1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

Not related, but it really bothers me that the content on the right sidebar is either useless or incredibly out of date. Not sure what has to happen to get it to surface interesting and timely content, but ... it should happen.

1 person likes this.
  2. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

the issue with B&S is a consequence of two things - increased traffic and how the new listing system works.

1. lots more people browse and post here, meaning a lot more people are selling stuff. it's hard to stand out and find buyers when there's 50x as many products listed.

2. because of the single-item-per-post thread style (which most people use, intended or not), if you're selling multiple pieces, you have to make a single post. selling a lot of stuff, that's 10 posts... and sales only really happen when you can hold a spot on the first two or three pages. lots of people posting lots of pieces, and stuff gets driven back to the depths of B&S real quickly.

1 person likes this.
  3. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Well-Known Member

yeah, totally agree with this. i think listing something online automatically deducts from its market value too. as a buyer, you have to trust the seller's pics, measurements, assessment of the item's condition when they have a stake in making it sound as pristine as possible. plus, no return policy. judging how a garment will look on you based on little 2d pics and some approximate measurements is impossible. (I almost never buy online anymore and will pay the premium of shopping at a B&M store to handle a piece in person and actually try it on). everything can look right on paper and then you get the piece and it just doesn't work. and then you're stuck with it. that, i think, greatly reduces what you can ask for an item, unless it's super rare and sought after.

1 person likes this.
  4. Biggskip

Biggskip Well-Known Member

Teger, I believe that the second point could be remedied by a much improved searching capability on B&S listings (which would cost Fok & co. $). In theory, that's why you create a single item listing. That way you're able to fill in data fields that make search results better. That said, that would reduce incentive to purchase bumping ability (also costing Fok & co. $). I'm not saying that this is the reason why they don't do this, but I could understand it if the $ was the prohibiting reason.

5. pickpackpockpuck

6. Biggskip

Biggskip Well-Known Member

You're absolutely right in that the risk premium assumed by the buyer is pretty huge and pretty misunderstood by all parties. If you reduce the price on something by enough I would think, thought I've no evidence to back this up, that most (but not all people) would think that they got "such a good deal" that even though it didn't work, it was worth they risk they assumed to see if it would work out. This type of thinking would allow people to take more risks on things (experimenting) and while they'll pay more overall because of items that don't work out, they'll be happier in the long run because of the "accidental discovery" that Fok was talking about last week.

7. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

My W+H x Heritage Research foul weather bomber and ervell pocket sweaters sold very quickly, both for what I feel was a fair price. You just need to sell items that SF hyped a bunch.

2 people like this.
  8. jet

jet Well-Known Member

^this, i can sell my cp gum soles in one day but other stuff which isn't as hyped takes forever to sell

9. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

I dunno, I've had 'hyped' items sit for days, or sell out in 5 minutes. A lot of it is based on time of day/day of the week you post too. I've found that I get much better prices on ebay for shoes than on SF.

10. pickpackpockpuck

haha, i don't know how many times I've seen something get hyped and then i'll see one like a week later in B&S with someone saying how awesome it is but it just didn't fit and i always wonder if it really didn't fit or if it just wasn't that cool when they got their hands on it

1 person likes this.
  11. Severisth

Severisth Well-Known Member

Just sell me all of your Schneider, consolidation complete

12. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

http://www.businessoffashion.com/2013/11/ann-demeulemeester-to-exit-label.html

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  13. sipang

sipang Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

10 people like this.
  14. nahneun

nahneun Well-Known Member

and boom goes the dynamite

15. steveoffice

steveoffice Well-Known Member

wow i wonder who will replace her. if i remember correctly, she wasn't in charge of her menswear?

16. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Well-Known Member

This, sadly. I hate eBay and all of the dangers that come with selling there, but Buy and Sell of today is literally nothing like it was in its heyday 3-4 years ago. I do think it has more to do with the abundance of websites like Gilt, and more reasonable options like H&M/Uniqlo that is driving B&S down. For example, I put up a pair of boots on sale here for $450. Brand new. MSRP is $750. Sought after model. After 2 weeks of not a single offer, not even a lowball, I put them on eBay and they sold at 90% of my "best offer" option in 2 days.

17. nahneun

nahneun Well-Known Member

the average sf b&ser searches for the "best" deal since they're usually younger and not that aflluent. still smh at how ridiculous some of them are. the mentality of "it's worth a shot since i have nothing to lose" is retarded. learn to have some dignity, asshats.

with that said, i've come to appreciate some of the things i was trying to sell, like my damir doma pants. wore them yesterday and they were just fantastic. maybe it's for the best that they never sold. :nodding:

1 person likes this.
  18. el Bert

el Bert Well-Known Member

Gotta go buy all Ann D stuff before if turns up on ln-cc inflated archive sale section.

10 people like this.
  19. conceptual 4est

conceptual 4est Well-Known Member

ANN DEMEULEMEESTER for H&M collection announced

Quote: H&M is proud to announce the collaboration with Belgian designer Ann Demeulemeester's eponymous label. A cult label adored by fashion insiders, the designer has had loyal followers for decades with her consistently beautiful collections that eschew trends for an unchanging romantic look. The collaboration will immerse H&M in the poetic world of Ann Demeulemeester, giving fashion lovers around the world the chance to wear pieces from this fascinating brand. The collection for both women and men will be available from October 11th, 2014 in around 230 H&M stores worldwide, as well as online.

“We are very happy to present this capsule collection of Ann Demeulemeester pieces for H&M, offering a new interpretation of our vision. The artist's struggle has always been at the centre of our creativity, and the collaboration with H&M allows us to bring our beauty to the struggling artist,” managing director Anne Chapelle announced in the official statement.

Ann Demeulemeester is the latest house to collaborate with H&M on an exclusive designer collaboration, following the likes of Versace, Lanvin, and fellow member of the "Antwerp Six", Maison Martin Margiela.

Ann Demeulemeester's collaboration with H&M will be fully in the spirit of the designer's former label, creating a unique fashion experience when the collection reaches stores worldwide next October.
    For more information about Ann Demeulemeester: http://www.anndemeulemeester.be/

Big day for Ann D news...

5 people like this.
  20. steveoffice

steveoffice Well-Known Member

wait you made that up right? RIGHT?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.