. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

so the cube method website just promised me it would do my dishes, give me a beej and leave me shitting gold bullion. funny its coming from the same site that emphasized "just do the fuckin lifts" and yet is now selling ***the secret*** to lifting success

15. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Well-Known Member

16. Eason

Eason Well-Known Member

Thanks. These have already been copped: [​IMG]

17. Eason

Eason Well-Known Member

Whether you're hungry or not is a matter of when you last eat and what you ate more than calories. Basically you should find out your TDEE using a calculator such as this:

http://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator

Then determine your protein and fat needs (1.1g/lb bw protein, .4g/lb fat), then fill in the rest of your calories with carbs.

Use www.myfitnesspal.com or something similar to enter in your food intake on a typical day, even if you don't use it to track calories (I do, it's been extremely helpful) you'll still get an idea of whether you're at a surplus or not.

1 person likes this.
  18. Benesyed

3k according to this bad boy. Alright alright.

Also what stuff do you suggest to keep me feeling full. Also its weird but I dont crave sweets or any junk until AFTER a meal. After that its crazy sometimes i will grab a peice of chocolate and start eating it reflexively!

19. Eason

Eason Well-Known Member

Fats! Cheese, olive oil, or avocados are where I get all my dietary fat from. If you eat too many carbs with not enough protein/fat then you'll still feel like you're craving sth. If you don't eat enough carbs then you'll find that you'll be craving carbs after a meal regardless sometimes. Get some low-calorie lemonade/soda if that's your thing, I even drink it on high carb workout days because it tastes fucking good and doesn't add to my macros at all, but stops me from craving sweets.

20. Benesyed

ill try that. ripped bene is about to make his return! fuck you med school!

2 people like this.