1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. momentoftruth

momentoftruth Well-Known Member

except no matter how good pictures are, seeing things in person is still irreplaceable. not to mention feeling the material, etc

3 people like this.
  2. Abraxis

Abraxis Well-Known Member

Yeah but "showrooming" is on the rise where people go to B&Ms just to experience something in person and buy online. How do you manage that? B&Ms are providing the value, but it's not being monetized effectively.

3. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Well-Known Member

Do we know that showrooming works the same way for cluths as it does for electronics? I'd imagine the most desirable clientele of any boutique would be so loaded as to have no hesitation buying stuff in-store if the service is good enough.

4. accordion

accordion Well-Known Member

Not having access to B&M stores is like dressing in hard mode, you have to decide everything with a fit visualizer in your head and it discourages risk taking.

4 people like this.
  5. nahneun

nahneun Well-Known Member

such is the difficulty of kopping from japan. :(

also that female inaisce model is really cute

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
    2 people like this.
  6. accordion

when i visited stores and actually tried on for the first time stuff I only saw on webpages, the only thing I could think of was how do people ever fuck this up. It was like taking the training wheels off, like you gotta be blind to walk out of good store wearing ugly shit.

That's not the same as the original one right? Those half-asians..

7. nicelynice

nicelynice Well-Known Member

living in Tokyo has completely spoiled me for trying stuff on.. I tried to find a belt yesterday, went to J. Crew, and just gave up

3 people like this.
  8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

It's more expensive, but not that hard.

LA has lots of good stores.

9. Abraxis

Haha never ever open a boutique with that mentality ;p That's never going to be more than like 1-5% of your customer base and that's probably being generous.

I mean here's a simple example: What percent of clientele might find the ability to go to a store like Atelier to get a sense of how a brand fits and then turn around and buy the same thing online from a Euro/Japanese retailer to work around the mark up as well as take advantage of currency exchange rates and take advantage of avoidance of duties/sales tax?

I mean we are talking about a difference of nearly 2x in retail price in some instances after subtracting VAT.... plus not paying ~10% in californian sales tax and free shipping. Not talking about at sale time, but full retail price.

You don't think that temptation is enough for most people? I've done it before for a few pieces which I'm not proud of, but thankfully I've mostly mastered the art of buying off measurements so less need nowadays. And savings can come from buying secondhand from people who originally bought at clearance prices ;p

10. Bam!ChairDance

Just curious, do you have experience operating a boutique?

11. Abraxis

Nah, but I have friends who have tried it in various online forms and a few who do brick/mortar.

12. 0JSIMPS0N

0JSIMPS0N Well-Known Member

I don't own any boutiques so take this with a grain of salt, but im pretty sure the number is much much higher than 1-5%. And a good portion of people (myself included) couldn't give two shits about good service.

For alot of customers online shopping for clothing doesn't even exist as an option

13. Bam!ChairDance

Most definitely. I've only worked as a sales associate in two stores, but I can say with certainty that a boutique's survival all but depends on its ability to maintain a steady, loyal clientele, and that loyalty comes from building long-term relationships with customers who are more sensitive to service than to price.

Abraxis sort of has it backwards-- the customers who spend time planning purchases, comparison shopping, etc, won't give stores the sort of loyalty that keeps them alive. We'll turn our back on a store if it means finding a better deal elsewhere. Now, a store can try to lure our business by making the individual transaction incredibly easy-- by providing measurements, details, etc, as well as a competitive price. But that's not nearly as effective as maintaining long term relationships with clientele who have the means to pay a higher price as long as they receive a consistent and predictable level of service. That's why Atelier had a blog featuring individual customers, their life stories, etc. That sort of intimate relationship is critical, and it's not the sort of relationship you'll get from the customer who practices showrooming.

That said, it wouldn't be accurate for me to say showrooming has had no effect. For one, boutiques probably have to fight harder to find customers who are interested having that sort of 'relationship' I described above. And I'm sure everyone has seen the rise of stores like Sneakerboy or Warby Parker that host physical spaces without any inventory, basically forcing their customers to shop online. But based off my limited experience, I'd say high end boutiques have been more sheltered against showrooming's effects because they thrive off the type of person who doesn't practice it in the first place.

7 people like this.
  14. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

I get my haircut on top of the John Varvatos store near Union square. It's almost always empty when I'm there on Saturday around noon - however every once in a while there's someone in there buying like 8 suits or giant armfuls of random shit. These tend to be square young people or middle aged to elderly couples. I've seen people getting their wedding stuff there and stuff for all their groomsmen. Is this the target demographic? I don't even know. Apparently there's a couple sales people there that do 7 figures of business. Blows my mind.

I mean they're pleasant enough and every once in a while I'll see some probably longtime big spenders with champagne flutes or so, but I don't think they're anything out of the ordinary. Then again, SF is not known for service in general. Out of all the boutiques/stores around there, probably DH does it best overall. The Diptyque store is pretty pleasant and the people are nice, but that's not really the same thing.

15. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

16. accordion

the most interesting sales experience I had was at a vintage yohji/dries store in shanghai when I asked the people there for an opinion on something, specifically on how a coat fit from the back since they didn't have two way mirrors, and they absolutely refused to give anything resembling an opinion whatsoever, and would defer so politely and expertly that they made it awkward for me to ask further. They even offered to take a picture so I can judge for myself. I took it as part of the "artisan" ethos where they're trying not to enable my consumerism and I get and respect that but honestly I just wanted to know if the coat made my ass look big.

5 people like this.
  17. nicelynice

nicelynice Well-Known Member

are you for real

21 people like this.
  18. LA Guy

Dior Homme - because people are too lazy to type. Also, it's French.

1 person likes this.
  19. LA Guy

I am a sport shopper, but I've never, in my life, showroomed, and I do have loyalty, prices be damned, to certain stores, whether it's because I feel that the taste levels are so high that they need to stay around (MAC, Alan Bilzerian) or just because I really like the guys and the goods.

1 person likes this.
  20. malcb33

malcb33 Well-Known Member

I'm heading to LA in a couple of weeks. Going to be staying in the Hollywood area, any recommendations for stores to visit?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.