1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DesignerValet

DesignerValet Well-Known Member

I think what makes SL so desirable is that exact aesthetic, which (for perhaps good reason) isn't really being done by anyone. It's identifiable, and mostly easy to wear. The womens line is more elaborate (and stunning in person) but incredibly expensive.

The louder pieces are boilerplate Hedi though; his DH collections featured metallic leather and heavy embroidery as well.

2. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

3. dotcomzzz

dotcomzzz Well-Known Member

4. Zeemon

Zeemon Well-Known Member

5. futuresailors

futuresailors Well-Known Member

Someone wants an invite next season.

2 people like this.
  6. KingJulien

KingJulien Well-Known Member

Didn't Doc Martens used to be leather lined? New ones are fabric.

7. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Well-Known Member

I guess I just find it mostly uninteresting. Also, I don't know that I agree entirely with what you said about the louder pieces. I think his stuff used to be more aggressive. DH Luster would be an obvious example. That was loud and shiny. There was a Luster blazer that looks just like current SL, so there are definite similarities and I think your point is valid. But the whole DH look had a hard edge that I think is mostly missing from SL. The chain jeans don't look tough to me. They look cheesy. Seeing them in person only made me feel that more strongly. It's kinda like he jettisoned what I did like about his DH work and kept what I wasn't so into.

2 people like this.
  8. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

new SLP seems like a hodge-podge of expensive "it" items that are glamorized riffs on familiar grunge/rocker stuff with a few outrageous ermine furs or leopard capes thrown in.

I happen to like it :)

9. sipang

sipang Well-Known Member

Cheesy is right, some of that stuff would look right at home on yesstyle, the chain jeans and the hoodies/ sweatshirts with the fucking zippers are total garbage. Most of the rest is just offensively generic and makes COS look like some kind of creative powerhouse.

I can understand the attraction for some of the more outrageous items, the outerwear, the suiting and the boots but ballers on a budget won't touch a cuban heel with a ten-foot pole and can't afford a leather chesterfield so they splurge on laughably shitty sneakers and discounted dumb 1000 $ hoodies with functional zippers like those sold at H&M in 2011.

Also, that varsity looks like shit in every fit so far and it's not because you can somehow fit into a pair of 16cm that you look good in them.

1 person likes this.
  10. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

This is basically it, or Men's 109-2. It just feels late to the party with this aesthetic. But it seems to be selling well so I'm obviously clueless.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  11. colabear

colabear Well-Known Member

I needed this
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  12. KingJulien

Tell us how you really feel!

SL doesn't have any of the classiness that dior had, not very much of it has been appealing to me. DH had a lot of tailored looks made relaxed and casual.

13. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

Dior Homme dressed you like an anime protagonist but SL is like the annoying secondary character that will be killed off midway through the series

11 people like this.
  14. KingJulien

15. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Well-Known Member

This hits the nail on the head for me.

:lol:

This sweatshirt has the single worst use of a zipper I have ever seen in my life:

[​IMG]

Zippers don't stretch, so I'll bet he can't even lift up his arms. What does one make of clothing whose motivation is neither functional nor aesthetic? (Unless someone wants to argue on behalf of the gorgeousness of this thing, that it not only exists in the first place but outweighs the impediment to clean lines and movement by the zipper.) It is pure contrivance, in the most literal way.

16. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

But what if only his shoulders get cold? Then who'll be laughing?

6 people like this.
  17. DividedWay

DividedWay Well-Known Member

Or if his shoulders never get cold, only his arms and torso. Good for two then

1 person likes this.
  18. jet

jet Well-Known Member

I been saying that shit sucks

19. kashmir

kashmir Well-Known Member

apparently they sell, though. maybe it's the upper middle class chinese.

20. drakevu

drakevu Well-Known Member

Moving to Seattle soon. Wonder how people dress over there. Is it possible to wear leather shoes and jacket since it rains 9 out of 12 months?

recommendation for stylish waterproof gear? Been thinking about field jacket/mac. How about shoes?

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.