1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Landscape

Landscape Well-Known Member

Somewhat on the subject of NYC can anyone recommend some stores to visit? I'm going to NYC this spring and while I've searched a bit myself I have a bit trouble narrowing it down as I won't have time for everything. I'll probably be shopping a lot of basics at Uniqlo but aside from that I've been looking at Gentry, Odin, Steven Alan, Kith, Memes and Opening Ceremony - perhaps Outlier if I can time it with their open studio. Any recommendations where I find the best deals/most interesting things? Generally looking for stuff not as avaible in Europe (or at least a bit cheaper), but specifically it'd probably be black boots, pair of sneakers and a nice 3-season jacket that I'm looking at.

Also, third time visiting so suggestions for anything fun/interesting to see are welcome, as I think I've done most of the generic touristy stuff. [​IMG]

2. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

Music/food/drinking/culture wise:

http://brooklynflea.com
    http://bkbazaar.com
    http://www.tenement.org

Sneakers(if only to check out the store):
    http://www.flightclub.com/storelocator/

Clothing(same as above):
    Paul Stuart

3. Mulan

Mulan Well-Known Member

Sounds like most people and places in general

On another note, the other day on FB, I found an old friend I used to play mmorpgs with, from Australia. Apparently he knows about Styleforum.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  4. t3hg0suazn

t3hg0suazn Well-Known Member

someone just asked about nyc about a month ago, search for those recs

also, has anyone been to the re-opened Atelier? do they still stock CCP?

5. accordion

accordion Well-Known Member

Really don't think OC is worth visiting. But there are a lot of stores in that area from BiG to IF. Also is Atelier not gonna have a webshop again?

6. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Well-Known Member

How do brands have such inconsistent sizing? Even within the same season and same style? I could understand it if you have different pieces made by different manufacturers but when you are your OWN manufacturer how does it happen?

7. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Well-Known Member

this was the last brand list on their site before they took it down. no CCP or BBS anymore. haven't been over there yet and probably won't unless I find myself in that neighborhood for some reason.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

It's hard to say unless you can tell me what brands you are talking about, but some brands vary in sizing because they are doing extensive post-construction treatments, and it is difficult to gauge the amount of shrinkage, and especially to gauge the amount of shrinkage between sizes. Usually, for the sample size, a garment dyed piece will come come more or less to spec. But for much smaller or larger sizes, you can be off a fair bit. For example, washed leathers are a huge PITA to attempt to size. In MA+, for example, I come out to a 52 in some of the bikers, but for the one single one that I really want, it looks like there were more extensive treatments, and I come out to a 54, which is crazy for a 5'11", 180 lb dude. Wool also shrinks, cottons shrink, and everything shrinks differently in different directions. And there is only so much time and monye for research. It's not financially feasible for a smaller company to test shrinkage on a full size run.

I one tried on a size M leather jacket from KZO that fit like a 34 or 36, tops. At that time, I was maybe 160 lbs, and I felt like I was going to hulk it. That was because it was a sample, and the shrinkage was a full 1.5-1 sizes.

9. accordion

wat is that list

10. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

It coukld be that they are not allowed to say, especially since they are also carrying a lot of "mainstream" brands. Personally, I am glad that they are stocking a more eclectic set of brands. I'm personally looking forward to seeing what they do with Golden Goose, which is really "Italain interpretation of Americana". Sorta like number (n)ine if number (n)ine was an Italian brand, and the inspiration was random Hollywood and Brooklyn style hipsters.

11. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Well-Known Member

you mean the one I posted? It's the brand list for Atelier in NYC.

yeah, this could be true. they didn't always have that "and more brands I CAN'T SAY HERE" thing on the page so I think everyone just started assuming the list was complete, and CCP (very noticeably) wasn't there.

people who really want to know should just call. the number is on their site.

12. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

So wait, no one stocks CCP in the USA anymore? or at least no one has an online presence with ccp.

atelier new york has re-opened...

13. sinnedk

Yea thats possible but ime CCP hasn't requested for a retailer to not tell anyone that they carry their stuff. I know ma+ has asked hide-m to show very limited info of their product.

14. accordion

I understand, I was just bemused by the selection of labels.

1 person likes this.
  15. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Well-Known Member

@LA Guy

Wings + Horns.
    Bought another pair of the tokyo chinos which are basically a tapered chino with a full thigh that work really well for me. This is my 3rd pair from this season. One of each colour. They are all garment dyed 100% cotton. The pair I just received have a much slimmer leg and longer inseam. I'm actually wondering now if they are just some mislabelled westpoints.

16. Landscape

Landscape Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestions, especially those about culture and such are great [​IMG]

Yeah, I did see those recommendations, but I'm trying to narrow down the amount of shops in my first post just a little bit, it was more if someone could recommend (or not) some of them as I've just chosen them from how much I like the brands they've listed and their price-range. Also it was also for non-clothing related suggestions :)

Noted, thanks.

17. sinnedk

don't worry folks, no ccp in usa means more a1923 copies of ccp

18. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

His apt is there...

19. Mulan

Mulan Well-Known Member

@sinnedk They HAD a photo of a bunch of CCP rice bags with leather and stacks of hundred dollar bills inside of them. So I would safely assume, yes they will be carrying CCP. It wouldn't really be Atelier without CCP anyways.

20. sinnedk

i agree, can i see said photo :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.