1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. accordion

accordion Well-Known Member

So confused why there are multiple boutiques within a 2-3 mile radius of the Acne store in NYC that carry Acne but have very limited selections of denim, while the Acne store has a complete stock of pretty much everything. Come to think of it, why does everyone carry Acne? Also walking around for long periods of time in CPs has to be one of the most excruciating fashun experiences.

2. ghostface

ghostface Well-Known Member

uniqlo used to be my go-to for button up shirts, but they seem to have changed their patterning/sizing in the past couple of years. the collar sizes are huge now, so i can't wear them any more (granted i have a skinny neck for my build, but the fit didn't use to be this bad). the fabrics also feel a lot rougher.

their linen shirts are still great, though.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  3. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

I don't understand this. If you had USD in Russia and were buying smuggled goods, you can maybe get some really good deals. But Russian rubles won't get you anything good abroad, and within Russia, everything is like 3x the price of what it costs outside of the country. Which is why anyone who has money in Russia does their shopping abroad (except for oligarchs, who don't care about paying $1,000 for a iPad or something).

I lived in Russia for about a year and a half. A fifth of Jack Daniels was like $75. Domestically produced vodka was like $5.

4. zissou

zissou Well-Known Member

I've been moving away from Gitman shirts for a bit now. BBBF are nice, and Carson Street Clothiers shirts are pretty much the perfect fit for me. Aside from Gustin, Gitman seem to be the only standard OCBDs made from interesting fabrics other than your typical oxford cloths. I don't even count Japanese-made shirts because the shoulders are always way too narrow for me. I won't wear Uniqlo (too boring), but the rest of my family wears it. My wife and daughter love the IDLF stuff.

5. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

At the moment I wear mall brand shirts unbuttoned over singlets. And loose, pleated pants.

I really like the look of the Other Shop's shirts.

6. ghostface

ghostface Well-Known Member

this is why i go to our legacy for shirting these days. you should give them a shot, if you haven't already.

1 person likes this.
  7. Mulan

Mulan Well-Known Member

I would think it's to make an easy sale in order to be a sustainable business. All the "avant garde" or hopefully good buys from designers takes forever to sell. Look at how Atelier New York and LN-CC turned out.

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Quote:I would think it's to make an easy sale in order to be a sustainable business. All the "avant garde" or hopefully good buys from designers takes forever to sell. Look at how Atelier New York and LN-CC turned out.

This. At the end of the day, the stores are businesses. The proprietors obviously talk a good game, but if a store cannot turn a profit, or at least break even, it's not going to stay in business. These are not cost centers the way some luxury brand stores might be, and even there, if you look at the financials for the big luxury brands, many are turning a profit in same brand stores, pretty much across all sectors. And the Venn diagram intersection of people who want "artisanal" designer pieces and those who can afford it is astoundingly small. That's why there is such a large secondary market for it.

9. habitant

habitant Well-Known Member

http://shop.havenshop.ca/collections/cypress

Haven just released their own clothing line. Pretty cool, I especially like the zip shirts and cowichan sweaters. I do think it's priced a bit high, especially considering Illustrative Example is Livestocks line of basically identical items at 60% of the cost.

10. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Well-Known Member

Yeah, but considering the brands that Haven are selling along side it fits right in line with everything else, if not a little bit below.

I might pick up some of the pants and the charcoal wool band collar.

11. OccultaVexillum

Yeah, but considering the brands that Haven are selling along side it fits right in line with everything else, if not a little bit below.

12. OccultaVexillum

13. accordion

This. At the end of the day, the stores are businesses. The proprietors obviously talk a good game, but if a store cannot turn a profit, or at least break even, it's not going to stay in business. These are not cost centers the way some luxury brand stores might be, and even there, if you look at the financials for the big luxury brands, many are turning a profit in same brand stores, pretty much across all sectors.

And the Venn diagram intersection of people who want "artisanal" designer pieces and those who can afford it is astoundingly small. That's why there is such a large secondary market for it.

So then I'm guessing Acne and Common Projects are two of the safest picks for retailers these days? Nothing wrong with carrying brands that make money, though sometimes it can detract from otherwise well curated collections. For example Acne and/or CP at Mohawk or more obviously H.Lorenzo seem out of place. But on turning a profit, why the heck is there a Real McCoys store right next door to BiG? Also IFSoho has a ridiculous collection, puts Opening Ceremony to shame

14. OccultaVexillum

Re: real mccoys iirc it's a relatively new store and they have stopped selling to stores in the area (from memory they no longer sell to Gentry for that reason).

15. fistinyoface

fistinyoface Well-Known Member

No doubt there is also an awareness with the designers that most things really start to move when the sales hit anyway. Retail is like a pre-sale for those who don't want to miss out (and those who can afford it), while the sales are the real deal.

16. nahneun

nahneun Well-Known Member

On a slightly related note, I think my carpe destroyed horse backzips are drying out. How would I take care of such a leather? Do I treat it like suede or something else?

17. LA Guy

Yes, both are safe bets. Also, they are not out of place. They allow someone to fill out their wardrobe with basics that highlight their marquee pieces. Also, they allow entry into the dream. Remember that the store is a brand.

Blue in Green is the official agent of Real McCoy's in the USA - so that mystery is now solved.

18. LA Guy

Maybe they come to accept that, but assuming that nothing is going to move until sales is a big ass red flag in the business plan, unless margins have been set that high. Also, some collections just don't go on general sale - CCP and MA+, for example. So, celebrities are very possibly keeping your favorite stores afloat. Thank Kanye and Kim Kardashian.

19. accordion

Yea but why not just keep the Real McCoys in the BiG store, I'd guess momo, PBJ, Samurai,and maybe a few others are more popular, or is it just cuz Real McCoys make a lot of stuff besides denim? CPs are "versatile" yes, but acne clashes harshly with workwear.

20. LA Guy

Acne is mostly a blank slate. Um, Mohawk sells Dries and stuff. And H. Lorenzo is a mixed bag. In any case, workwear has mixed with the minimalist Scandanavian stuff from the day it hit our shores. The two mixed together (Acne and Engineered Garments) back in Odin, in 2005.

To highligh Real McCoys. Yes, it's a full line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.