• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that depends on the job interview. Yes, if it's "in creative" (i'm getting a little tired of how we talk about only one area of "real jobs" that can be thought of as being "free") then by all means, wear whatever. but we're not talking about that. we're talking about funerals and "formal" (which i would take to mean "not creative") job interviews.

As for a wake, there's nothing wrong with wearing a simple dark suit (no Plokhov zipper elbows) and black derbies.

I expect Teger would agree.

Last edited:

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
also a pair of clean black derbies is a not a pair of shiny wedge soled common projects with gold lettering on the side.. if you want to be 'adventurous' get some double leather soled tricker's or something.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Raf/Jil derbies were also listed as an option. Those would suit you perfectly well in almost all contexts.

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I disagree with this. There's a certain 'standard' that exists in men's dress in America, and when you deviate from that standard you can attract attention. That might be fine in certain contexts (or even expected, as in interview in the artistic community), but it's also extraordinary rude in other settings. You should own a pair of bland, inoffensive dress shoes and a bland, inoffensive suit for the times you want to be bland and inoffensive. I think a funeral or a wake is a good example of one of those times.

Very, very few people would notice anything other than that you're wearing "a suit with dress shoes"

honestly, I don't think most people would even notice wedge soles as long as they were the same color as the rest of the shoe.. . (as long as there's no shiny-ness or contrast soles, etc)

Last edited:

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Very, very few people would notice anything other than that you're wearing "a suit with dress shoes"
honestly, I don't think most people would even notice wedge soles as long as they were the same color as the rest of the shoe.. . (as long as there's no shiny-ness or contrast soles, etc)

You'd show up at a big law / consulting / finance / etc. interview with wedge soles? You must be a genius/have amazing references.

Last edited:

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You'd show up at a big law / consulting / finance / etc. interview with wedge soles? You must be a genius/have amazing references.

Did I say that? You did read the "very few people" part, right? Meaning not 100% of people. Yes, for those some might notice but that's a very small minority.

Last edited:

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
why take the risk? why not spend $40 to have a pair of shoes you know won't offend anyone, ever?

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Raf/Jil derbies were also listed as an option. Those would suit you perfectly well in almost all contexts.

this. no one you meet in the corporate world is going to notice the slight bulbous toe and berate you for not wearing c&j.

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

why take the risk? why not spend $40 to have a pair of shoes you know won't offend anyone, ever?

I'm just saying you don't have to, and that the vast majority of people won't notice what shoes you're wearing as long as they're not really attention grabbing and generally look similar to regular dress shoes. Personally I have exactly what you posted. I've got a pair of Park Ave's that I picked up off ebay for super cheap a while back and use for interviews/etc.

Edit: pretty much what snake said a few posts above

Last edited:

dfagdfsh

Reaction score

Most of the people there won't know what the **** the difference is between their shoes and yours, anyway. Thankfully a loved one hasn't died in my family in a long time, but when it inevitably happens I'll be sure to get through it all without wondering if Teger thought my clothes might offend someone.

I think your shoes are going to be the least of your problems when it comes to toning it down.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Idk man, do you really live your life in perpetual fear of offending someone? I guess if someone is truly offended that the soles of my shoes are white (hypothetically) they can go *************** with their park avenues. I don't want to spend my money on **** I don't like just so I don't potentially hurt someone's feelings (?), and it's hardly like I'm showing up to a funeral in khakis and a polo.

I feel like this is an excuse used by MC types to justify owning really boring, expensive clothing.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score

this. no one you meet in the corporate world is going to notice the slight bulbous toe and berate you for not wearing c&j.

the point is that while 99.99% of people won't notice, there is a small segment of people who will notice and who will care. the idea is that if you're putting together a comprehensive shoe wardrobe, that you should take a few hours and get measured and then spent $40 buying a pair of ultra-bland dress shoes just incase - it's not worth the risk possibly jeopardizing your job prospects or offending someone on the off chance that they might actually notice what you're wearing.

and while it's nice to say 'nobody notices anything ever', what's more likely - that they're going to notice when you're wearing something that conforms, or when you're wearing something out of the norm?

artishard116

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I disagree with this. There's a certain 'standard' that exists in men's dress in America, and when you deviate from that standard you can attract attention. That might be fine in certain contexts (or even expected, as in interview in the artistic community), but it's also extraordinary rude in other settings. You should own a pair of bland, inoffensive dress shoes and a bland, inoffensive suit for the times you want to be bland and inoffensive. I think a funeral or a wake is a good example of one of those times.

I like to think if I'm at a funeral, peoples minds will be on something other than my clothes.
And yes I work in a creative field and wear plokhov to job interviews.

I have no interest in ever being bland and inoffensive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads