1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. afixedpoint

afixedpoint Well-Known Member

When I think of the heavyweights in the WAYWT thread, most of these folks post fits consistently in one aesthetic. In some cases, e.g. Regis or mello, their fits consist mostly of a single designer. In my mind, I admire this consistency, and it is probably the result of years of experimentation and evolution of tastes. In practice, I find this extremely difficult to implement. Some days, I feel like wearing a TOJ leather, white tee, denim, and some sneaks. Other days I want to wear a black overcoat with black derbies, also minimalist I suppose. When i feel lazy, I throw on some W+H sweats. And then there are days when I wear a brown herringbone jacket layered under a mountain parka with some Acorn stows.

To move forward, do I need to discipline myself and pick one (or two), or can one improve even with this sometimes confusing range?

2. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Well-Known Member

Your taste will always change and evolve, no matter if you dress in primarly one brand or mix from several.
    And whether you think so or not, I guarantee you will improve just by staying interested [​IMG]
    And look I totally get your question since I've asked myself pretty much the exact same thing atleast a dozen times, but even though I haven't really thought of it that much, I've noticed that I'm narrowing down the range of styles that are my favorites and that will work together step by step (now I just need to get a job so I have some actual money for further development [​IMG])

totally unrelated: my bandwidth speed changed from 8 mb/s to 0,2 mb/s about a week ago which sucked, but then it changed to 25 mb/s this morning [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  3. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Well-Known Member

don't confuse WAYWT props with actual personal style.

(not that dudes that get props on WAYWT don't deserve their props)

2 people like this.
  4. GraphicNovelty

In other news, MFA's best of WAYWT album is worth a look to see what a forum with different aesthetic considerations is doing, even if you don't feel all of it.

5. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Well-Known Member

Haha. I love Queen. "It's Late" is so triumphant. "'39" is a genuinely moving ballad about space travel. Not to mention the hits. Freddie Mercury was so unapologetic about who he was. He was awesome. And the whole band was so good!

1 person likes this.
  6. g transistor

g transistor Well-Known Member

Why do you think this is worth a look?

8 people like this.
  7. jet

jet Well-Known Member

:lol: my thoughts exactly

8. GraphicNovelty

i think it's interesting to see what other internet fashion communities are into, even if they're not totally in line with the interests of people here?

Of course, that would require thinking outside of one's own subjectivity, which, you know, why would you ever want to do that?

After all, everybody knows that people who don't share our tastes and goals are not worth paying attention to.

2 people like this.
  9. g transistor

I was just wondering why you think it's worth it, considering 95% of the photos in the "best of" is pretty standard stuff that we get here, daily even. You post a lot about r/mfa, and I just don't understand why. It's a cool community for people just getting interested in fashion, but like all the specialized subreddits, it's merely skimming the top of really interesting stuff and really offers very little to discuss. What's interesting to you about any of that? Why not post stuff from SuFu or SZ, which are both pretty different from SF looks. And I'm not being trying to be snarky here.

10 people like this.
  10. penanceroyaltea

penanceroyaltea Well-Known Member

uh, i've just looked through it and to be frank, i have to agree with g-trans.. the best looks there, are those already posted here.. most of the rest is just :/ ... it's not so much not wanting to pay attention to a different opinion or outlook, it's just not exactly enlightening/interesting stuff.

edit: oh he already said it.

11. GraphicNovelty

i think there's more to it than just entrylevelism. Like, it's younger and less well moneyed than SW&D, but a lot of the dudes are really thoughtful about fashion/clothing choices. And they're drawing on a lot of the same influences as SW&D, but doing so with more limitations, which I think creates interesting results.

Like, i wouldn't say "hang out on MFA and post there" or "these fits are all stellar", but the album as a product of a different community i think is worth skimming through, especially because it's easily collected in an imgur album, after all, which is more than can be said for browsing huge WAYWT threads with endless bullshitting/back and forth between fits.

Plus there's a level of earnestness on the forum itself that I find kind of charming, and i think it's reflected in the fits.

It's the same reason I like looking at SZ threads even if I think gothninja is silly as shit.

12. KingJulien

KingJulien Well-Known Member

I think users on SuFu do a lot more interesting things on a budget.

13. g transistor

Oh come on, there are best of threads on here and sufu where people have picked through the talk.

I just don't think the Reddit system is too great for producing interesting results. Because of how upvotes work to create visibility, the "safest" stuff generally gets pulled up to the top and upvoted. This of course doesn't mean the fit is bad, only that the "best of album" reflects easy and safer routes because of how varied the Reddit community is. Even the gothy stuff in the imgur album is pretty safe.

I'd be interested in seeing a comparison of MFA demographics and SWD demographics, because I'd say they're not much different. Both here and there people are college or older, and SWD is just conditioned to throw more money at clothing (because we're an enthusiast site, and Reddit is a giant capture net of lots of interests). We all balked at spending $100 for a shirt at one point.

I think a good example is Dishy, who posted/posts on MFA as well as here. If you compare his earlier MFA stuff to the stuff he does now, there's a lot more interesting stuff going on and not just because he's buying "better" brands.

3 people like this.
  14. GraphicNovelty

I guess your definition of interesting and my definition of interesting are different. I agree with you that the fits themselves aren't as "interesting" in the sense that they line up with the SF/SuFu aesthetic criteria, but I think the watered down-ness is in and of itself an interesting outcome that's worth considering, if only as a "product of a community" aspect.

To me, it's like listening to pop music that's poaching EDM tropes. Like, I fuck with burial and shit but i think it's kind of fun when there's a dubstep breakdown in a justin bieber song. Seeing how cultural influences translate to different contexts, that sort of thing.

Also, even best of thread here devolved into pointless bickering.

15. Dbear

Dbear Well-Known Member

wrong thread

16. g transistor

I'll agree with that, I think it boils down to a difference in what is "worth" looking at (and again I want to be clear that I'm not trying to be a dick and downplay MFA). I do occasionally visit MFA to look at fits, since like you said, it is cool to see the product of a community.

17. GraphicNovelty

yeah i guess i should've been more specific about why i was posting it.

18. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Well-Known Member

Who sells Dior shoes (not sneakers), anyone know?

LVR just confirmed they are only carrying sneakers and loafers for FW13. There's no runway stuff in the Dior.com web-store, and the only other retailers I know to try (Matches and Browns) came up empty.

19. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Well-Known Member

colette.fr, I think

20. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

Picture taken from SZ mag party (Paris fashion week), it's funny how easy to spot I am even though you hardly see me (if it was in colour though it would take 1 sec).

[​IMG]

8 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.