1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hirsh

Hirsh Well-Known Member

THANK YOU ONE AND ALL,

I will end my days tapping on SF wired up to machines in intensive care, which I survived last time, despite stopping breathing

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

Sir F was a good troll, until he sugessted going to the beach in Paris.

3. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Well-Known Member

Definitely true. Little things like the minimum order quantity set by the place that makes a brand's labels can cause this, especially with small brands that use expensive labels. The label maker the brand uses might have a MOQ that the brand feels just isn't worth the expense. They might need 100 labels but would have to order 300, for example. So if they have a new garment that's 70 cotton / 30 linen, but they already have a bunch of labels lying around from a previous order that say 50 cotton / 50 linen, they might just go with the old labels. Or if it's 90 cotton / 10 linen but they only have 100% cotton labels around, they go with those instead.

It's kinda crazy how much MOQs can affect small labels.

3 people like this.
  4. nicelynice

nicelynice Well-Known Member

And then you get brands like Julius that just list whatever they want like "inflamed ram"

5 people like this.
  5. wogbog

wogbog Well-Known Member

I have a pair of Christian L'enfant roi trousers that were called raw silk. Here's a closeup of the fabric from suspension point's tumblr:
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. t3hg0suazn

t3hg0suazn Well-Known Member

The Rick N3B just has the right balance between cleanness and over the top details that makes it alluring. Attachment is a bit too clean for me as well - similar to the Rick exploder from Crust. Lad Musician's version that artishard has seems like the best option for $$, but that's up to y!jp to decide. I still hope I can get lucky and somehow find the Rick exploder in neoprene lamb [​IMG]

7. notwithit

notwithit Well-Known Member

I miss otter. He was great.

Every time I see the ToJ thread up toward the top of the recently updated list, I have to remind myself not to click. I probably signed my own death warrant by sending back a couple of jackets that had issues (wrong sleeve opening on one, wrong lining on the other). I miss those jackets, but probably the best thing I can do right now is put them out of my mind and have faith that one day in the future, they'll show up on my doorstep (or more likely be hand-delivered, since I've had to sign for them in the past).

4 people like this.
  8. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Well-Known Member

I unsubscribed a long time ago even though I still have two open orders... I figure if the jackets get to me, they get to me; if they don't, so be it.

9. fireflygrave

fireflygrave Well-Known Member

That's an admirably zen way to deal with it, considering that's gotta be roughly $1600 tied up in those orders

2 people like this.
  10. EdwardB

EdwardB Well-Known Member

Re: care tags, I interned at a brand this summer that makes technical garments with various materials with various treatments, etc. and I handled a lot of the care tag creation/customs issues for their FW14 stuff.

Care tag mislabeling also might have to do with customs related stuff - it costs more to import certain fabrics/blends than others (as an incentive for certain companies to use domestic resources rather than ordering overseas) so, if it's not easily discernible that there's a certain percentage of cotton or cashmere or whatever, a lot of companies try to get around customs regulations to try and save money. Different fabrics also affect the classification of a garment ("woven shirt," "woven blended shirt"), which also affects import fees (this is why Chucks have that shitty felt on the bottom).

11. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Well-Known Member

i'm realizing i probably am better off just staying out of that thread, though i'm waiting on a jacket. i have trouble not defending the operation because, while there have been many problems, the specific content of the attacks are so flawed.

2 people like this.
  12. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Well-Known Member

Oh man, you're doing those harmonized tariff codes. At one point I actually had certain codes memorized. "Ok, Mens' or boys' shirts >> Of cotton >> Other...that's 6205.20.3000." Such a pain in the ass.

5 people like this.
  13. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Well-Known Member

Yeah, something like that. My girlfriend wanted a stock BCDR, and I have one on order with excellas and upgraded lining, so I think it's a total of $1610 or something. Not exactly sure what the cost breakdown was. It's a sunk cost in my mind though, especially since I ordered them at the beginning of October (2013); ideally I'd like to get my jacket (and I'm sure my girlfriend would like that too) but if they never show, it's not the end of the world.

1 person likes this.
  14. habitant

habitant Well-Known Member

Is anyone in Boston willing to pick up my paid for order from bodega and ship it to me? for a fee of course

15. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

Try PMing Voxsartoria.

2 people like this.
  16. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

Potentially, sure. Unless it's going to a country where it's illegal to ship said item etc.

17. zissou

zissou Well-Known Member

^They've been slow to ship, probably due to lots of sale orders. I just got shipping confirmation fr my order from a couple days ago.

18. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Well-Known Member

I remember a time when a lot of people were acting like my styleforum journey was not going to be complete until I got a TOJ of one sort or another. I wasn't convinced, and it sounds now like I dodged a bullet. Anyone care to give cliffs notes on what is going on?

19. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

People have been waiting over 60 weeks for jackets. Staff is not giving any communication. Common suspicion is that they've run out of money, perhaps because it was used to fund Drew's restaurant Libertine. Considering Drew did a fundraiser for his restaurant by selling daypacks and wallets which were supposed to be delivered in June, it's not an unreasonable theory.

All of this is hearsay, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.