1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

Jack Threads app ad in my FB shows a shoe/jean fitpic featuring: longwings with a contrast blue suede panel and vibram sole paired with red laces combined with cuffed denim that has some sort of blue and red vertical striped lining. What is this I don't even...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
    2 people like this.
  2. magicalporks

magicalporks Well-Known Member

Quote:
    Gonna dig up an incredibly old post, but just read a pretty interesting article on the history/use of masks in Japan and thought it might be worthwhile to share.

「現代覆面考」 "Thoughts on masks in modern Japan"

It's a blog written by a grad student at a university in Kansai specializing in ethnology. It's a bit too much work to translate, so I'm just going to paraphrase the relevant bits:

Setting aside the obvious practical use of masks in Japan as a tool to prevent the spread of disease, "surgical masks" (technically they're just regular face masks that you can buy at any convenience store - they even have "menthol flavored" masks and ones with children's anime characters) have been worn for all kinds of reasons, like women who don't feel like wearing makeup, don't want to be recognized on the street, etc.

But even before the modern era, "masks" have played a role in Japanese culture. One example is the Obon Festival in August, a Japanese Buddhist custom to honor the spirits of one's ancestors. The masks are worn during the bon odori, a dance to welcome and console the spirits of the dead.

The role of the masks during this festival is to bring the normal, the mundane person and elevate him into a "nonhuman existence" (hito naranu sonzai) - one that is able to dance together with the dead.

Jumping to the 60s and 70s surgical masks were were often used along with helmets in the gakusei undou, or student protests in Japan (this was in the wake of the US-Japan Security Treaty, the Vietnam War, turmoil over Japan's postwar recovery, etc). The interesting part here is that the mask is now used as a weapon - it empowers these students to protest against the teachers and the establishment. By hiding their faces, they counterintuitively gain the ability to rebel and speak out. Again the writer uses the term hito naranu sonzai, these kids are surpassing and separating themselves from their everyday identities/ordinariness (nichijousei).

[​IMG]

Then in the 70s we have the rise of the bousouzoku, who, to oversimplify a bit, were basically biker gangs in Japan and typically emulated the greaser look + also often wore surgical masks (presumably to conceal their identities).

[​IMG]

The next section goes on to list why people say they choose to wear masks.
    - "It's somehow calming"
    - "When my teacher gets angry at me, if I wear a mask I can face him"
    - "I don't like my face"
    - "I feel more relaxed when I wear a mask knowing I'm not looked at"

This desire to be invisible to people, to cut themselves off from society, on one hand has an isolating effect, but the associations with the gakusei undou, bousouzoku, etc. is also paradoxically empowering and has the opposite effect of allowing these people to express themselves freely.

----

Essentially, when these modern kids are wearing surgical masks, it's channeling all this history and background, and I think that background does help explain why there was this attraction to surgical masks - the "frightening but fragile" look that these bullied kids adopted.

Another bit of unrelated trivia, there's also a myth in Japan of the slit-mouthed woman (kuchisake-onna), who was mutilated by her husband and returns as a malicious spirit wearing a face mask. The legend reappeared again in the 1970s and spread throughout Japan.

20 people like this.
  3. FlyingLotus

FlyingLotus Well-Known Member

So freaking hot already in LA, i wanna wear jackets dammit

4. el Bert

el Bert Well-Known Member

I thought their Dries section was really good but nothing on sale. Their selection was smaller than usual but if you look at how they run their selection I think it makes sense. They get what they like and that's really how they've done it.

5. Thearkly

Thearkly Well-Known Member

Mesh Mens shirt? Not as in strippers. As in wearing one as normal clothes.

6. e0d9n0b5

e0d9n0b5 Well-Known Member

i bought a mesh tshirt earlier this week.

7. el Bert

[​IMG]

@conceptual 4est

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  8. melonadejello

melonadejello Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  9. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Well-Known Member

That moment when you go to the pub and the dude you thought was a friend actually turns out to be a complete cunt :/

10. nahneun

nahneun Well-Known Member

Man she was prettier before she got more plastic surgery done

11. Dorje

Dorje Well-Known Member

12. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Well-Known Member

Assuming that's to me, no. He got in an argument with a female friend over a joke he misunderstood and started trying to get physically violent with her :|

13. jet

jet Well-Known Member

almost turned my a/c on at lunch, don't know what the fuck is up

14. Naka

Naka Well-Known Member

This is fantastic, thank you.

1 person likes this.
  15. BreezyBirch

BreezyBirch Well-Known Member

Bert stop taunting us!

1 person likes this.
  16. chinesealpha

chinesealpha Well-Known Member

17. Thearkly

Thearkly Well-Known Member

Post a pic?

18. Benesyed

Benesyed Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Looks pretty cool to me. Not exactly the direction I am headed in but if I had tons of cash I would consider this

Runway pic doesnt do it justice as the cool minimalist piece it could be.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. el Bert

Looks cool what is it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.