• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't understand all the threads that are "Does this combination of XYZ sound good?" with a vague description of the clothes and no pictures. What further annoys me is that people actually respond to these threads with answers and few ask for pictures.

Shouldn't clothing be about how the clothes actually look on a person instead of how it sounds on paper?

For a forum that heavily emphasizes the importance of fit so much, the vital information of having a picture attached is rarely encouraged. That just strikes me as odd, if anything, the picture should come first and be the primary source of evaluation, not a vague description.

For instance, I think that this:

1229blksocks.jpg

is a great outfit on so many levels.

However, on paper it sounds ******* terrible. Light, ripped jeans, dark red jacket, patterned polo, etc. The sad thing is, if the wearer went onto SF and asked whether or not the outfit "worked" by just describing it, most people would probably shoot it down and if the wearer would take the advice to heart, then such an outfit wouldn't have been formed.
confused.gif

Kent Money

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
I don't understand all the threads that are "Does this combination of XYZ sound good?" with a vague description of the clothes and no pictures. What further annoys me is that people actually respond to these threads with answers and few ask for pictures.

thats exactly why you can't ask those 'yes/no' questions.

style is sorta ineffable, you just gotta see a lot of good fits before you start to understand what is cool/unique/good looking.

i hate those posts too, Lel

its up to the wearer to figure out what will look good on him/her. a good way to start is by looking at others. streetstyle blogs have been one of my biggest sources of obtaining a sense of style, not asking if so-and-so looks good together.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^That guy reminds me of jpgm, Lel. I also don't understand newbs who post a pic of a celebrity(Efron/Beckham/Ryan Reynolds etc. ) wearing like a ******* hanes tee shirt and ask where to get one. That gets the most
facepalm.gif
from me.

Bring The Noise

Reaction score
I think what you're basically trying to say is that if you're good looking, well proportioned, anything will look good on you.

Which is true.

stylo 9000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
Terrrible, terrible, terrible list. The only one that possibly deserves it would be Slick Rick and even he takes a clear backseat to many of his contemporaries. Mos Def could have been up there if he decided to make hip hop post-BOBS instead of his ill advised rock/soul/whatever the **** that was route he went on for awhile. And no, his new album isn't that great.

teacha.gif

Originally Posted by Big Punisher
OK we're done. A fashion thought: I actually like most of the stuff I get thrift/second hand better than boring mall brand basics (j crew/h&M etc.) Thrifting is underrated.

absolutely. on my budget it's the only way to get decent clothes. of course we don't have any decent thrift stores in central jersey
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Robert
Sometimes when I buy beer, I think about its equivalent in clothing prices, e.g., for the $90 I've paid for beer over the last two months, I could have had another pair of desert boots.

you have it completely backwards
plain.gif

Kent Money

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
i miss chris and labelking and all those other fucked up posters that broke up the hegemony

lol, homogeny?

i feel so high up sitting on this horse.

edit: hmmm, i suppose hegemony could work here. anyone?

N.N.O.P

Reaction score
a great look? hmm..... great hat, good jacket, nice shirt.... dodgy buggies, wrong trousers, wrong legs.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Care to clarify?

Wrong trousers? Wrong legs?

I didn't realize that there was only one correct form of trousers and only one correct form of legs. I think I missed that in the style spread sheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads