1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dorje

Dorje Well-Known Member

g trans, yes, I know only wait staff get paid $2, but most of the time wait staff seem to bring me carryouts. Sometime hostesses and I don't mind giving them a small tip either. Tipping is one of those things where an extra dollar can make a big difference so I don't mind spending it...

2. LelandJ

LelandJ Well-Known Member

For my local spots I frequent, I do 25% on takeout and 30% eating in. There's one restaurant I really like the food at but the server's exceptionally and unconsciously annoying, I only tip her 20% but she thinks that's a good tip. [​IMG]

I worked front of the house in some of the top restaurants in the country so I tip higher than average.

3. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

20-25% on freaking carryout? there was an article about this now proliferating "tip jar" concept that is everywhere. there's one at the self-serve frozen yogurt place for christ sakes. what??
    if I eat in the restaurant and you bring my food, get me some extra whatever, replenish my drinks, take away the plates etc. then you are providing a service. when I get carryout and pay you for the food, I paid you for the food which is what I got. seriously what's the tip for? should x-post to "Things You Don't Get"

(for the record, when I eat in I always tip and tip well providing it was earned)

2 people like this.
  4. nevergreen

nevergreen Well-Known Member

has anyone dealt with JD Fisk?

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

When you do takeout, someone is still putting everything together, making sure everything is packed properly, that you have flatware, etc... And service goes double for delivery.

3 people like this.
  6. ImaPro

ImaPro Well-Known Member

Everyone is always providing a service at some point. Doesn't mean we need to start tipping absolutely everyone. I read an article a while back of how a restaurant increased their price like 30% and started to provide health insurance and good salary for waiters, seems like a better alternative.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

Can we be tipped for posting?

8. 5354

5354 Well-Known Member

dogecoin bot you heard it here first boys and girls

1 person likes this.
  9. LA Guy

I agree, but that's just not the case for most restaurants.

I also tip above average for other services, from the cleaners to our mailman. It's just part of the social fabric.

10. Benesyed

Benesyed Well-Known Member

I tip for above average quality of service. The pay, even if sub par, is the value their service is deemed to have earned. Being in a poorly reimbursed industry is their life responsibility.

There is a cheesecake place that I love that I go to and I know the owners well and i always tip 20-30% even though there isnt much "service" but its because its a fun experience. I also tip my barber because I know her very well and she has cut my hair for a long time.

Take out order composition gets a tip if they handle a difficult order. Since I only order 1 item and I never have any additional requests its not much of a service.

11. e0d9n0b5

e0d9n0b5 Well-Known Member

y'all tipping based on 'quality of service' have clearly never had to work at a restaurant

even if the person serving me isn't having a great day and is curt/terse/even downright rude i tip 20%. working at a restaurant sucks.

that said i live in BC where the minimum wage is almost $11 last I checked, and you can't pay anybody less than that. america is twisted.

9 people like this.
  12. momentoftruth

momentoftruth Well-Known Member

classy

12 people like this.
  13. Benesyed

It also sucks to mop up the floors but I dont leave a dollar bill when the TP has be freshly restocked and there isnt shit stains on the toiler bowl.

I do tip even if the service is curt at 15%. But if they are rude? No fucking tip and I don't eat there again either. Which was my experience at a Denny's.

I am not a charity

14. LA Guy

Your answer reveals a fundamental lack of understanding of the restaurant industry. Servers get paid under minimum wage on the assumption that the majority of their income will come from tips.

Also, remember that no matter how well compensated you might be, your lifestyle depends on the system working. If no one was working in the restaurant industry, you wouldn't have any place to eat. And if no one was working in the poorly compensated apparel manufacturing industry, you wouldn't have expensive clothes to wear.

14 people like this.
  15. Caveat

Caveat Well-Known Member

There is a more to carry out orders than bringing out a box of food. Waiters are often slammed with the tables in their section and take out is like an extra table. Taking the order over the phone, entering it in the system, communicating with the kitchen on aspects of it, including the time, boxing it up, including condiments, bringing it out, taking the payment, closing out the order in the system, and doing all the work that is normally part of the job, like prepping beforehand and balancing things out at the end of the night. It's not like waiters are lining up to take the carry out orders.

Tipping is the way the restaurant system is set up and it's expected and deserved. If you don't like it, don't go to restaurants. It's that simple IMO. The rationalization that you don't tip other professions is just a bullshit excuse to be cheap. It's like buying a house and refusing to pay the agent's commission. "All you did was meet me here and open the door. The doorman at my building doesn't get a commission why should you?" If you don't like it, don't deal with agents. If you don't like tipping, either eat at home or go to a restaurant that doesn't "charge", i.e. expect, a tip.

10 people like this.
  16. Benesyed

You mean people who do a shit job wouldn't be working in the industry...? I have no universal aversion to tipping. I just don't tip people who suck because when I eat at a restaurant I have the assumption that I will receive good service. Otherwise I wouldn't eat there, and if no one was eating at the restaurant they wouldn't have any customers and they would close down for business.

But seriously, I am aware they make this assumption. I answered this indirectly when I said earlier that their decision making does not have any bearing on my own. I tip on quality of service. Not on assumptions. I don't care how other people tip, they can do as they please. In any case my lack of tipping is not going to "undermine" the system because those people need those jobs more than I need to get something from take out. I can just as easily grab a sandwich at panera where they are not allowed to accept tips.

17. Benesyed

Shit that sounds so hard..,..

Its not really a cheapness point. I tip people well if I think they did an exceptional job. An agents commission is an agreed upon contract. The tip is not. Its a courtesy. Evident by the fact that I can and continue to order take out and don't tip them for it and yet I still get my order. Try doing that with the commission.

Although I should add that there is one dude that works that I do tip if its him taking my order because he has served me many times and he did a great job every time so I tip his the same way I would if I had sat down.

18. cocostella

cocostella Well-Known Member

^^ Keep digging. Sounding cheaper by the load.

9 people like this.
  19. Benesyed

Meh, fine I guess I am cheap

20. LA Guy

Not worth any further argument. It's clear that you are not going to be convinced. I'll just say that showing a bit more generosity to other people will make you a happier person and will not adversely impact you in any way.

Do it for yourself, if for no-one else.

13 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.