1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nahneun

nahneun Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  2. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

depends on which robuchon you're talking about. a lot of robuchon and thomas keller recipes are exacting, but they're not difficult. the ad hoc book i cook out of every other day. and the robuchon book everybody gets is basically jacques pepin type basic french cooking

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

So, I use the Thomas Keller books, and they are really exacting. Ad hoc is not nearly as bad, but even there, it's like "get X ingredient, no substitutions are allowed", which is sort of annoying. I prefer Italian cooking, or rather, the Italian attitude to cooking. It's more free form, more SWD and less CM?

Incidentally, I have a friend, now a pretty decent restauranteur, who staged with Thomas Keller, and apparently, he is like a really strict, sorta scary father who never yells, but you know when he is not pleased.

4. rms340

rms340 Well-Known Member

5. KongGeorgeVII

KongGeorgeVII Well-Known Member

Are their any fashion magazines worth reading? I'm pretty much into menswear only but don't mind if it's a mix so long as it's mostly high fashion, avant-garde and weird stuff. I would love something that looks at the interesting stuff lesser known designers are doing. Extra points if there is an occasional shoe maker in the mix.

Does anything like that exist?

6. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

When guys say certain wool makes them itch does that also entail breaking out in rashes?

Just tried on a new wool flannel jacket and my body started itching. Had red spots all over my body. It subsided quickly but I'm still tingling.

Is this an allergy or the garment needs to be cleaned?

Brand new fyi...

I experienced this fairly recently with wool lately. Before I had no problems.

7. Oldsrocket27

Oldsrocket27 Well-Known Member

Let's be real: Reddit is just a pedophile haven that skates by by being a source for cat videos for the average idiot.

8. Mulan

Mulan Well-Known Member

Page 26 of the book. It's actually from Vogue's September issue 07.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  9. sipang

sipang Well-Known Member

Encens magazine is worth a look, expensive though

10. KongGeorgeVII

KongGeorgeVII Well-Known Member

That does look pretty great. Any idea roughly what percentage of it is focused on menswear? Their website seems to have a focus mainly on the female side but the facebook page definitely has some mens stuff on it.

11. TheObserver

TheObserver Well-Known Member

Trumaker ad is horrible. Who wear beat up jeans with a dress shirt, seem like cotton poplin?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  12. Ken P

Ken P Well-Known Member

Not sure if either is exactly what you're looking for but I really like The New Order and Inventory.

13. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Well-Known Member

I had a whole post typed up that i actually deleted.

Basically, reddit's got clusters of subreddits some of which are great and some of which suck. You can easily avoid the racist neckbeard MRA gamers if you stick to the better subs but some parts are totally lacking (it's a bad place to find music, e.g.). I don't know if you can find "good" subs that overlap with reddit's core terribleness--news/politics, gaming, etc. because those aren't my intersts.

r/malefashionadvice (which I moderate) is the advice forum so the general level of discourse is going to be lower than a place like here, but it's actually pretty good at doing its job of helping people dress better and a lot of people there end up taking an interest in clothing and sticking around so you actually get both beginners and people who know their shit interacting a lot. It likes americana and workwear a lot but actually began diversifying more in the past year or so.

r/goodyearwelt is the big boot-enthusiast forum. I don't really go there but I hear it's good. r/malefashion is /fa/ meets SZ meets SF meets reddit, browse it if you want to see fancy gothninja clothes on internet nerds. It's pretty decent but kind of one-note. r/frugalmalefashion also exists but I never go there. There's also r/streetwear, r/supremeclothing and r/sneakers which are all pretty much what you'd expect.

The food reddits are actually pretty good/my favorite part of reddit. I like r/baking, r/eatssandwiches, r/cooking, r/askculinary, r/ramen, r/coffee and r/slowcooking. Kenji hangs around r/seriouseats and answers questions, which is pretty cool. r/food is the most "general interest" sub of the food subs (i.e. you get crap that get supvoted for no good reason or because the title rather than the content) but you might find some interesting stuff on it. Most of the time people will be willing to answer questions and provide help in a way I haven't seen elsewhere on the internet. I haven't been on it long but r/sousvide actually seems pretty great too.

The fitness reddits are pretty good too. r/fitness is more beginner-friendly (with the attendant biases), r/weightroom is really good for powerlifters, r/bodybuilding is more broey, r/running is pretty good too though I unsubbed when I tore my acl.

The sports clusters are also great, because most sports fora are fucking awful so it's not hard to be better than espn comments sections. r/nfl, r/nba, r/fantasyfootball, subreddits for various teams.

3 people like this.
  14. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

Is it just me, or is there a really big disconnect between the usual threads started at MFA and their WAYWT threads? Seems like the threads are all about Uniqlo/ J Crew/ Target/ Suit Supply/ Clarks, but the "Best of WAYWT threads" aren't like that at all.

15. notwithit

notwithit Well-Known Member

Is the Echo boot seriously happening? I don't know that I'd actually get a pair, but it would make me happy to know that they exist.

Wasn't someone else going to design a boot as well? @LA Guy or @unbelragazzo, maybe?

16. GraphicNovelty

Well yeah the WAYWT thread is "competitive", compared to the more feedback focused "outfit feedback and fit check" or "simple questions" threads, and there's no rule against staring your own thread to ask a question--it's actually encouraged. Most of the threads about articles/lookbooks/random fashion thoughts/discussion topics attract more higher level discussion depending on the topic but it is, at its core, an advice forum.

17. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

Maybe I should check out the rft threads. It just seems like a lot of people hate on the lookbook threads (usual criticism of "who would wear that," "that looks like something I could make," and "is this a joke"), but when you go see what gets upvoted in WAYWT, a lot of the fits are interesting. Almost feels like two separate communities in there.

18. GraphicNovelty

Well yeah, a lot of the time the "who would wear this" etc. comments do get voted to the top because the majority of the users are unaware of how this stuff work, but there's also an active portion of the commentariat that is willing to explain lookbooks/runway shows/unconventional styles, and have actually done so in ways that allow those people to understand. It's not a perfect system but no forum really is.

If you're not willing to expose yourself to the masses of people who have little to know knowledge of clothing then it's not really the forum for you. The people who stick around do so because they like helping people, not because the discussions are super great or high level, and because it's also a pretty nice community. I think the forum as a whole is a great resource though, so I like contributing to it and helping run it.

19. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial

It will happen if enough people vote for it, which involves a small deposit. You should do both of those things, and then wear in good health - with Rick worker jackets and W+H for perfection.

2 people like this.
  20. nahneun

nahneun Well-Known Member

above fit sounds really good in theory. do it @notwithit. TURN THEORY INTO REALITY

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.