1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random food thoughts - Street edition

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by i01111000, May 12, 2013.

1. jet

jet Well-Known Member

I know who I'm eating with next time.

2. momentoftruth

momentoftruth Well-Known Member

lmao apparently this documentary on "foodies" is a real thing. Will be released in Feb 2014

[​IMG]

3. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Well-Known Member

^will watch, thanks for the tip

4. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Well-Known Member

Parts Unknown S2 was excellent: loved the Detroit, Jerusalem and South Africa episodes the most! Although New Mexico was damn cool too.

5. momentoftruth

momentoftruth Well-Known Member

yeah I was mostly disappointed with s1 but this batch of episodes was really good. Agreed with your list (except NM which bored me), although the best overall segment might've been the Robot Battle in Tokyo.

6. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

any hawaiians here? I just made poi. pretty good starchy base for other stuff: grilled fish, veggies.

7. Biggskip

Biggskip Well-Known Member

Will be in Chicago this weekend and will probably get some Italian Beef at some point. Do I go Portillio's, Mr. Beef, or other?

8. Hirsh

Hirsh Well-Known Member

Going to my favourite Italian restaurant for lunch on Sunday, to fuel me for shopping in the afternoon!:)

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  9. Kvc06

Kvc06 Well-Known Member

Al's Beef on Taylor st. I suppose I can endorse Portillos as well.

10. Biggskip

Biggskip Well-Known Member

You're about a week late, but perhaps others can learn from your knowledge.

Alas, I only made one mistake with my dining dollars while in Chicago. I had the donuts from Glazed and Infused. They were fine, but at $3 a pop, not that good.

Loaded my cooler with frozen pizzas from Lou Malnatii's (my personal fave).

11. Hirsh

Hirsh Well-Known Member

Sunday has finally arrived...but do I have 4 cheese pizza or macaroni cheese???

I love both so it's a tough call, but ATM the pizza is calling me..just another few hours to go!:)

12. jet

jet Well-Known Member

have you considered a salad or something else with some actual nutritional content?

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  13. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

14. 1969

1969 Well-Known Member

Upcoming stops in Chicago and Seattle- downtown for both. Need some cheap street food recs please. Food carts, counter service or cheap sit down places are all appreciated. Legit international is preferred over hipster food unless it's completely off the chain can't miss.

15. Kvc06

Kvc06 Well-Known Member

Not really much worth mentioning downtown... We're also not really known for counter service unless you're into Chicago Dogs/Beef - in which case check out Portillos and/or Al's Beef

M Burger is good
    Pierogi Heaven
    Blackbird does a $25 three course lunch
    Xoco is awesome

There's a Pho place in my office building that's always packed - Green Apple

There's some cool stuff in the French Market which is in a train station.

Where specificially are you staying by?

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  16. Kvc06

Kvc06 Well-Known Member

Yeah Glazed is crazy overpriced...

Good call on the Lou's :slayer:

I suppose I'll put in a request as well:

Anything for Charlotte, NC or NYC near central park?

17. 1969

1969 Well-Known Member

KVC thanks. I'm staying at Hotel Lincoln (south end of Lincoln Park) and working around the southeast side of the 290/94 interchange (Harrison and Canal basically). I love pierogies so that's on the list for sure as is Lou Mals.

I'm actually from Charlotte originally. Price's Chicken Coop is still open and it's pretty great. Other than that all the great soul food places and meat and three have closed.and the rest of it's a culinary wasteland.
    (EDIT: there are some decent ethnic places along Central Ave like Ben Thanh, Cedarland and probably some mexican and central american places I can't recall)

18. Kvc06

Kvc06 Well-Known Member

Awesome - I will check those out.

I love Hotel Lincoln! I've stayed there with the girlfriend for a staycation. You will love the bar there - it's a summer destination with an awesome rooftop and great drinks. The hotel restaurant is quite acclaimed as well but a little pricey.

There are actually quite a few good options near there for cheap food.

Edzo's (famous burger shop)
    Crisp (Korean Chicken Wings)
    Del Seoul (Korean Tacos)
    Kuma's Too (Lincoln Park outpost of our most famous burger shop)
    2 Sparrows for breakfast/brunch

I eat out way too much...

1 person likes this.
  19. steveoffice

steveoffice Well-Known Member

i discovered this thread too late... all the donut places in chicago are overpriced and mediocre minus donut vault (good but still overpriced) and old fashioned. at least you had lou mal's :D

20. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Thought I'd revive this.

I'm in Lyon right now, and Lyon is one of the food capitals of France. There are 31 Michelin Stars in the city, and there are entire streets of awesome restaurants, every one of which, in most other cities, would be hands down the best restaurant in that city.

Although it has a reputation for being hoity toity, the best French food is essentially peasant fare, and it's mostly all about the sauces. I like to go early to lunch - places are mostly empty for the first 30 minutes after then open at 12, and it's nice to have the place mostly to yourself, and have the best seat. A lot of places, people recommend reservations, but honestly, it's not NYC or San Francisco, where people line up for a ridiculously long time for a mix between a croissant and a donut. Unless it is a place that has been on t.v. a lot, you can walk into even the best restaurants, during an unbusy time, and eat there.

Today's lunch:
    The world's best tuna salad (seriously, that is pretty close to what it is:)
    [​IMG]
    the slightly spicy pickled peppers really make this dish. Oh, and the tuna is probably not from a can.

The second course was, duck! Not much to say about this, except that the meat was cooked perfectly, and the sauce was really tasty. A bit salty, not very sweet. Also, only in France are the accompanying vegetables so good. The sweetness all came from the roasted carrots.

[​IMG]

The other thing is that really good cheese, in France, is cheap. I had half of a Saint-Marcelin in lieu of desert, It was included as part of the meal, which was 25 Euros. In the US, that would have been a $10 piece of cheese at some specialty store. At a restaurant, a cheese plate is typically $12 or more. This restaurant, the Brasserie le Sud, is sorta a famous place (thus the non-peasant style of plating). Most places, the menu de jour tops out at $20 Euros or so, and a lot of places have decent menus for about $12-13 Euros at lunch.

4 people like this.