1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random Food Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

I've been baking a lot of chicken lately (including a whole chicken), and I always run into two issues: one, whats the easiest way to tell when you're chicken is cooked? I'm always a little undercooked -- but I don't want to leave it in too long and dry the chicken out. And second, when you're cooking bone-in pieces, is it better to trim the skin off or let it cut with the skin? Bear in mind that: I don't own any fancy kitchen equipment (basically all my stuff is thrifted) and I'm cooking with really, really cheap chicken.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  2. mgm9128

mgm9128 Well-Known Member

When the juices run clear from the thigh.

3. mgm9128

Is there any particular way to prepare grouper? I've never cooked it before.

4. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

temperature probe in the breast. should hit 160 degrees. i think.

5. mordecai

mordecai Well-Known Member

MM's tip is better IME

6. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

Breast and legs are always at odds with each other, which is why it is best to cook chicken on its side, turn on the other then put breast up at the end. Breast should be around 140 and leg at 165 to be perfect, but that pretty much flies in the face of USDA guidelines. At 155 pretty much all the juice is squeezed out of meat, which is why breast usually is dry as a bone, but legs have a good bit of collagen, and it both needs softening at a higher temperature, and gives the feeling of moistness even over 155.

7. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

is that what modernist cuisine said?

i like temperature probes simply cuz they're less subjective, less room for observational errors

8. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

Well, they don't believe in cooking food outside a waterbath, but classically, birds are roasted that way, or on a spit, and then the breasts are removed and served while the legs finish. Duck is always done this way, and chicken is quite often. It's just really hard to deal with the two different kinds of meats if you want an optimal result. Otherwise, cook the bird until the legs hit 160, then make sure you spoon a good amount of jus on the breasts when you eat them to make up for the dryness. It's not a bad result, and what I do at home 9/10 times.

9. tattersall

tattersall Well-Known Member

This is how I've cooked chicken - basically Robuchon's "Grand-mere" recipe. Last night for kicks I tried the Keller recipe from Ad Hoc - in retrospect, I should have removed the breasts after 50 minutes or so as the extra 20 minutes to get the thighs done led to some drying out of the breast meat. I'll be sticking with my usual from now on...

10. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

I wish I could find the temperature/timing for this method, but basically you crack the breast plate and lay the bird out flat, then when the breasts are nearing done, cover them with tinfoil and let the legs/thighs cook the rest of the way.

11. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

Yeah, don't. No snark intended. If you really want to eat it, throw it in a fish stew with other fish that actually taste good.

12. foodguy

foodguy Well-Known Member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    i used to rotate them (and i do still cook them on a rotisserie when i'm grilling). but for a beginning cook, i'm not sure it's worth the bother. i think the easiest way to tell if a chicken is done, if you don't have a thermometer (and if you do, put it in the deepest part of the thigh ... that'll be the last part to be cooked): the skin around the ankle will pull back. When you grab the ankle and twist, it will rotate in the knee. at that point, the connective tissue will have softened and the meat will be done.

13. mgm9128

I have 10 pounds of veal bones to make stock. Should I roast them first or not?

14. ama

ama Well-Known Member

I like the flavor more when the bones are roasted, but I'm pretty sure its a matter of personal preference.

15. kwilkinson

Yes.

16. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

What the fuck? Grouper is delicious.

17. kwilkinson

No.

18. mordecai

mordecai Well-Known Member

Anyone ever eat at Totoraku?

19. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Where's Floridiot #2 to back me up on this?

20. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Well-Known Member

Whoa, had never even heard of it before. Weird.