1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jet

jet Well-Known Member

I've done several other things to improve my sleep but just discovered that basically electronics like TVs, computers, phones and tablets emit blue light which signals your body to halt melatonin production. Orange light doesn't have this that's why you get tired watching a glowing fire and such but as soon as you hop on the computer your body isn't producing as much melatonin as it normally would in the "wild" because it thinks it's still daytime. I bought some orange bulbs to be more sleep inducing late at night and I also downloaded f lux which automatically dims your monitor orange out of the blue light spectrum based on sunset in your time zone, pretty dope.

6 people like this.
  2. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Well-Known Member

Has it helped? Serious question.
    I've read studies about replicating ideal sleep situations of past ancestors (amber lights, no electronics, reading and meditation to "wind down" before going to sleep etc) but then I've also read some more recent ones on how we have "Evolved" beyond that, and that we are now perfectly fine to have as much blue light as we please and watch tv while in bed and still fall in to a deep sleep as this is now "normal". Part of it sounds like shit since I can't imagine evolution occurring in such a small time period (tv's etc) but I also don't think my body is wired in any way like cavemen, I also don't think cavemen would've slept very well (rocks, and constant fear of being murdered/eaten/starving).

3. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Well-Known Member

Yeah it is not really a big deal, just weird. They have already offered a full refund but I would rather have the item so I asked them to send me the same item which I know is still in stock

Funny you bring this up I was recently gifted one of those himalayan salt rock lamp things. I find it very soothing to sleep with it on. It also counteracts negative ions and some other bro science I paid no attention to

[​IMG]

4. Mulan

Mulan Well-Known Member

White noise can help as well.

5. jet

jet Well-Known Member

I just got them.

I just like looking at things that are orange, except clothes.

6. dipp

dipp Member

Hey guys - I made a thread but thought I'd ask this in here as well considering it seems to be a very active, "chat" type of thread where you can post just about anything. Here's my post: http://www.styleforum.net/t/449540/...hing-patterns-pattern-making-developing-a-fit

--

I'm in the very early stages of developing my own brand. Don't worry, it's not some cookie-cutter garbage with paisley prints, old english fonts, side zippers, leather accents, etc. lol.

There's a variety of cut & sew manufacturers in my city whom I've met with and I'll be picking one soon. They all offer a bunch of services like pattern making, grading, and the entire deal.

The thing is - I know absolutely nothing about the FIT of clothes and what the measurements should be for a nice t-shirt, or a hoodie, or a nice pair of slim jeans, skinny jeans, etc.. Of course I have my own, favorite pieces of clothing and I like the way certain things fit. However, when it comes to describing this to one of the pattern makers or designers, I'd have no clue what to really say.

So here's my main question...I'm wondering if it's "lame" to bring in some of my favorite pieces of [designer] clothing and have the pattern maker use that as a starting point/base for my own pieces? For example: my Acne tee & jeans. I love the fit on my 19cm Diors so perhaps those well. (I heard APC jeans are based off one of Dior's fits, is that true?)

Of course, I plan to eventually learn the ways of developing my own fit and how all that stuff works. (I've already looked into it and it's very complicated + takes lots and lots of time) However, understandably I just don't want to release some really amateur-ish, Wal-Mart esque fitting shirts or jeans.

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  7. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

That's how it often works with a lot of brands.

8. dipp

dipp Member

As in, they base the fit off another (more popular) brand's?

9. DLester

DLester Well-Known Member

is it helping?

1 person likes this.
  10. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

Delete "more popular," but yes -- they give some garment they like to a professional pattern maker and start from there. Sometimes it's an exact copy; sometimes they tweak things here and there by just saying "widen the sleeve by xyz amount." You can go through a few samples until you're happy, then the pattern maker will expand it to your other size grades (going from S to M, L, and XL, for example)

1 person likes this.
  11. dipp

dipp Member

Makes sense. Thanks for the info. Appreciate it.

12. jet

jet Well-Known Member

seriously

13. metranger8694

metranger8694 Well-Known Member

I can attest to the effectiveness of orange glasses. I bought an inexpensive pair from amazon and when I'm gearing down about 30-60 minutes prior to sleep I'll put them on and almost invariably start yawning. That part might be psychosomatic but as jet implied, the orange does calm the brain.

I am a dentist and wear orange glasses when I am using an L.E.D. bonding light. The glasses block out in the 540 nanometer blue light wavelength range(which will ruin your eyes), interestingly.

http://www.amazon.com/Uvex-S1933X-E...421295056&sr=8-1&keywords=orange+uvex+glasses

14. DLester

DLester Well-Known Member

Okay well good luck with it. I was curious because my dad is a doctor and among many other things he had a sleep disorder clinic. Also my sleep was shit for years until the problem was solved a while back. Bad sleep is the worst.

15. nahneun

nahneun Well-Known Member

the 19cms are actually based off APC's standard

on a related note, i pulled out my size 28 19cms and holy shit how the fuck did i used to wear these?

much more appreciation for my devoa pants.....

1 person likes this.
  16. jet

jet Well-Known Member

I actually ordered those too haha.

Check yo pm dawg.

17. t3hg0suazn

t3hg0suazn Well-Known Member

what was the fix?

18. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

Interesting I am intrigued… may have to try this.

Yes… I'd like to hear as well.

19. spacepope

spacepope Well-Known Member

if you're not using flux i don't even want to talk to you

where is the ♕♕♕OFFICIAL SW&D BALLER SLEEP THREAD♕♕♕

3 people like this.
  20. spacepope

spacepope Well-Known Member

oh wait

4 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.