1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicelynice

nicelynice Well-Known Member

Do the thumbs power the servers or something? :)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
    3 people like this.
  2. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

Yeah I don't understand why thumb drop off matters

I don't even remember what thumbing was like before comments went away. Was it always a two click procedure?

3. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

I have maybe looked at 2 actual comments. Don't care for them. The thumbs up,is enough.

4. Abraxis

Abraxis Well-Known Member

Well for content farms like forums -- I'd imagine in terms of advertising revenue and stuff -- any unequivocal downward trends in engagement metrics (which thumbs rate/# of thumbs probably is) is a bad sign that needs to be actioned on.

5. Nanimal

Nanimal Well-Known Member

favorite khaki field jacket?

6. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Well-Known Member

7. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Who are all these guys around you?

4 people like this.
  8. VitaTimH

VitaTimH Well-Known Member

I'd argue that in this case, it is the engagement metric itself that is becoming a less accurate gauge of engagement. Seeing a downward trend in the indicator of A and instantly assuming that levels of A are falling is jumping the gun, especially when the the indicator itself has fundamentally changed. I don't think anyone's less engaged (in SF's content, at least) because of thumb comments, it's just that thumbs are now biased downwards as a behavioral measure of engagement because there's one additional step in the process and we're lazy bastards.

9. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Except that thumbing is active engagement, not an indicator. We were interested to see if comments would spur engagement. It had the opposite effect.

10. Abraxis

What about the thought that the thumb comments themselves are another perhaps richer form of engagement + data? I'm not sure I believe that myself, but just pondering.

11. VitaTimH

VitaTimH Well-Known Member

It's both a form of engagement (in that it's a facet of overall engagement) as well as an indicator of overall engagement (thumbs themselves are not perfectly representative of overall engagement behavior, but are easily quantified). I'd argue that you'd have to see if overall rate of thread views / posts / replies decreased as a result of thumb comments being introduced. Sure, adding an extra step in the thumbs process reduced the overall rate of thumbs engagement, but also caused an increase in a previously unavailable form of engagement (thumb comments), which I'd argue are a much better indicator of active engagement because it's so much more involved than a vote up for a post.

The two forms just happen to be conflated because they use the same mechanism. Maybe a different thing to test would be a one-click thumb button, and a two-click thumb comment button? It'll add to visual clutter but it'll separate the two into two distinct streams of engagement, a quick and easy one and a more involved one.

edit: what Abraxis said basically. Also, I will say that I got quite a bit of useful feedback in thumbs comments that I don't think would have warranted a full post. I personally think an intermediary tier of engagement still has a lot of value.

edit 2: there's also a cut off for viewing thumbs / comments, right? Based on Fok's last comment I'm assuming views are tracked for each individual thumb comment somehow. I'm wondering how the cutoff affect the views.

12. zissou

zissou Well-Known Member

Or, maybe everyone just posted crap for a week and none of it deserved thumbs.

1 person likes this.
  13. Abraxis

Ooh that's a good idea. Might be too much UI clutter for most, but I also think after a time people will get used to the hassle of the most recent experience and engagement levels would return. People just react poorly to change even when its one they thought they wanted.

14. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Absolutely, but that reaches a small demographic, and the majority was clearly negatively impacted. Views of comments/thumbs did nor increase either...

15. msg

msg Well-Known Member

I've been considering Geller's black denim trucker jacket, but I only wear denim occasionally. Can't decide if I can wear a black denim jacket with my other pants, which are mostly wool and mostly Geller/Schneider/Ervell. Not much work wear or stuff similar in fabric or texture to a denim jacket. But I've irrationally got my heart set on the Geller jacket. I looked at some of Ervell's jackets, but not sure I like the technical fabrics. ToJ MA-1 in suiting wool??

16. DLester

DLester Well-Known Member

17. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Well-Known Member

same people on Youtube/hypebeast

18. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Well-Known Member

You just had to go and complain about doing one extra click, didn´t you? Way to spoil the fun for everyone else...

[​IMG]

19. NaTionS

NaTionS Well-Known Member

Let's move this discussion to the random thumb thoughts thread guys

5 people like this.
  20. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

I don't understand this engagement crap, thumb comments are well-liked by a few, they don't bother anyone else, let's keep them and move on. Should I start invoicing styleforum for my contributions? There is a community aspect where 10 randomguylookingfornewdressshirts aren't worth 1 stanleyvanburen. Maybe they are when it comes time to sell shit but to get a community moving on you need your big contributors and they all like thumb comments.

25 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.