1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jet

jet Well-Known Member

2. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

True… but after checking the website it just made me think how many people I could prank myself with $10 worth of glitter. I think it's a lot. :happy:

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

It was through DHL "economy", which is just the postal system. They hand it off to USPS. In any case, as you may have gathered, my posts were (mostly) in jest, but it is odd. The package took 6 days to get to the main Frankfurt hub (Germany is not that big of a country. An invading army could have reached Berlin by foot in that time), and then the package has been sitting there (with a USPS stamp now), ever since.

Re. Glitter. I know what my next secret Santa is getting.

4. nicelynice

nicelynice Well-Known Member

do we still have any denim heads on the forum? guys who wear raws every day?? Or are they mostly on other forums?

5. TheObserver

TheObserver Well-Known Member

Maybe Fok?

I would be one too if I could wear denim to work.

6. notwithit

notwithit Well-Known Member

'sup.

:smarmy:

1 person likes this.
  7. VitaTimH

VitaTimH Well-Known Member

Not even close to every day, but my limited edition Samurai Black Knights with silver selvedge and arctuates are developing some mighty fine honeycombing behind the knees... but really I've had them for over half a decade now, still think they're the best denim I've owned in terms of construction and detail (but not fit, notably). No idea on washes or anything though.

1 person likes this.
  8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Me? Guys on the workboot and denim brand threads?

9. notwithit

Ugh, I'm currently experiencing the tension of wanting to get advice on what eyeglasses frames to get but not wanting to show my un-blanked face on a public Internet forum. :confused:

10. nahneun

nahneun Well-Known Member

if you can pick out a few frames that interest you, those of us who have seen you irl can chime in :foo:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  11. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

use your celebrity doppelganger

4 people like this.
  12. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Well-Known Member

OP NDG-1. My go to rec (and my two pairs of prescription glasses for the past 3 years or so)

13. notwithit

Whelp, I've had people ask me if I was Jonathan Rhys Meyers (pre-Tudors-era steroid use, which seemed to change the shape of his face). My lips are thinner and I'm much, much less handsome, though. This might be the closest picture:

[​IMG]

I also had a flight attendant ask if I was an actor from Nashville, although I have no idea which one and I'm pretty sure I look nothing like any of them.

My current frames are these (I think; mine are Chesterfield, not Cole Haan), which I think fit my face ok but are kind of limiting in terms of range of vision because they're so short top-to-bottom:

[​IMG]

I was thinking of going for something similar from Warby Parker, maybe these

[​IMG]

or these

[​IMG]

I'm pretty open to suggestions, though.

14. notwithit

So if I want the Warby Parker knock-off, these:

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  15. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial

Perfect for when you're at your desk at the Daily Planet.

10 people like this.
  16. VitaTimH

^ On the topic of eyeglasses, does anyone here have advice on lenses for people with very high prescriptions (worse than -10)? I bought a pair of frames I really liked last year (Shuron) but the distortion around the edges due to the larger lens size makes them unwearable for driving and disorienting for daily activities... really a bummer. Is my only option glasses with smaller lenses like the pairs notwithit posted?

17. notwithit

I didn't even realize that that was a thing.

That's most of what I do anyway. Except I only wear them when I'm driving, going to a movie, or going to a meeting where I want to be able to actually see the PowerPoint presentation instead of ignoring it and working on something else.

18. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Well-Known Member

distortion around the edges happens slightly at lower levels of correction too, but you tend to get used to it. now, also an issue w/ big frames is the potential for the ocular center height measurement to need adjustment. i went back and forth a few times w/ Warby on this. it's usually not measured because it's usually not important, but i found a friendly glasses place who ran their automatic measurement machine on me for free.

with that said, fuck yeah, big glasses.

19. baltimoron

baltimoron Well-Known Member

I'm -8/-11 and haven't noticed a problem with mine. What shape are yours? Do they have AR coating on them?

20. VitaTimH

@baltimoron I tried both the Ronsir and the Revolutions. I don't think they have AR coating because daytime glare is an absolute bitch, but still manages to be less of a problem than the distortion. (Would AR coating help here at all though?) I started with -11 / -11 but the distortion was too great, so based on my optometrist's recommendation dropped to -10.25/-10.25... and now things are both distorted and blurry.

@ghdvfddzgzdzg I had never actually considered focal height, but it makes a lot of sense why that would be important. That might be the bigger issue actually. I've had relatively small glasses all my life (from the tender age of four, rofl) so it's never come up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.