1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicelynice

nicelynice Well-Known Member

If it's that big, you're gonna need some reconstruction to the seat and sides as well to keep the proportions right. I do this all time, but I have an excellent tailor and it runs me around $70 and takes a month or so.

edit: And by all the time, I mean I've done it twice.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  2. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Well-Known Member

Thanks man. That's what I was afraid of.
    I've only ever had basic tailoring (the waist is too big/inseam too long, pin it, tailor takes it in).
    I guess I'll give it a go since the pants are only $50, even if it costs another $50 to fix it's still under half price.

3. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

You could probably have the waist slimmed by 1-1.5 inches without having to do crazy things elsewhere. It depends on how the rise compares to what you usually wear, but 2 inches is about the most you can do without compromising elsewhere. The thing is, though, that if they're true to size, you can probably bring them down an inch or so and get away with it without an issue.

4. OccultaVexillum

Both pairs I'm looking at are a tagged 34, I usually wear a 34, sometimes a 33.
    But the chinos measure closer to 37". Even though the 34's I wear typically measure more like 35",
    37" seems extreme, however, all of the other major measurements (thigh, knee, rise, hem) seem pretty perfect and in line with normal sizes in my closet.
    The raw denim - waist measures 17.75" - would be pretty good but after the .5" of stretch they're bound to have in them that's going to be crazy loose. I like some room in the waist but I don't want to wear a belt. I hate belts and only wear them if I have to (ie/ suit).
    With all of this said, again I don't have any issues with getting something tailored and bringing in the waist If I have to, I'm just concerned (and curious) what the upper limit is before it starts to throw everything else off and makes them look like shit with hip flair and billowing ass and thighs etc.

5. Dbear

Dbear Well-Known Member

u really got to try it on (with option to return) bc posted measurements online for denim or whatever you're looking at can be incredibly misleading

6. OccultaVexillum

True, but its brands I am familiar with and stores that are pretty good with measurements.

Anyway, thanks all. I pulled the trigger as it sounds relatively "doable" and if it's all messed up I'm not going to be losing much. The possible payoff outweighs the risks on both pairs.

7. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

8. canstyleace

canstyleace Well-Known Member

I've taken in the waist of around 5-6 pants in the last couple years, 1"-1.25" is easily doable strait at the back unless pockets are too close to begin with, whenever I've needed more than that I've had to do the back + sides and sides are tricky, pretty easy to get pocket flare if they aren't done properly, just make sure they take in both sides evenly, not just back + 1 side which was once suggested to me

9. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

Wouldn't the pocket flare be more the result of taking in the seat, upper thigh versus just nipping the waist? I just took 5 pairs to have the waist taken in about 1" to 1,25" because I wear a belt and I've realized it causes unsightly dimples in the back and scrunching of the waist band.

The tailor is good enough to point this out after the many times I have been to various shops.

I think it really depends on how much material is available in the waist. Also, what type of bottoms i.e. dress trousers versus chinos. The former is a much simpler fix. The pocket maybe also more apparent with a pair of dress trousers due to the clean lines versus denim that is rigid. Denim should loosen up overtime and settle. I can't say the same for a pair of wool trousers. Maybe if you going for a looser silhouette then it can be more forgiving.

10. canstyleace

depends on the type of pant yes, but ime most times the waist band is un-stitched from the sides to shorten it and when reattaching to the pant they do like a dart at the side seems and that also creates pocket flare if its not done properly

if its just taken in form the back then yeah no worries of getting pocket flare

11. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

Some jawnz on their way from Australia (thanks @Razele). ToJ calf rider soon (TYBD). The anticipation builds. :nodding::bounce2:

Soon after that, SS pre-orders should be arriving from various places. Then Vanson x Styleforum rider. :satisfied:

1 person likes this.
  12. conceptual 4est

conceptual 4est Well-Known Member

Poll is up for this weeks SW&D challenge, and the turnout was good! We have somewhere around 20 members that left their computers/homes in the past 2 weeks, so I'm feeling pretty good about this!

Go vote now [​IMG]

13. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial

I desperately need @nicelynice's cropped *Kolor trousers

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  14. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Well-Known Member

so, has anyone else tried the tillmann oversized coat from this season (1, 2)? It's sitting in my closet right now with the tags still on, and I can't decide if the cut is weird in a cool way or just weird. It's slim in the arms and super voluminous in the body. Dunno man.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  15. canstyleace

post a fit (and let the internet decide)

16. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Well-Known Member

Perhaps! Internet pics are deceptive, though, especially w/ volume. We'll see

17. g transistor

g transistor Well-Known Member

18. conceptual 4est

conceptual 4est Well-Known Member

9 people like this.
  19. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

BCD is Ryan Gosling's stylist not trainer. Direct those questions to kunk.

3 people like this.
  20. ManofKent

ManofKent Well-Known Member

Kolor do some nice stuff, but their sizing is definitely aimed at less 'big boned ;) ' people than me... :embar:

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.