1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AntiHero84

AntiHero84 Well-Known Member

I did that when I moved out of my old and into my new apartment. Completely cleared out and streamlined my wardrobe. I sold all the clothes at a yard sale this weekend. Money from my clothes in addition to a ton of other crap added up to 350-400 dollars. It was sad to see some pieces go, especially when they were worn once or twice. In the end, I am much happier. I don't miss the old clothes and I enjoy looking at a well spaced closet with only the articles of clothing I really enjoy.

2. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

After looking around at a few stores over the weekend, prices are just astronomical these days for items that are not that great. Even at 50% off they're just exhorbitant. Sure highend gear has always been expensive, but nowadays I just feel like the pricing structure is out of touch with what people should be paying.

I'm in the process of thinning out the closet too, not to sell, but to just pack away for the time being until the day comes when I want to wear it. I don't want or need anything, and am quite happy with what I already have.

3. berlin report

berlin report Well-Known Member

Does anybody do the closet clean-out thing where you go in and throw out anything you haven't touch in a couple years? Or whatever the time rule is on that. I've started doing that, and I don't miss anything I've tossed away.
    I do this every six months or so but I really need to be more ruthless.

4. zissou

zissou Well-Known Member

Does anybody do the closet clean-out thing where you go in and throw out anything you haven't touch in a couple years? Or whatever the time rule is on that. I've started doing that, and I don't miss anything I've tossed away.

I do that often. It's very liberating. Although, now, I am pretty much down to EG, Mister Freedom, MTM, and a little J Crew, so I won't be throwing any of that away. If you are in doubt about whether or not you want to get rid of something, put it in another closet for a month and then if you haven't thought about it, it's ok to get rid of it.

5. APK

APK Well-Known Member

I cleared out my closet in general a couple weeks back. I'd been using it as a place to store my clothes, but also just about anything else in my apartment I didn't want out in the open. After much shuffling, tossing out, giving away, selling, etc., my closet's finally looking great. It looks more personalized without all the junk covering the floor, shelf, and rack.

6. amnesiac

amnesiac Well-Known Member

I keep changing my mind on my next big purchase. I was thinking JtG Harrington. Now I'm thinking Fred Perry sweater. In reality, I should be looking for a pair of dress shoes.

Why is it that I always want to buy what I sort of need, instead of what I really need?

I say get decent dress shoes ebay or thrifted and then a warrior harrington. i do prefer the jtg though.

7. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Well-Known Member

1) I'll probably be murdered for this and I am usually not one to attack brands because people have different taste, but I don't understand the love for EG. i will concede that in pictures (fit pics include) it looks great. Maybe if I saw people wearing it in the flesh, I'd like it too. The quality, however, is nothing to write home about. After hearing so much praise for the brand, I handled the pieces in person and was unimpressed. the fabrics didn't seem all that special and neither did the construction.

1b) On a slightly related note, I've handled some "higher end" designer items recently and was really unimpressed with the quality.

2) I would be happy to wear a heather grey tee, slim blue jeans, and some low tops for the rest of my life.

8. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

I've learned that I'm a little paranoid about delaying my purchases until sales time. I sometimes find that if I wait until a good sale, my sizes are gone. At the same time, if I pull the trigger early and go full retail, I feel guilty as hell.

9. raginberriodoom

raginberriodoom Well-Known Member

Since I'm a university student, I clean my closet on a regular basis, whenever I travel to and from home. A few pieces are sold/donated each time, and it really does make your wardrobe feel much more cohesive. Also, it makes me like my wardrobe better as a whole (go figure), and I like maintaining a neat closet. Robert is right too, I've never missed any pieces I've thrown out yet. Just gotta be meticulous...

10. Nil

Nil Well-Known Member

1) I'll probably be murdered for this and I am usually not one to attack brands because people have different taste, but I don't understand the love for EG. i will concede that in pictures (fit pics include) it looks great. Maybe if I saw people wearing it in the flesh, I'd like it too. The quality, however, is nothing to write home about. After hearing so much praise for the brand, I handled the pieces in person and was unimpressed. the fabrics didn't seem all that special and neither did the construction.

I can't really speak for the quality as I only own one shirt from them that I never wear, but I'm rather sick of the workwear aesthetic EG and other companies go for. Maybe it's because I grew up in a smallish town in Wisconsin and was surrounded by actual hunters and outdoorsmen, but there's only so many flannels and rustic knits I can handle. I do dig a lot of their outerwear though, unfortunately they are cut way too boxy for me.

11. Doin' Fine.

Doin' Fine. Well-Known Member

The Big Question:
    Why doesn't my mom understand I neeeeed these oxfords!!!!

I love you bro. Parents just don't understand. Inb4 my thread lmao.

12. Big Pun

Big Pun Well-Known Member

The closest clothing store to me that carries decent shit is at least 100 miles away. [​IMG]

13. Doin' Fine.

Doin' Fine. Well-Known Member

The closest clothing store to me that carries decent shit is at least 100 miles away. [​IMG]

Lol I live 20 minutes away from New York City.

14. Lel

Lel Well-Known Member

I wish we had an affiliate that carried high end fashion like Jil, Raf, Junya, etc. Not even for the discount, just for friendly services and knowing that my money is going towards a good store.

15. Lachy

Lachy Well-Known Member

I wish we had an affiliate that carried high end fashion like Jil, Raf, Junya, etc. Not even for the discount, just for friendly services and knowing that my money is going towards a good store.

+1.

I'm a bit over workwear, and while the likes of Mauro fill most of my clothing desires, I'd like to get some more of those brand styles. There are stores, but like you say, knowing who your dealing with, getting detailed responses about the garments, etc, would be great.

16. XenoX101

XenoX101 Well-Known Member

I'm having to come to terms that I can't look the way I want on the budget I'm on. Sigh.

17. RCG Tiburon

RCG Tiburon Well-Known Member

Dunno' but I'd love to see it take on some kind of form in fashion. I can almost envision it but I can't, like gothninja before gothninja ever became a term.

Can we talk about steampunk? Let's.

There's got to be a way to translate the word into a cohesive vision. Unfortunately I'm stuck with the same couple of things over and over:

http://www.geekologie.com/2008/05/is...n_the_next.php
    http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/member.php?u=7886

There's gotta be more to this.

18. Razele

Razele Well-Known Member

I'm looking at my list of buys for FW09 and it's getting smaller and smaller. Looking at NdG FW, the aviator jacket I was after does not look that impressve anymore.

However I continue to invest in basics I need. Getting some Krane bags and a bomber ATM. After that I'm finishing off my denim buys, NdG sweater and scarves / gloves and a classic leather in vintage horsehide I've found.

MTM and MTO is really taking up most of my future pursuits. I want plenty of button downs in oxford and pinpoint, and then stacks of shirts for work.

While I don't mind workwear costume I'm glad I haven't bought into it.

19. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Well-Known Member

+a fucking lot.

20. JesseJB

JesseJB Well-Known Member

I have a closet full of clothes but I almost always end up going out in APC NS, AA tees and Chucks because either:

a) its too hot out
    b) its raining
    c) I just want to go out and be relaxed and comfortable on weekend nights without having to adjust my Skulls/PBJs/whatever every time I sit down/stand up.

But 95% of the time this is the case, so I end up wearing the same look every day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.