1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Well-Known Member

When you guys deadlift, do you lock your shoulders or allow them to stretch / pull down as far as they can be pulled? I generally had been keeping myself rigid from lower to upper back, but recently watched a Rippetoe vid where he is very much talking about letting the shoulders slope and pull downward. I try to lock myself into a natural lower and upper curve.

---

Months ago, when I first started squatting at my upper end, I had some deep joint pains which were described as my body adapting to the shock and were expected to subside. They did, I was pleased. I've got that in my elbows now, hoping it's the same deal.

---

When you guys bench, what muscles do you imagine are being worked? I'm losing a good sense of what muscles I should be using to push the bar up. Should I be imagining my elbows coming in? I find that helpful at times when it's hard to keep my shoulders pinched and against the bench.

2. why

why Well-Known Member

When you guys deadlift, do you lock your shoulders or allow them to stretch / pull down as far as they can be pulled? I generally had been keeping myself rigid from lower to upper back, but recently watched a Rippetoe vid where he is very much talking about letting the shoulders slope and pull downward. I try to lock myself into a natural lower and upper curve.

Protract the shoulder blades at the beginning of the pull, then retract them after the legs get locked out. Keeping them retracted through the entire pull is a waste of leverage and energy.

Months ago, when I first started squatting at my upper end, I had some deep joint pains which were described as my body adapting to the shock and were expected to subside. They did, I was pleased. I've got that in my elbows now, hoping it's the same deal.

Cartilage or ligament inflammation most likely. If it gets worse, back off a bit and let it heal.

It depends on what part of the lift. I didn't consciously think about what muscles were being used, but I knew how to produce the most force and which muscles should be bearing the load at the different parts in the lift. Usually it's:

(from descent to chest to lift)
    Pecs with elbows locked
    Lats activate as bar descends
    Good lat stretch followed by reflex push
    After the bar leaves the chest, pecs activate, then immediately after that the shoulders activate
    At the sticking point, shoulders take more load from pectorals and triceps press
    After that the shoulders and pectorals largely maintain tension to keep the glenohumeral joint fixed while triceps lock out

3. db_ggmm

Thanks yo, seriously. Good shit.

4. Pennglock

Pennglock Well-Known Member

It amazes me everyday that science fails to override the wive's tales and opinions that are rampant in the fitness industry. Twain was right when he said "The truth is easy to kill. But a lie well told is immortal."

I don't disagree, but part of the problem is that much of the so-called science done in this domain is of very poor quality.

E.g. a particular study design in exercise usually tests a very narrow range of subjects and outcomes, but the authors in their conclusion fail to stress how limited their finding really is. Then when the media picks up on the story they extrapolate the results well beyond anything justified in the data. Sometimes even the authors themselves, who should know better, leap to overly broad conclusions. Hard to say if they're doing it for personal gain or if the community of 'exercise scientists' really are total knuckleheads.

5. Zenny

Zenny Well-Known Member

bro-science is awesome.

6. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Well-Known Member

I got Ripptoe's book. Reading it now and will apply it tomorrow.

7. RedLantern

RedLantern Well-Known Member

I like it, the pump.

8. Hangdog

Hangdog Well-Known Member

May try weighted muscle-ups soon. Need to make sure no dumbass is near me doing cable crossovers so when the dumbbell comes flying out from between my ankles it hits him in the head.

9. Invicta

Invicta Well-Known Member

May try weighted muscle-ups soon. Need to make sure no dumbass is near me doing cable crossovers so when the dumbbell comes flying out from between my ankles it hits him in the head.

Yea, I see this going really horribly wrong...maybe time to shell out for a weight vest if you're really going to try this.

10. Eason

Eason Well-Known Member

I took about 5 days off, felt great coming back.

11. jaydc7

jaydc7 Well-Known Member

Yea, I see this going really horribly wrong...maybe time to shell out for a weight vest if you're really going to try this.

+1, or see if they have a weight belt at the gym.

12. charliesierra

charliesierra Active Member

[​IMG]

Maybe so but guess what, it works for me.[​IMG]

13. Hangdog

Hangdog Well-Known Member

Oh I'm positive it'll go horribly wrong. Ride the tiger.

14. db_ggmm

Hoping to do the same. Got 48hrs left.

15. wahwho11

wahwho11 Well-Known Member

welcome back
    [​IMG]

16. stewartu

stewartu Well-Known Member

Just for the hell of it I eliminated all liquids other than water and morning coffee for the last 22 days. Increased water intake to 3-1/2+ liters/day.

Lost about 5 pounds (I guess from avoiding juice and booze);
    Sleep great
    Skin feels great

Really looking forward to some juice at the end of the month.

17. db_ggmm

Iron Addicts dude definitely thinks a skinny guy shouldn't be using only 60s for rest periods between sets. I guess I forgot that I started doing that only to attack a particular plateau and then just habitually stuck with it. Time for more 2 minutes.

18. Gravitas

Gravitas Well-Known Member

Well, I'm hot blooded, check it and see
    I got a fever of a hundred and three

Well, not right now, i'm down to a low 102 at the moment. I might have mono, what a great way to start the semester at a new school. I don't feel as bad as i'm hearing I should be, I didn't realize I had a fever until I got checked out. Strep quicktest was negative, and no mono test was done as she said it was probably too early, but i'm really hoping it isn't mono.

If it is though, this could put a hamper on any progress, i'm just hoping I don't feel constant fatigue, at the moment I don't feel strange outside the fever (bit of soreness in my back from that) and insanely sore throat.

Ah well, maybe they'll let me have a car if I do have mono and claim fatigue.

19. db_ggmm

I have my elbow pain tagged pretty well to back squats. It's relatively easy to find people who complain of the same issue with a search and it flares up right during my sets. The general advice is to widen the grip and more stretching.

It's weird because I specifically worked on tightening my upper body more than I used to because I am working on pushing my poundage up. I re-read articles on squat form and keeping the elbows further down and shoulders pinched more stood out to me as something I could improve upon.

20. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

Took a week off and suffered. All of my numbers were down.. so much hard work gone [​IMG]