1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random Food Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Apr 8, 2010.

1. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

Jerry Seinfeld voice: What's the deal with supermarket chickens? Whenever I try to grill a whole one (gas grill on two different types) I find the cooking times are way off for recipes. Made this one yesterday and the 30-45 minutes for cooking on the cool side was closer to about an hour. I had a 4-pound bird. Other times I've never been able to come close to the timing of other recipes. Just curious if there's something to me getting publix chickens and harder to cook or what. Wasn't able to get a good spatchcocking done on the chicken (bad kitchen shears), could that have played a role?

2. edinatlanta

Anyone remember when you could turn on the food network and learn from watching good chefs cook instead of the same theme used on four different, increasingly cockamamie game shows? Oh and then there's "Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives" and "Burgers, BBQ & Brews". Bet they're different.

3. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

what's a cool thing I can do for oysters as a single "small plate" dish? Was thinking about something involving cucumbers, which I can juice ahead of time, but what's a good way to put this together? Maybe like a cucumber/lemon/black pepper type of deal?

4. foodguy

foodguy Well-Known Member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

oysters with cucumber granita is very much a thing. personally, i like my oysters plain. but i'm a plebe.

1 person likes this.
  5. Douglas

Douglas Well-Known Member

I'm cooking for a crowd for an outdoorsy thing and had considered grilling flank steak. I wondered if sous-vide cooking prior to finishing on the grill just to brown and get some charcoal flavor would provide benefits. I was thinking that the long sous-vide cook would allow a marinade flavor to really soak in, and also allow the flank to tenderize, but that relies on the temp being high enough to tenderize the connective fibers in flank.... Was also thinking I'd go a little under temp to allow the grilling to bring things up to MR, so maybe 125 or something in the sous vide....

Thoughts?

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Douglas, good to see you!

I'm not sure of the answer to your question but was pondering just this weekend of trying something very similar to that. It seems logical and that it should work.

7. Douglas

Good to see you too, P. I've been lurking a little more of late.

8. foodguy

i think that's overthinking it. flank steak will cook in 10 minutes without sous-vide. use a very high heat, flip 3X to get even hit distribution (if you rotate the steak each time, you'll also get those cool hashmarks). if you want it to be tender (and of course you do), slice it thinly across the grain and on a bias so you get nice wide slices. just did it last weekend and it's a great cut of meat.

1 person likes this.
  9. Douglas

Thanks for weighing in, FG.

I see where you're coming from, and I do know that's how to cook flank, but with ~40 ppl I'm only going to have so much grill space, probably have to do 4 of these guys, and was hoping this would be a good way to tear through them in minutes as opposed to 20 minutes (2 flanks at a rip, 10 minutes each), and also have no risk of overcooking, or deal with the long rest, or dealing with the inherent issues with flank's varying thickness.

Still, I will reconsider.

10. foodguy

it could save a bit of time in those quantities. but figure it's going to take 5-7 minutes to get a good sear on them, i'm not sure the time savings would be commensurate with the hassle. plus, sous-videing meat can give it a weird texture, if the cooking time is at all extended (enzymatic action within certain temperature parameters makes the meat rubbery). i'd try one and see, cooked against one normal.

11. Douglas

Yeah, the exact times and temps were worrying to me. I'm not a meat expert, and I know some cuts take better to sous vide than others, and can have more or less sensitivity to time, and that the times and temps are subject to things about the meats that I may not appreciate. Example: I think sous-videing brisket or short ribs at 140 is never going to get you anywhere, because the connective tissue in those cuts doesn't break down at those temps, and you just end up with rubber. Ultimately, that was my question. I poked around on the web and saw recipes for sous vide flank, but as you have pointed out in other places, I'm not sure people test recipes anymore and the internet is full of questionable sources, and none that I found were ones I considered authoritative. Maybe I just ought to stick with conventional grilling and not take the risk.

Generally, I far prefer skirt cooked in this way, but I'd have to do 8-10 skirts this way and it's just too cumbersome, and skirt is also damned expensive in comparison to flank.

12. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Well-Known Member

Sous viding short ribs for 48-72 hours at 140 makes them amazing.

13. Douglas

Thanks, appreciate the insight. I will try it someday :)

Though I wonder if my foodsaver can vacuum seal them well enough for that extended a cook. I don't have a chamber vac.

14. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Not sure I would trust a ziplock for that duration, but a foodsaver should be totally fine.

15. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

Seconded. I never fuck with oysters unless they're bland.

16. edinatlanta

any recommendations from buying a tagine? Don't tell @foodguy but I was inspired to do so by a recent LA Times article.

17. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Buy a small one so that when you inevitably stop using it, it doesn't waste too much space in your cupboard.

2 people like this.
  18. edinatlanta

I was already planning on it because I only cook for myself.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. foodguy

we'll try to keep it quiet. but i'm glad.
    paula wolfert recommends someplace called .... wait for it ... tagines.com. you knew there had to be one, right?

1 person likes this.
  20. Douglas

don't mistype that as taginas.com

i don't know what will pop up but it can't be good.

2 people like this.