1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random Food Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Apr 8, 2010.

1. sonick

sonick Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

probably just a rinse to wash off spices and seasonings. I wonder if a few hours might drain too much actual shell flavor, hot or not.

3. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  4. t3hg0suazn

t3hg0suazn Well-Known Member

Do any of you sign up for a CSA for either vegetables or meat from a farm? I was thinking about it; seems like a nice way to cook with in season ingredients, and maybe forces you to be a bit more creative. Don't know anything about how practical (or economical) it is.

5. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

you can even work at some farms for a csa share. i remember a friend working their retail stand at the farmers markets on saturdays and they gave him a share for it. he really liked doing it

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  6. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Well-Known Member

It's economical and can be practical. But make sure you research what you can expect to be getting. When you get 10lbs of kohlrabi... well.

7. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Well-Known Member

i'vve been getting a farm share for the past 3 years. it's pretty good but you do get some weird shit sometimes or like, way too much cabbage. It's not really the best thing to do for economical reasons.

If you're doing it to be creative, that's cool, bit if you just want in season/fresh produce just hit up the farmer's market.

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  8. tropics

tropics Well-Known Member

signed up for a 1/2 share this year for the first time - every second week. veg, fruit, flowers and eggs.
    part of the deal is that i have to volunteer to help at the pickup at least once, i'm fine with that though.

9. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

Looking for advice on grill choices. Anyone want to help a brother out?

10. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

If you can, get a propane one. They are less annoying.

11. edinatlanta

Well I'm not happy with my propane. It doesn't put off enough heat from the burners and stuff takes forever to cook. So I'm looking to go with a charcoal grill because I would also like to smoke things.

Which means I might just do a a Weber kettle but I am also thinking about this grill with an offset-smoker. I figure it would likely be the most versatile

This electric smoker I guess would be OK but fairly limiting. If it's not a good smoker I would definitely pass altogether.

The standard Brinkman smoker says it can be used as a grill too but I don't know how well it would work as one.

What I am leaning toward is just getting a kettle or the offset and later getting a dedicated electric smoker for ~150. I really don't need that much of a cooker and smoking would not be my first use for the grill.

So, any thoughts on what I should do?

12. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I think you have charcoal and propane confused...

13. GraphicNovelty

You can smoke things on a propane grill...

14. edinatlanta

15. GraphicNovelty

you might not be happy with your own propane but that's not necessarily an indictment against all propane, which can indeed smoke things using the chips-in-foil-packet method.

16. edinatlanta

Correct but I am trying to go for a charcoal for now.

17. GraphicNovelty

Ah.

Well if i remember when i get home i'll let you know what ATK recommends.

18. foodguy

foodguy Well-Known Member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    i used propane for years and went back to a weber about 10 years ago and never looked back. the two things i'd recommend: get the one with the removable ash catcher underneath. and get the one with the workstation attached. huge convenience.
    my neighbor who is a boy with toys, just paid $1500 for a pellet grill that will also do smoking -- though not cold-smoking. it looks pretty sweet but we haven't broken it in yet.

19. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Loving my pellet convection oven (as that's what it really is.). Make no mistake though it's not good for regular grilling.

20. t3hg0suazn

t3hg0suazn Well-Known Member

So I think I'm ready to make some upgrades on cookware. Want to start with a few pieces with the intention to use them for a long time (lifetime?). I think what I'd use most are, in approx. order:
    -Frying pan/skillet with sloped sides
    -Saucepan
    -Dutch oven/casserole for braising

I'm enamored by copper as a magical heat conducting material, but from previous posts it seems it's not really worth it for a frying pan? Is an all-clad 3-ply the way to go there? Does the new d5 make any noticeable difference? OTOH with the current price of the euro, the copper ware on the E. Dehillerin webshop don't look too much more expensive than all-clad.

When does copper really make a difference? Saucepan? Saute pan?

Is Le Creuset the way to go for a dutch oven?

I am ready to be educated [​IMG]. Will mostly be using these to cook French recipes (e.g., Simple French Food). Thanks!

Last edited: May 30, 2015