1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joewood

joewood Well-Known Member

From the internet is a good answer, often would be shameful to say the prices.

2. nicelynice

nicelynice Well-Known Member

Was trying to find measurements for a PH jacket. .. found this fit:
    this is the "daddest" way you can wear MA+ shoes and a Paul Harnden jacket. ..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
    8 people like this.
  3. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

That picture actually made me shudder.

4. ChetB

ChetB Well-Known Member

Strangest part about these Margiela "reveals" is learning that all these fashion designers use LinkedIn.

5. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

"Martin Margiela Would Like You to Join His LinkedIn Network"

2 people like this.
  6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

I think that it's awesome. If you want subversive, this is as subversive as you get. It's reappropriating an appropriated image. I fucking love it. I have to say that I love this over any number of super skinny dudes all styled "correctly." This guys is giving a big fuck you to the clothes themselves by taking their specialness into his very "normal" outfit. You know all those "This may be a bit extreme, but if you pair with X basics, you get classic with a twist" type of articles in any number of magazines? This is taking that advice, at face value, but not even botheing to #menswear it. AWESOME.

10 people like this.
  7. Abraxis

Abraxis Well-Known Member

You mean normcore? ;p

8. LA Guy

No, normcore is something else. Normcore is deliberately non-descript, as contradictory as that might sound. This guys is not that. The pieces draw immediate interest. No, this is something different, whether he understands it or not. He wants to wear Harnden and MA+, but he wants to make the clothes conform to his style, rather than embracing the usualy way to wear these clothes.

1 person likes this.
  9. nicelynice

Yeah, I don't outright dislike the fit (I don't love it either, but then again I don't like dress shirts tucked into jeans). I enjoy seeing brands taken out of their "context," if "all black everything" is even appropriate context for PH and MA+. I dress down stuff like this all the time

Casual PH done a bit better:

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  10. nicelynice

I want a Paul Harnden heavy tweed mac so badly, tried them on yesterday, but I'm not spending $2700 on a coat. I don't think any other winter coat can do it for me at this point. Stephan Schneider stuff felt quaint after handling the Harnden piece. Been fishing the secondhand market, but no luck.. If you're a smaller dude, excellent price on a women's size S, will fit a men's XS:

http://page4.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/d150013153

Measurements are a bit deceiving, meant to be worn a bit oversized and the fabric is thick.

11. Hirsh

Hirsh Well-Known Member

Just ordered 4 Thomas Pink pink shirts yesterday

Have the room because I'm having a clear out - everything over 15 years old must go!

Fashion goes in 10 year cycles, so hopefully I won't miss what I've given when it comes round again!

Can't wait to receive my parcel in the mail!

Only have 2 empty wooden hangers to fill now and my closet is full but have another jacket nearly 20 years old that has to go next week as well:)

12. LA Guy

Try older Engineered Garments. I have an olive Engineer jacket from circa 2005, and it feels a lot like Harnden, and it is also ridiculously heavy. Got it off our B&S brand new, from back in the day when the norm was to just offload your brand new stuff that didn't work out for 75% off retail. I remember that I paid $160 for it. Starting about 2008 (i.e. the WWM years), the fabrics became lighter, and although still cool, just a little more generic.

13. nicelynice

Yeah, that is a great idea.. I'm sure they've put out something in line with what I'm looking for. Whenever I find an EG piece I like, though, there's always an extra pocket or flap or something I could do without. And still, nothing can match that heavy PH wool/linen tweed.

14. steveoffice

steveoffice Well-Known Member

I would have instakopped Yang Li bomber and viscose blazer if they were size 46 :censored:

1 person likes this.
  15. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  16. dieworkwear

Off topic, but @LA Guy, are you still planning to start threads on "best watches for under $10k?" I'd be interested to read reader's responses. Even under $15k might be good. Both for dress watches and sport watches.

I feel like at $20k, nobody here (or very few) will ever pay that amount, so maybe $15k would make for a fun thread. High enough to get exciting suggestions, but not so high that it basically just becomes some absurd Robb Report reading or whatever.

I think it'd also be good to open it up to vintage suggestions, but I know you were against that with the other threads. IMO, vintage watches are typically a lot more interesting, but I also understand your reservations.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  17. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

JLC MUT Moon phase. @dieworkwear if you follow the CM watch appreciation thread, there's users with multiple $20k watches.

18. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

$20k is low, no frills and couple others have multiple $40k< watches.

19. basil rathbone

basil rathbone Well-Known Member

$40k watch sounds like a frill to me.

1 person likes this.
  20. dieworkwear

My point isn't whether or not there are members here who own really expensive things. My point is to set some price mark where I think you can engage people on the forum, but also have it be high enough so that you get more interesting suggestions. $5k and below seems to generate good, but somewhat generic suggestions. Feels like if you open the door to $15k, you can get slightly more interesting recommendations (esp if you open it to vintage), but also make it so that members can find the thread useful.

Obviously that magical cut off point will be different for everyone. If people think it's $20k, that's OK too. I was just suggesting $15k cause that's about the most I can imagine spending on a watch, personally.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.