• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
yo, this is pretty dumb

Originally Posted by Lane
lol, but they do have a superior diet, though. However, this suffers a bit from correlation does not imply causation.

I see the great minds of Style Forum have responded.
lol8[1].gif
If you'd like to understand the mechanism, read the book. geez

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaulYAY
I see the great minds of Style Forum have responded.
lol8[1].gif
If you'd like to understand the mechanism, read the book. geez

Ray Kurzweil is a ******* computer scientist with a sadly misguided understanding of nutrition. His book is terrible and he's an idiot. hopefully you were joking with that quote because it really is a horrible attempt at science. i don't know what the "rate" of lung cancer is, btw. maybe someone can enlighten me here. does he mean rate of progression?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
None of those things cause a direct inhalation of smoke that smells awful and hurts my throat. Not to mention that the pollution caused by those things, while not inconsequential, are nowhere near the effects of second hand smoke.

LOL, stop making **** up. That you are willing to handle smog but feel affected by the smell of cigarettes OUTSIDE means you're either full of **** or have some sort of olfactory defect. You're just looking for a chance to join the common outrage against smokers.

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol8[1].gif
@ Hendrix calling Ray Kurzweil an idiot. Isn't it essentially the same conclusion reached by the China Study?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
Cigarettes are nice when drunk but since i've stopped drinking heavily i've stopped smoking cigs entirely.

I don't think obesity and heavy drinking are cool either. Unfortunately the way the health care system works, we all pay for the problems caused by fat people, alcoholics, and cigarette smokers.

So thanks Obama, thanks a lot (8).

I also switched to a vaporizer for the herbs so i could do more running. My MFLB is in my EDC list lol.

Still addicted to caffeine though
frown.gif

Cigarette smokers go through the same process of deteriorating health and rising costs as other aging people, they just do it earlier putting less of a strain on the system...just sayin.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol, but they do have a superior diet, though. However, this suffers a bit from correlation does not imply causation.

However, I still think anti-smoking regulations are stupid. Especially the ones in NYC which are pretty draconian.

either way..

Smoking to look cool is ******* highschool level ****, I mean wow. I think if you smoke you're a weak douchebag or just did it because your friends got you pressured into it in highschool. Most addicts probably got addicted in highschool which is exactly the age tobacco companies want to get you addicted around since its harder to quit after that long of a period. They pretty much prey on adolescents.

******* quoted for awesome. Where can I purchase Lane's Starting Strength for Brains? What's the proper squat form for the mind?
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dtmt
Actually, there was a study done that found that smokers actually cost the healthcare system *less* since they die rather quickly at a relatively young age.
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Cigarette smokers go through the same process of deteriorating health and rising costs as other aging people, they just do it earlier putting less of a strain on the system...just sayin.
I learned something today Also, just to point out to Lane and others it's not as much about about peer pressure as much as it's it's about a drug that's legal that you can do all the time. (that was a crazy realization--that nicotine felt awesome when you were drunk) And, while I didn't progress past that point of "i only smoke when i drink" because I ceased excessive alcohol consumption after i graduated college, I can imagine it getting to the point where it feels pretty great when sober too.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol8[1].gif
@ Hendrix calling Ray Kurzweil an idiot. Isn't it essentially the same conclusion reached by the China Study?

I have no idea what China Study you're talking about, but:
"Two out of three Japanese men smoke (compared to one out of three American men), yet the rate of lung cancer in Japan is the lowest in the industrialized world! This is a result of the low level of fat in the Japanese diet."
Is not a ******* conclusion. a) I don't know what the "rate" of lung cancer is. As far as i'm aware, there's no such thing as the rate of lung cancer. b) Japanese men: American men are completely different populations with different i) genes ii) diet iii) lifestyle iv) AGE etc etc etc ad nauseum. c) How he's brought low levels of fat in diet into any of this is beyond me. Maybe he really is a 250+ pills a day, wacko genius. And maybe we'll all be immortal by 2035.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Hey I don't mind smoking and I like cigarettes on the regular but if you follow this reasoning to its end you get some pretty ballsy conclusions. "Sleep is lovely, death is better still, not to have been born is of course the miracle." Or something like that. Not that that's a bad viewpoint.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by g transistor
******* quoted for awesome. Where can I purchase Lane's Starting Strength for Brains? What's the proper squat form for the mind?
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif

lol, .I just think a majority of smokers ive encountered took it up for stupid reasons. I know because I use to smoke, but I quit in 3 months cuz I wasn't that dumb.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HOLD UP HOLE UP HOLE UP
trucks and cars and **** have an obvious benefit to society. not to say there's no downside but i think you're less willing to give up your UPS shipments of LN-CC or whatever you're beasting on.

also - 2/3 of japanese men smoke? no way. JTI would be partying if that were true. first off it's closer to 55%. second the number is going down and tobacco aint no growth bitness sun

if you smoke i don't see why you wouldn't at least give quitting a shot.

cr1234

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
I have no idea what China Study you're talking about, but:

Is not a ******* conclusion.

a) I don't know what the "rate" of lung cancer is. As far as i'm aware, there's no such thing as the rate of lung cancer.

b) Japanese men: American men are completely different populations with different i) genes ii) diet iii) lifestyle iv) AGE etc etc etc ad nauseum.

c) How he's brought low levels of fat in diet into any of this is beyond me.

Maybe he really is a 250+ pills a day, wacko genius. And maybe we'll all be immortal by 2035.

De-lurking to call Kurzweil a hack who knows nothing about biology. Also, US cigarettes contain far more carcinogens (2x the NNK) than Japanese cigarettes and most Japanese cigarettes have charcoal filters (which remove things like cyanide and formaldehyde) whereas almost no American cigarettes do.

Also, Americans who quit smoking generally have the same risks of lung cancer as Japanese people who quit. There are also a lot of genetic factors involved. Not to say that people shouldn't eat healthy or that there isn't any link between diet & cancer, but it's not that simple.

To say something clothing related, my MMM gats have a hole in the heel after fewer than 20 wears, not impressed
plain.gif

dwyhajlo

Reaction score
lol, .I just think a majority of smokers ive encountered took it up for stupid reasons. I know because I use to smoke, but I quit in 3 months cuz I wasn't that dumb.

This is some Charlie Sheen-level talk, Lane. I like where this is headed.

Originally Posted by cr1234
De-lurking to call Kurzweil a hack who knows nothing about biology. Also, US cigarettes contain far more carcinogens (2x the NNK) than Japanese cigarettes and most Japanese cigarettes have charcoal filters (which remove things like cyanide and formaldehyde) whereas almost no American cigarettes do.

Also, Americans who quit smoking generally have the same risks of lung cancer as Japanese people who quit. There are also a lot of genetic factors involved. Not to say that people shouldn't eat healthy or that there isn't any link between diet & cancer, but it's not that simple.

Not to mention that you have to take into account pack years or some other way of quantifying the amount smoked.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What's a good reason to you?

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nothing, since its uh..a leading cause of cancer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics