1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random Food Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Apr 8, 2010.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Give me an example?

2. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

3. foodguy

foodguy Well-Known Member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    i love a parsley salad with grilled meat -- curly parsley (stands up better), rub some garlic around the inside of the bowl, olive oil and lemon juice. really great.

4. patrickBOOTH

I find parsley to be kind of meh. I will give it another shot though.

5. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

Dill, spearmint, maybe a bit of basil, parsley, throw in some tomatoes, some other unkown central asian herbs, that's good stuff.

6. patrickBOOTH

Raw tomatos make me puke.

7. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

You could cook them sous-vide.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  8. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

raw tomatoes are really awesome (when they're in season. When they're not, rely on cherry/grape tomatoes)

1 person likes this.
  9. patrickBOOTH

I think they are all awful. I don't mind tomatoes cooked in sauce and such, I love everything made from them, but the taste of them raw will literally make me vomit. A lot of my family on my father's side is the same way. My grandparents from Italy hated raw tomatoes.

10. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

sun dried tomatoes.

11. patrickBOOTH

I can deal with those without puking, but I don't prefer them.

12. patrickBOOTH

My father is worse than me, if there is one seed on a sandwich or something he starts dry heaving. Just picture a handlebar mustached guy with two sleeves of tattoos dry heaving over a tomato seed.

13. t3hg0suazn

t3hg0suazn Well-Known Member

raw tomatoes with sugar sprinkled on top = great dessert
    tomato seeds do kind of disgust me when I look at them, so I just try to not look too closely

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

A really good tomato, and heirlooms seem to often be more meaty and "tomato-y" tasting, sliced thin with mozz, olive oil, S&P, maybe some fresh herbs....awesome.

15. mgm9128

mgm9128 Well-Known Member

Look closer and embrace that which you fear. :foo:

1 person likes this.
  16. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Well-Known Member

Chicken breasts are on sale today so i figured i'd pick up a bunch to SV and keep for lunches/topping salads/tossing with pasta/topping pizza etc (I'm on a big italian kick). What's the best SV protocol for getting an italian-y chicken? Olive oil? Dried mixed herbs/Garlic Powder/crushed red pepper/Salt/freshly ground Pepper? Put that stuff in the bag and then cook+shred? Sear and dice? Don't sear and dice? Make a white-wine-lemon-garlic-herb sauce and toss shredded chicken in?

17. Bhowie

Bhowie Well-Known Member

You own a sous vide machine but can't answer this question? Jesus your'e dumb.

18. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

19. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

Do any of you own a katsuo kezuri-ki/bonito shaver-thingy? Will a regular mandoline suffice--is the thinnest setting too thick?

Edit: Guess a kezuri-ki is better. But I'm having a hard time figuring out what's decent and what not. I'd probably have to order from Japan. Some are about 40€ (which I suppose are relatively crappy) and some are 80 €-ish (like the ones on Kirin). Guess the latter are better. Then again, they look pretty similar. Any experiences?

Also, do y'all store your soy sauce in the fridge?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  20. Dragon

Dragon Well-Known Member

Try to keep the soy sauce in a cool/dark place without direct sunlight. The point is to avoid big temperature changes, so if that's difficult you can just put it in the fridge.

The kezuri-ki is a little difficult...if you use one you can get a more fresh aroma (kind of like freshly grounded coffee) but it is difficult to get the thinness which is very important (the thinner the better). Also it requires frequent adjustment which can be a pain. The best solution is to order pre-shaved katsuo from a specialty shop because they shave super thin by machine for professional use. Also you can order it without the gut portion (chiai nuki) which makes the broth much more smooth. Regular flakes include everything so the resulting broth will never be the quality of good restaurants.

1 person likes this.