1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Well-Known Member

I'm bored so I'll expand on this for no reason at all

I like the idea of packing up my whole wardrobe in two duffles if I choose to. Since the last year I have been really careful with my purchases and kept only the items that I think will be part of my rotation for many years to come. It is not something out of the ordinary but when I spend $800 on a knit I would like for it to get a lot of wear and not be a closet queen. To tell you the truth I want to buy items and keep them (presumably) forever or until they are useless. Selling items at a steep discount to buy other items is a waste of time in my mind and besides probably two items I am considering selling I would like to never sell anything again....because I am too busy wearing and enjoying the item

In recent years I have purchased what I think are staples to my wardrobe that I will wear for the foreseeable future (I obviously buy only Margiela so that makes the buying process even simpler). I have a total of four cream knits. The one I just wore in WAYWT, a Replica Fishermans, and a Wool Leather patch one and a viscose knit. I am pretty much done on that front. I have also purchased my favorite rotation of footwear in a while which includes Replica boots, midnight boots, and SLP boots

Looking at my closet I have the following that I can be happy with for a long time

4 Cream Knits
    4 Random Colored Knits
    6 Pair of Trousers
    4 Footwear Choices
    6 Assorted T's/Margielas version of polos etc
    1 Pair of sunglasses
    1 Jewelry piece
    2 Suits
    3 Shirts
    1 Viscose Jacket
    Assorted Beachwear Items
    2 Travel Bags (Eyeing Valextra at the moment though)

I like simple and at this point I just know what I like. If I can't wear a certain item of clothing it bothers me at times because again we spend so much on them they might as well be worn and I am not talking beating the shit out them, taking care of them is also important to me. I am not scared to sweat or baby them, but I won't go jogging or into a situation where they will be ruined or stained either

Again to be completely honest the often ridiculed Rick Owens quote made sense to me so fewer clothes more gym and I just enjoy what I have

Of course with my laid back Caribbean beach guy thing...it is easy, you guys up north or in LAGuy's cold, rainy, and cloudy utopia might have a harder time with it

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
    6 people like this.
  2. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Well-Known Member

That's cool Regis. I'm surprised you don't have a 5-zip.

3. RegisDB9

Technically I do, it is a viscose 5zip

Haven't found my coveted cream suede one

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  4. joewood

joewood Well-Known Member

I don't see any reason to do this, because there is more than one great brand (Ann, C-DIEM, IS, Guidi, Zam...). You just have to know what you're doing when mixing different brands.

5. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

I loled

5 people like this.
  6. g transistor

g transistor Well-Known Member

For regis it's probably a lot easier than others-- he lives in an area where it's pretty much 1 season, maybe 2. Notice the lack of outerwear, and especially in areas where it gets colder having a minimalist wardrobe becomes more and more difficult since layering is king. Even then I'm not sure I would call Regis's list that minimalist, hell, to me 4 choices of footwear is a lot. I know plenty of people who go about with only 2 pairs of shoes.

I think all of us here have toyed around with the idea of a minimalist wardrobe. But to me it's super boring and just sort of like a masturbatory "oh I only own 1 shirt 1 pants 1 underwear and 1 shoe" type thing. Like, cool, I guess, if that's your thing then fight the good fight but what's the point of it, really? There's also the fact that owning less things means wearing them much more often meaning you have to spend a lot more time taking care of your stuff, more resources spent repairing, more laundry, more drycleaning, etc. It's not that great of a concept, in the end.

I'm not saying that we should buy more more more, but just owning less does not equal better. It also does not necessarily mean that you know what you want or have a strong sense of style, either.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
    10 people like this.
  7. RegisDB9

My opinion varies but hey it is late, to each his own

8. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

No, its 10am. :embar:

9. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

What happened to Tenue De Nimes webshop?

10. ChetB

ChetB Well-Known Member

I've tried to do the minimalist wardrobe thing but get antsy, see stuff I like that doesn't "fit the plan" and, craving some variety and novelty again, give up. After a while I'll get tired of excess and try to pair down again—it's a reactionary cycle.

The idea appeals to me, though I'm not sure if all the reasons behind the appeal are rational or represent some mild form of OCD. I too like the idea of fitting everything into a couple of duffle bags, but I'm not totally sure why—I can't imagine ever needing to do that. For some reason it does bother me to wear items from lots of different brands, even though the items themselves are cool individually and look good together.

11. noob in 89

noob in 89 Well-Known Member

Tetris remains the driving force behind my illustrious wardrobe. I value many things, I can't always choose what comes my way, in what shape, at what speed, and things are likely to pile up quickly, but sooner or later, the right piece will come along and knock everything into place.

.​

1 person likes this.
  12. KingJulien

KingJulien Well-Known Member

I really dislike most of what I've seen of Lemaire. He doesn't seem to have anything to distinguish him and the minimalism party has already been way overcrowded for years.

1 person likes this.
  13. g transistor

g transistor Well-Known Member

oh it wasn't an attack on you at all, and i apologize if it comes off that way. I think it works for people with a certain lifestyle/climate/vision, you falling into that category. for most others it's like trying a fad diet or something

1 person likes this.
  14. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Well-Known Member

wrongo bongo

15. habitant

habitant Well-Known Member

that was the only good part

1 person likes this.
  16. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Well-Known Member

The minimalism discussion reminds me: I sold something a few months ago that I had been trying p hard to get to fit into rotation somehow. It wasn't working, so getting rid of it has liberating enough to motivate me to get rid of more stuff. It's easy to get too much shit. Now, I'm not a minimalist about it--for many of us, different demands on our lives, day to day, demand different wardrobes--but this is just a reminder to myself and others: sell off the things you aren't wearing.

edit: and more on topic with the rest of my post, sell the things that aren't working.

1 person likes this.
  17. Dbear

Dbear Well-Known Member

I try to keep as small of a wardrobe as possible. Most of time, in order for me to buy something, I have to sell something first to lessen the damage.

I just gave away my first ever SF purchase to a friend, a pair of indy boots. So I've been trying to replace it. Been trying to get a pair of Virgils, and been scouring all the JP proxies and auctions but no luck. Finally, it seemed like they are dropping some ICT ones that look beyond perfect, but what's the price tag? $1,895. Proxy even quoted me $2,000. Dayaaaaam man =/

18. KingJulien

KingJulien Well-Known Member

This was illuminating, thank you [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. joewood

joewood Well-Known Member

Yeah, quality over quantity. I also try to keep my wardrobe reasonable, it's easier when choices are limited and I don't see any reason why I'd need so many different outfits. Just wear whatever I like most and keep it simple.

20. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Well-Known Member

The Nick Wooster line for Lardini looks like he's been borrowing heavily from Paul Harnden

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.