1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eternaldrake

eternaldrake Well-Known Member

ive been out of the game for a while, whats the best bang for your buck these days on quality basics, cause id like to get a bunch of new t shirts. in a perfect world id get a time machine and stock up on +j. just stock up at uniqlo?

here have a somewhat relevant article i heard on npr http://www.pri.org/stories/2014-08-25/tiny-people-among-us-uniqlo-comes-rescue-now

'3-d fit' nyehehehe

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  2. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

IRA Owner
    IRA Owenr
    IRA Owen
    RICK OWEN

fml wth

3. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Well-Known Member

eternaldrake, yes, get uniqlo--quality continues to diminish, so buy something, and if you like it, buy more of it immediately.

specifically, I noted a change in quality between seasons with the cashmere pullovers and the slim-fit chinos in the past year, but oxfords are holding for now, though they promise they are "updating their collar," which sounds like a shitty idea to me. Tees have changed but not really for the worse imo, just a little different than they were a few years ago when I was buying random tees as they'd pop up on b&s. I just bought my first pair of socks from uniqlo and i'm not dissatisfied, so maybe those are doing ok still.

4. habitant

habitant Well-Known Member

5. cocostella

cocostella Well-Known Member

Be forewarned, Uniqlo abruptly changed the sizing of their prima cotton/supreme multi-pack Ts sometime last year. I was always a Med, but now am a large. Wear med Hains and Uniqlo OCBDs too... Still solid for random jeans and OCBDs though.

6. eternaldrake

eternaldrake Well-Known Member

oh boy i was already buying xs in their v-necks this should be fun

7. Meis

Meis Well-Known Member

Honestly, having bought stuff from uniqlo for a few years I haven't noticed any real overall decline in quality. Each item changes from year to year... for example- the lambswool sweater I bought last year wasn't quite as nice as the one I have from a few years back, but the slim chinos I got this spring were nicer than the ones I had bought last spring/summer.

1 person likes this.
  8. cocostella

cocostella Well-Known Member

habitant

I don't think so. In theory, I kinda' like the idea of "glamming" up such a workwear staple... but i dunno, those don't hit for me for some reason.

9. raginberriodoom

raginberriodoom Well-Known Member

It seems like a pretty common trend to claim that a brand's quality is dropping the older the brand gets (or a brand is getting more expensive, etc. - basically, it's getting worse). I can't recall any brands where people commonly say the quality is getting better, or it's getting cheaper, etc.

Don't know if this is groupthink or reality. I haven't noticed any major decline overall in Uniqlo's stuff, but I'm also not an expert on clothing construction and fabric so...

10. ManofKent

ManofKent Well-Known Member

Agreed - it varies from piece to piece.

11. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

aint that the truth

3 people like this.
  12. sinnedk

That sucks

13. SmileForum

SmileForum Well-Known Member

Nationwide, Uniqlo needs to seriously make changes on these

-Cut back on UT line of art, video game, and anime collaborations, although I think they call it SPRZ now. Not enough of their consumers know about these, or ever will.
    -Stock far more size Small, and Medium premium t's and oxfords. That shit sells out so fast here in the various nyc store, even before sales start. All I ever see left is XL all over the mens area.
    -Make greater awareness that there is in fact measurements for almost everything in store. They don't have to alter the current sizes, just make those size charts bigger...
    -Cut back on some of the more unappealing colors of everything in store. This is something they shouldn't have a hard time figuring out...
    -Cut back on accessories, it's like Old Navy and such, aint nobody buying your flip flops, and gloves.
    -Make +J an annual thing. It'll have a similar effect to McDonalds bringing back those damn rib sandwiches every now and then.

14. Donut

Donut Well-Known Member

If only +J could come back. Shit was the best for mid-range basics.

I still wear my emerald cashmere sweater from the last season sup jet sup mellowfellow.

1 person likes this.
  15. sinnedk

i agree on most of this, really hope they don't start closing up stores. Its my favorite for basics.

16. SmileForum

SmileForum Well-Known Member

Herringbone lambswool fabric needs to come back. I'm closing in on five years with it as a cardigan. Thrown in the washer so many times, and it's still holding up incredibly well. Little to no pilling in that amount of daily wear.

17. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

Not related to men's clothing, but an amazing video on Rick Owen's FW03 collection. Video found via Rosenrot's Facebook page, which has a ton of great links, for those interested

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
    3 people like this.
  18. nicelynice

nicelynice Well-Known Member

I saw a dude near Arts&Science wearing a Rick jacket who looked Orlando Bloom, which caused me to think "damn, that guy looks like Orlando Bloom." RO Tokyo Instragram just posted a picture with Orlando Bloom, confirming that yes, that dude was indeed Orlando Bloom. Orlando Bloom.

20 people like this.
  19. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Well-Known Member

i'm glad he was what you thought he'd be, i saw michael fassbender the other day and thought 'eh he's just some short ginger-y guy'.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  20. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

I love their house shoes, well not as much as those from Muji, not sure they sell those outside asia though...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.