1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superego

superego Well-Known Member

might be worthwhile asking your hr contact about what's appropriate

def not a suited culture, and mine explicitly told me there wasn't a need to wear a suit when I interviewed

that said, prob no harm dressing up if that's your thing either

otherwise, gl :)

2. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

That sounds absolute crazy.

3. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

Sounds pretty standard for interviews around here... YMMV.

4. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

I've been through a couple personality tests, but never anything thing like that, sounds like a huge waste of time and money, unless it's for someone higher up.

5. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Well-Known Member

Yeah, HR contact there said nothing about wearing or not wearing a suit, but I figure it's a safe choice. I won't bother with a tie. Thanks!

So long as there's no impromptu maths questions like another place I went for, it's all good.

It's fairly hardcore compared to everything I've been through. I had one a couple years back that flew me to Berlin for a couple of short interviews after two phonecalls, and there's another in Amsterdam that looks like it could be going the same way.

6. cyc wid it

Entry level second/third round interviews at most tech companies around here are half to full day affairs... I remember consulting being pretty in depth as well. Damn, those logic puzzles.

I remember Google used to have a 3 page application booklet once a semester in our college paper with questions like "write down the best hack you've ever written" and "write a haiku describing trafflic flow patterns" and once they had an empty box that said "improve upon this space". There were more technical questions too, but I guess that took the place of a phone screen.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. RXS09

RXS09 Well-Known Member

Reedo, you should be fine with a 42. I normally wear a 44 and my 43 MMMs fit me great.

8. fistinyoface

fistinyoface Well-Known Member

Haven't used ebay in ages. What the fuck is this global shipping program bullshit?

9. J BAILEY

J BAILEY Well-Known Member

^ tell me about it. not fun for Canadians.

edit: some helpful info in this CM thread if you want the deets.

10. skitlets

skitlets Well-Known Member

General or specific, though specific short-term rental info would be great if you know of any places that could accommodate me for 3 months. I'll be working near Union Station, so it looks like anyplace along the metro is good. The cheaper the better, and I won't have a car so walk-ability is very important. B!CD recommended Capitol Hill. I guess wherever Georgetown/law students live is my best bet?

11. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Well-Known Member

whoa

12. cyc wid it

I just want to wear a leather + T + jeans + baller sneakers or boots every day. Style regression.

5 people like this.
  13. jet

jet Well-Known Member

God I need to move to hollywood hills fuckin love LA.

I'm the opposite and I like buying the best maker for any given thing. I am like that with underwear though if that counts :lol:

14. Noctone

Noctone Well-Known Member

tech companies have the most asinine recruiting/interviewing/hiring processes, i dunno how people put up with that bullshit.

3 people like this.
  15. Benesyed

Benesyed Well-Known Member

What sort of stuff?

16. nicelynice

nicelynice Well-Known Member

Facebook interview was the WORST I've ever done - two 6ish hour days, one with the Japan team, one with the Singapore team. Every single dude had one mind-boggling impromptu math test. They spent over $1200+ flying me down and putting me up for two nights, guess they wanted their money worth. I didn't log into Facebook for like a month after that

So glad I did not get that job

6 people like this.
  17. FlyingLotus

FlyingLotus Well-Known Member

I had to work on an art test for like a month for my current job (video game co.)
    Would have been heartbreaking if I didn't get hired.

2 people like this.
  18. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

Interviewed at some tech firms, not for tech roles though. Always just wore a suit and tie, but then again I didn't get any of the positions. Process wasn't as strenuous as IB though. Maths, verbal reasoning, logical reasoning, group presentation, case study, written report, case study presentation, multiple "business interviews", motivational interviews. Takes like 10-12 hours, I think this is quite normal for higher end jobs though. I wouldn't say it's a waste of time, these firms are only hiring very few people and they want the best possible people they can get. What do they care about a couple of grand per person if it means they get the best talent.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  19. cyc wid it

With options and money. :nodding:

To be fair not all companies ball hard, but damn. Dropbox is taking employees (including plus ones) on a random Tahoe trip next month. Dafuq.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  20. Purplelabel

Purplelabel Well-Known Member

Green and pink... Is it too much? Not enough?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.