1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

Well yeah if everybody had a living wage everybody would be well off but who's going to give you your living wage? Other people?

2. DividedWay

DividedWay Well-Known Member

I buy and sell slowly, and it's about the only outlet I have. As for other stats, I was political science with a 3.78 GPA from u. Wash. Seattle.

As for living wage, yes, everyone else is. Bumping up minimum wage increases spending and economic activity, which means that businesses make more money. Keynesian economics - it works.

3. skeen7908

skeen7908 Well-Known Member

All the social justice warriors and disgruntled graduates are missing the point.

The article above says waiters are making up to $150k/year.

I know personally a guy who got an engineering degree, but chooses to work as a waiter instead as the salary with tips (many of which are tax free) is greater than what he would get as an engineer.

1. Write down what I order
    2. Take it to the kitchen
    3. Bring the food to me when its ready
    4. Shut the fuck up

That is a minimum wage job, not a cent more. Whether you get it in tips or directly from the employer is irrelevant, but these waiters are making way more than the minimum wage because of people tipping 20, 25, 30(!) %
    It should be a job for the mentally slow, ill-disciplined, completely unskilled, not a legitimate career choice

4. DividedWay

Yet when you ask the waiter about wine, you appreciate the fact that the job isn't minimum wage- because those jobs have massive turnover, and you don't want a waiter who doesn't know shit about the offerings. If you're paying $450 for a dinner, you don't want mcdonalds level customer service.

5. indesertum

:lol:

You'd probably be pretty unhappy with a waiter who is mentally slow, unskilled, and ill disciplined and would probably never go back to the restaurant again

I wanna see what happens when you go to CE

:lol: at the last statement

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  6. Benesyed

Benesyed Well-Known Member

Ill PM you my questions because idk if thats something ok to really discuss openly on a forum. But briefly, I did not go into poli sci specifically because unless you are at a top 10 school, know someone, or get an amazing chance to show some skills that are usable, its hard to really distinguish yourself for anything. Its the same danger with law. Graduates at schools like northwestern have trouble getting jobs just because the quality jobs get poached by top 3 students, connects, or students that were both hard working AND able to get a solid chance to demonstrate that.

You know to be honest I do find myself asking from time to time if the intellectual difference (assuming one even exists) between me and the average person really justifies a difference in pay/lifestyle to the degree that exists. Is that really just or fair? And how do we even deal with something like that. I do truly feel bad, and I guess my attitude towards take out tipping is a little dickish. I definitely have become less caring over the course of medical school :embar:

7. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

Don't really want to get into discussion but don't think this article has been posted:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101451789

Hopefully this doesn't turn into raising minimum wage discussion :deadhorse:

8. futuresailors

futuresailors Well-Known Member

@skeen7908 Denny's waitstaff forgetting their place?

2 people like this.
  9. KingJulien

KingJulien Well-Known Member

His statement is debatable but it's supported by a very large number of economists at top schools so it's hardly deserving of ridicule. It's the same reason the US government dished out huge tax refunds during the recession.

10. DividedWay

Ahh yes, classical economics. Who could argue with it when Greece and Spain are doing so well while the Japanese economy flounders for the first time in decades.

11. Urthwhyte

Urthwhyte Well-Known Member

114 posts since 9AM. Clicked through wondering if Schneider or Geller or some other SF favourite had died.

Nope. Just Tipping.

16 people like this.
  12. indesertum

You're an idiot if you think the world is divided into the binaries of classical and Keynesian economics when both sides are divided into so much more

Between 2008 and 2010 there was a large coalition of economists who felt that Keynesian economics actually worked but that coalition has long since dissolved and fractured. US and European policies no longer really affect such views.

I do think tipping would go away if minimum wage was like $15. You don't really tip out of gratitude or reward for service. Studies show you tip out of guilt but people like to say as reward for performance (even tho performance and tip amount has poor correlation)

13. superego

superego Well-Known Member

it's less about choosing to ruin their lives than it is a sort of inevitability. all this stuff tends to happen, and not always or to all of them, precisely because there isn't a solid foundation for these types of people to build a life on--whether it's due to family issues or peers or whatever, environmental factors play a huge part in all this stuff.

as bene alluded to, a poly sci major is a tough sell. if you have any proclivity and/or interest, have you considered trying to develop more of a technical/quantitative skill set? not really sure what you're trying to do, but there are and will always be business/quant analyst type jobs, at a minimum, for folks with some quant/statistical training and basic excel/sql/whatever skills. tons of stuff like this here in seattle, particularly--add more dev/programming to the mix, and your prospects are even better.

you're making the 'very large number of economists at top schools' bit up. quantitative easing was entirely founded in this thinking and has fallen on its face--the more money put into the hands of the american people, the more they've put into the bank due to lack of confidence. bernanke himself, amongst, if not the foremost recession economist in the world, has has acknowledged it didn't work as he'd hoped, and it's precisely why recovery post-recession hasn't yet fully taken off

2 people like this.
  14. g transistor

g transistor Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  15. DLester

DLester Well-Known Member

also:
    - broad claims
    - oversimplification
    - anecdotal evidence
    - personal opinions presented as fact
    - the usual SF humblebrag
    - and uncited hooey

8 people like this.
  16. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Well-Known Member

Not everything has to be cited. Real life son. Moo out.

1 person likes this.
  17. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Well-Known Member

- hip flies

1 person likes this.
  18. canstyleace

canstyleace Well-Known Member

19. reedobandito

reedobandito Well-Known Member

In other news, Trader Joe's now stocks Ghost Pepper chili powder in grinder cans. Bought one, tried it...One of the weirdest spice sensations I've ever experienced. It felt like someone had lit a fire in my chest, and I couldn't breath very well. But it wasn't so spicy in my mouth. Maybe it has to be cooked into something, I just sprinkled it onto some Pad Kee Mao so idk

20. willy cheesesteak

willy cheesesteak Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

18 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.