• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The fit was fine for me, but I wasn't fan of the fabric on them.

sorry for not using multi quote!!

yeah, for a f/w pant i thought it was pretty light (cotton poplin). it would be interesting to feel the fabric on the ss cotton poplin pants and compare them...

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was driving back to work from lunch and saw a truck next to me with a bumper sticker that read, "Americans don't eat horses!" I immediately looked down to my feet and thought we may not eat them, but we do love to wear them!

(side note - I am an American and I have ate horse on occasion, at a Belgian bar, and I could take it or leave it)

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Finally got to see this in person today (or one of the several that exist I suppose). Say what you will about Hirst, but he's an undeniably good entertainer and entrepreneur.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The suit as we know it today (matching jacket and pants) started out as loungewear. Basically invented so rich English dudes could be comfy smoking pipes and drinking scotch in their country homes. For work in the city, it was a heavier frock coat and contrasting pants. But, the "casual" lounge suit was so loved it eventually became acceptable to wear to the office and became known as the "business suit". I don't think the original suits were all drapey though. Some were form fitting and some were loose. I think Brooks Bros was famous for creating or at least popularizing the "sack suit" around the turn of the century. The sack jacket has no darts so it just sort of hangs in a straight line from the shoulders. Usually paired with stovepipe pants. One of the old MC posters has his own forum Cutter & Tailor that has lots of examples and explanations of old suit tailoring.

It should also be noted that the English and the Italian (and specifically, Neapolitan) jackets are very different. A lot of the traditional English suits (on the Row for example). are built not unlike armor. My favorite is Huntsman, and those jackets have very swelled chests, waist compression, and built up shoulders. The Neapolitan suit is supposed to feel like a second skin, like a nice fitting shirt. I admire the way it looks, but it's not for me.

Maybe it also has to do with lifestyle and psychological outlook. My clothing is like armor, and I like it heavy and tough - leathers that can stand up on their own, heavy jeans, sneakers or boots. Tough jerseys and fleece. The one sports jacket I regularly wear is made by my friend Sidney, and it's made out of 21 ounce cavalry twill, and is highly structured. The only non-denim pants I wear are from Cloak, 2004, and they are wide leg, heavy twill, with hardware.

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there's 6 'zam barrett' threads on the 1st page?!?!?!

Last edited:

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
i only see one

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

...The one sports jacket I regularly wear is made by my friend Sidney, and it's made out of 21 ounce cavalry twill, and is highly structured...

damn. we will all chip in to buy you a kevlar jacket with plate inserts for xmas. opposite santa will be ready to go

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

there's 6 'zam barrett' threads on the 1st page?!?!?!

Yeah, I'm actually finding Xhale irritating this go around.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
he thinks he's some GOTHNINJA GURU now

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They must of gotten deleted. He literally made 5 others like 10 posts down from the one u posted in.

skitlets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I thought this is an interesting article. Posted in MC because perhaps some there (Manton?) can elaborate, verify, or give countering evidence, for the history of the suit ? Well it was interesting to me, in particular the paragraph I've quoted below. I have 1 suit, a single-butting Raf from spring/summer 2008, and I've never worn it. I don't like the concept of fitting the human form much. I prefer that my outfits, uniforms or otherwise, drape gently over my body, not to hide anything but rather I find the concept quite elegant. Anyway, thought I'd share and get your reactions to the article !
Men's clothing
Suitably dressed
The lounge suit, battledress of the world’s businessmen, is 150 years old—possibly
The practice of fitting cloth closely to the human form rather than draping it around the body was new. As fashion historians point out, medieval linen-armourers had long made padded undergarments that fitted beneath suits of armour, reducing a little the discomfort of wearing plates of steel. But the Enlightenment and neoclassicism brought tightly fitted clothing to the surface. In an attempt to emulate Greek statues of naked men, Brummel commissioned figure-hugging trousers and coats. He used plain colours to focus attention on form and line, ushering in what Mr Kelly calls “the tyranny of monochrome”. When the prince regent swapped his flamboyant wardrobe for Brummel’s stripped-down style it spread across London and beyond.

http://www.economist.com/node/17722802

I've had this bookmarked for months. I'll give it a read now. Thanks for the reminder!

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
3hcYw.jpg

Googled Ann D shoes...on the first page, a familiar face appears :laugh:

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

anyone know how garbstore outerwear runs?

I would say that it fits TTS. I recently purchased a coat in size XL and it fits me perfectly. I typically wear w+h tops in size XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads