1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

All started because someone didn't have $20. Sounds a lot like the Sale thread or the Customs experiences thread.

2. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

Explaining things the Drew Keith way

3. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  4. sipang

sipang Well-Known Member

at least they don't try to charge you designer prices for it like all the parasitic insta-brands

7 people like this.
  5. melonadejello

melonadejello Well-Known Member

An occasional poster here is part of this company that just put their first stuff up for sale yesterday
    I have never handled them or anything but they look good and they are much cheaper than I expected
    Lots of nice details and handy compartments

http://veltdesigns.com/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  7. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

I bought a Zara SLP knock-off shirt recently. [​IMG]

8. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Well-Known Member

Simple Clothes For You To Complicate

-GAP
    Dress Normal

9. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Well-Known Member

I read this as "pocket square whales" and was sorely disappointed not to find any whales.

2 people like this.
  10. dieworkwear

Kind of tangentially related, Rachel Seville -- the blogger behind Pizza Rules -- had a good post today on the transformation of womenswear blogs (Seville's blog, incidentally, is one of the ones that I think is doing really good work now. Obviously a bit "industry driven," cause she works in the industry, but great to follow if you care about industry related stuff. It's clearly not being made cause Seville is being paid marketing dollars or whatever).

Anyway, the meat of her post:

You can read the rest here.

1 person likes this.
  11. penanceroyaltea

penanceroyaltea Well-Known Member

12. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

Can't funds come from conventional click advertising?

13. LA Guy

While she writes well, and I generally enjoy her stuff, I don't think that she says anything interesting in that piece. It's the same harrumphing that's been going on for a long time now. We saw the entire trajectory here. I mean, when Styleforum was already established, Scot Shuman started posting here, and the critics were all "Argh, darn kids". And it went straight from "darn kids" to "ugh, I'm sooooo over bloggers" in a single season. Her punch line? "News is the new news." BAM.

I have been interested in the business of fashion as long as I've been even peripherally involved in the industry, and I can certainly see how "fashion news", meaning news about the fashion industry, will become more appealing to a specific audience, as the industry becomes less opaque to the general public. But I think that that story is more about the general public's evolving understanding of the fashion industry, rather than "This is what comes after blogging." If anything, the story that is being missed is that awareness of the workings of the fashion industry have come through the more developed forums, like Styleforum or The FashionSpot. The reason is that the core purpose of forums is discussion, and "equal playing field" engagement, rather than to project a specific POV, and that the former format lends itself much better to news discussion (for better or worse, see our Current Events section), than a soapbox.

Back on the subject of whether blogging is finished, I think that POV bloggers will stay, not because there is an audience, although having one helps, but because people want to project their POV, good or shitty, into the world. Even if the overall audience decreases, the bloggers will continue, perhaps just with shifted expectations.

1 person likes this.
  14. dieworkwear

Yea, I don't really buy the idea that news is the new news either. IMO, most people have fairly straightforward relations with clothes (and fashion). They just want to look good at the office and what not. But it is interesting that BoF has blown up so quickly. I get the impression that much of their readership are people who are not in the fashion industry.

1 person likes this.
  15. LA Guy

Some does. But as we move towards a mobile world, conventional CPM and CPC display advertising becomes less and less lucrative. Basically, people buy less using mobile than using a PC. Content-base and other "native" advertising is higher paying because it is much more effective.

I think that there are shitty, shortsighted ways of doing "native" advertising. And I think that a lot of this is because the ideas come from the advertiser, rather than the publisher, side. Advertisers, except those few that have a symbiotic relationship with a specific publisher, have no vested interested in the viability of a publisher, and especially blogs, which are, for the most part, replaceable and interchangeable. And frankly, there are few publishers that have the ability and inclination to develop better, more sustainable, advertising products, and to bang their heads against walls selling them to advertisers, both big, and small.

16. LA Guy

I get the impression that much of their readership are people who are peripherally involved in the fashion industry, or would like to be involved in the industry. And in the past few years, a lot of people get to fit into those categories, since the barrier for entry is now really, really, low. imo, it's part of the same story into which bloggers fit, and at the center of it all is the internet.

17. dieworkwear

18. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Well-Known Member

I just want to say that reviewing products in a way that they are not at all supposed to be used is a fantastic idea, and would allow you to be pretty much completely unbiased even if you got them for free. They still get some nice pictures of the product before, during and after the "test", and their name at the top of the page so some exposure, but the "review" should still be very fun to read if done well. (And then people can just chime in in the comments whether or not the brand is good for normal use or one's experience with it, maintaining an unbiased discussion)

19. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

How would you test clothing in a way they are not supposed to be used?

Will it blend, will it garden, will it mountaineer?

Sort of look like a Hard Graft iPhone wallet wrapped in a pocket square.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.