1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thewho13

thewho13 Well-Known Member

I love milk and eggs, but I'm thinking about going vegetarian and even giving up the ovo-lacto stuff too. :alien:

RFT: I haven't bought any clothes in several months apart from a couple basic t-shirts. I'm enjoying putting work into my body's health more than I ever did gambling with B&S, webshop sales, or going through the hassle of returning unwanted Yoox garb. Feels good.

RFTx2: I need to sell way too many clothes.

3 people like this.
  2. brightorangetrousers

brightorangetrousers Well-Known Member

Good luck with possible veganism! Dairy industry is horrific when you look into it...

1 person likes this.
  3. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

Drinking a lot of milk and having a lot of dairy is not necessarily good for you. There is a lot of fat. Moderation is the key... But yes humans aren't made to digest milk and in fact we are the only mammals that drink milk past infancy. Also i am lactose intolerant, found out around 25 as well. I just get lactose free milk or almond milk (don't like soy milk), problem solved.

4. click here

click here Well-Known Member

I went to the Margaret Howell store in London today. They were having final reductions sale with a good selection of sizes but they were still a bit expensive for me. Now I am not familiar with MH clothing...is there anything I should check out, I have a chance to go there again.

5. sti1zkin

sti1zkin Well-Known Member

Were the reductions further than 50%?

6. jet

jet Well-Known Member

be careful broski, eating lots of fat will make you fat

3 people like this.
  7. BreezyBirch

BreezyBirch Well-Known Member

you get dope super powers if you go vegan

5 people like this.
  8. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

eating lots of calories will make you fat. it's not about whether or not it's a fat (although its easier to overeat fat than say protein)

2 people like this.
  9. Hirsh

Hirsh Well-Known Member

I eat lots of calories and I'm not fat!:)

10. stafa

stafa Well-Known Member

i'm pretty sure he was just taking a shot at bro science

1 person likes this.
  11. zissou

zissou Well-Known Member

Funny, was just browsing the site. I'd probably enjoy looking at everything, but none of it is going to be a steal. Much of the suiting looks like it's half price, but I'd be more inclined to check out the shirting and knitwear. I could go for this shirt, for summertime weekend wear:
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  12. DLester

DLester Well-Known Member

Ugh there is this thing I want on sale that I want but don't need (more white hightops). I keep goan back to the website and the fuckn things r still there, like a puppy in the window of a pet shop and I am looking at it and saying "hey I have like six puppies at home and don't need u" and it keeps looking so appealing and etc and I keep thinking "well maybe", and here I am visiting 2x a day, this thing I don't need. Ugh

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    6 people like this.
  13. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

lol whoosh

14. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

Yeah, your friends all vanish.

4 people like this.
  15. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Well-Known Member

Saw the white high balenciagas still up on sneakerboy and was kind of surprised of myself when I after a few moments decided that: "Nah I have my B&N's, I don't need another pair of white hi's"

16. Brothersport

Brothersport Well-Known Member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

3 people like this.
  17. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

The Pros and Cons of Going Vegetarian (from The Onion)
    Disclosure: I'm vegetarian

10 people like this.
  18. zissou

zissou Well-Known Member

Anyone recommend some luxe heritage knitwear, for lack of a better term? I'm not looking for something to be worn with a tie, though. I'm thinking more along the lines of something a fisherman might wear, but couldn't afford to wear.

I'm burned out on Inverallan and Inis Meain, so don't recommend those. My latest purchase was Margaret Howell's indigo linen cable knit, as an example.
    [​IMG]

19. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

You thought about Minotaur or Nonnative fisherman style knits? There's always the CM Italian brands too.

20. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

I don't like CM/ SWD distinctions, but to the degree they're helpful, here are some CM-ish suggestions.

Stock might be completely sold out by now, but Berk in London's Burlington Arcade has been going out of business for a while, and they recently put all of their stock on heavy, heavy clearance. They hold some of the best, remaining Scottish knitwear brands in the world. A friend of mine has written about them and Ballantyne here:

Skipping in Burlington Arcade

An Obit for Ballantyne

(Berk's stuff is made by Barrie, now owned by Chanel. Ballantyne's machines have been smashed up and the name has been sold. Unfortunately, the new Ballantyne stuff I've seen is not really worth the money, but the old stuff is nice. Old stuff is also sold at Berk. Or at least was, don't know if they're still open. Shop could be completely shuttered at this point).

Here are some photos of a Berk cardigan being worn by a member here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Note, Berk's stock is sized in UK sizing. So the knitwear is sized by the actual garment's chest size, not the size of the intended wearer's chest.

I also really like William Lockie. I bought a 4-ply cashmere cable knit sweater from them last year and it's held up really well. Just placed an order for a few more, actually. They'll take custom orders if their current sizing doesn't fit you, but custom sweaters are of course not returnable. Haven't tried anything else but this cashmere cable knit (model is Chirnside on their Heather Wallace store), but I imagine everything else is quite good.

Some (boring) photos:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lastly, I bought a chunky lambswool shawl collar cardigan made by Scott & Charters a couple of years ago. Also think the quality there is really good. They make these for many of the more popular "SWD" brands you see around - Epaulet, Ovadia & Sons, etc. They're also stocked under their own label at NMWA and East Dane.

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.