1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

an sf instagram aint a bad idea to capture another audience...

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

We do have a Styleforum (mostly CM) tumblr. We also have an instagram (it's in my sig) that we don't use that much. I'm trying to decide how to use it, still. Also, it's getting to the point where we might need someone else to maintain it.

Cheers,

Fok.

3. sinnedk

I'd say use it as a best off, pick the cm & sw&d fits of the week or day post, with brand details. tag the brands as well it may generate some good publicity. a1923 is active on instagram, kinda interesting imo. retailers are as well.

4. LA Guy

Of the week is probably doable. I'm not sure about "of the day", and I don't know if it's a great social media strategy to have the same feed going to tumblr and twitter, much less instagram, tumblr, and twitter. Of course, the real question is, how does this actually benefit us, and how to we use it to our best advantage. Remember that we are not a retailer, nor a designer, and except for some special projects, which we will expand, we have nothing tangible to sell. We are a specialized form of spcial media, and high quality traffic and engagement are our bread and butter. Unlike a retailer or a brand, it's harder to see how to leverage those audiences to our benefit.

5. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

The instagram is not in your sig, fyi.

6. LA Guy

I only delete your posts so that I can keep your treasures all to myself.

As for your recipe, and no offense to your sweet grandmother, but it may be a bit too sweet.

7. LA Guy

That's because I fucking suck. I'll put it in there later.

8. notwithit

notwithit Well-Known Member

Any recommendations for a decent women's street style blog or two? Something in the vein of real people with real style, or at least wearing real clothing.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but sinnedk's idea sounds kinda good. Epaulet cherrypicks some WAYWTs to put on their Instagram, and it's nice to see some in-the-wild pics thrown in the mix. Obviously they're selling the clothing pictured so it's a fairly different endgame.

9. sinnedk

Was that your attempt at being sincere, I'm flattered

10. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

I like Stephanie Hoff

http://stephanie-hoff.tumblr.com/

2 people like this.
  11. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

Posting the best SF fits to Instagram or Tumblr doesn't strike me as a great idea. Why would you serve your own site's best content on a platform you don't own and can't monetize?

It doesn't even work that well as a promotional tool, since the content creator (whoever posted the fit) is the valuable one in that situation, not the fact that the creator posted their fit on SF.

I would need to think about it a bit more, but I don't really get how it would be beneficial.

3 people like this.
  12. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  13. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Well-Known Member

Reminds me of ads for art galleries that feature selected art. Offer juust a peak, but not much more

14. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  15. diniro

diniro Well-Known Member

We can have weekly styleforum member "curators" showing a slice of their life, kinda like superfuture's instagram, which stopped updating for awhile.

1 person likes this.
  16. LA Guy

This could be sorta cool. I'd make @Synthese curate the curators. I know that he is pretending to not read this.

10 people like this.
  17. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Well-Known Member

Agreed. It doesn't really make sense. And to further the point about the content creator being the valuable one, think about this too: many of the people posting fits on styleforum also have tumblr accounts. So when styleforum downloads these images and posts them on tumblr, they are uploading these images to a medium where they likely already exist. On tumblr at least, that's considered a repost, and is a particularly looked down upon practice on a site where the preference is to reblog from the original content source whenever possible. So the styleforum approach of reposting misses this particular function and has always felt like a square peg in a round hole approach to using tumblr to me. And that's viewing it in the most favorable light I can think of.

18. LA Guy

At least on the CM side, it's sort of an honor to be featured on the Styleforum tumblr. I know that I've gotten emails thanking me for the mention, and irate emails asking why they weren't featured. And the featured people follow their own pics and see how many likes they have gotten. Styleforum has about 8K followers in tumblr, and growing, and is regularly featured on #menswear. I've never worried too much about repurposing a technology. I think that that's the way new things are discovered, when people use something that was not its original, intended, purpose.

I do like the "week in the life of" idea though, for the instagram. It would be cool to see what different users are doing. I'll need to talk to Jasper about this, of course, but I really do like you guys discussing this.

19. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

I GOT 50 THUMBS OK? YOU'RE TELLING ME THAT'S NOT ENOUGH? How many reblogs is a thumb worth? Can we set up an exchange?

IMO with the return of thumb comments, they should be trading at an all time high.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  20. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Well-Known Member

Well after watching CM this past week get confused up to offended by the return of thumb comments, and one user disavowing the thumb system entirely -- comments or no -- it's no surprise to me that they would have the opposite reaction. But dressing it up in fancy language doesn't change what you're doing. You're not engaging in some creative use of a medium that hasn't been thought of before. You're downloading images and reposting them without attribution to a medium where they may already exist with proper attribution and where the vast majority of the userbase specifically recognizes this capability but disfavors it.

Like, I can have sex with a donut if I want to but I'm not going to call myself innovative for doing so.

Let me be clear that I don't have a problem with what you're doing and I take no personal offense (and in fact I think you posted one of my images one time, and that's fine). But what you're doing is reposting, and it's as simple as that. And that has always struck me as a bit of a hamfisted approach, and I wonder if there isn't some better use, or some better way to generate interest in the forums with these posts on other websites.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.