1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

pixar? pixar was world changing?

he was a 'leader' in the home computer revolution in the sense that he was an intelligent businessman at the right time and the right place who knew how to package and sell a product. he's important sure, and he's a key figure within a specific industry, but is one of the most important figures of the past 50 years? definitely not.

for me there's two types of a great people - there's someone like.. darwin or einstein, who developed a radically new understanding of the world that forever altered the way we think, and then there's someone like jobs (or gates) who is moreso a product of his time and circumstances. was he important? yes. did he have a huge impact on the world? sure. but would the personal computing revolution have happened without him? assuredly.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  2. jet

jet Well-Known Member

^he was actually a horrible business man if you know anything about him which it doesn't sound like you do teger, if it wasn't for him you probably wouldn't be typing on a pc right now either

I smell a fucking idiot, the man just died of cancer at 55 have some sympathy.

3. thatguymj

thatguymj Well-Known Member

Of course Jobs changed the world. Love him or hate him, he did. Home computing, Ipod, Pixar were/are all game changers. End of story.

(this coming from someone who isn't an 'apple guy' at all. )

4. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

apple products were game changing in very specific industries and in vary specific ways. without the iphone we'd still have cell phones, without pixar there'd still be CGI movies (and honestly, what percentage of the world has seen a pixar movie?).

5. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

i'm sorry, i don't see it. steve jobs didn't invent the computer, and the growth of personal computing would have happened without him. he influenced the shape that growth took, sure, but pretending that without him our world be an entirely different place is ridiculous. it's sad he died, and i don't know what apple's future is without him (still pretty good probably), and seriously... pixar? what influence has pixar had on your life?

6. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

Yes, I wouldn't have commented if i hadn't seen the collections. Some are more derivative than others. And i agree that not all designers need to be avant-garde or even do anything knew. I own a fair but of Simon spurr and love it. Michael Bastian is a pretty unimaginative designer but i would still wear his stuff for the general quality (at least earlier seasons). Phillip lim is probably the worst of the lot but i'd still wear his shit.
    i do agree here and that was my immediate thought when i viewed it. Still doesn't mean some individual pieces wouldn't be nice, just that the collection as a whole wasn't particularly visionary.

7. zissou

zissou Well-Known Member

Oh, come on. Darwin and Einstein may be household names, but I'm willing to be that 90+% of the world has no idea what either of theories mean. Sometimes I think you're stuck in your tiny world of philosophers, Teger, and then I realize you actually are.

8. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

dude, you know that's a ridiculous argument. you judge someone's importance by how well known they are? by that standard michael jordan, michael jackson and kobe bryant are the most imporant people of the past hundred years.

everyone is right though - i can't imagine a world without pixar..

9. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

i know you were being sarcastic, but a world without pixar would be a very different world. pixar is the biggest reason why the industry pushes cgi movies.

sure shakespeare didn't invent english literature and plays, but to deny that he had a huge impact or was world changing? why do you have to invent something totally original to be game changing?

you think hedi slimane invented the slim silhouette? you think kawakubo, balenciaga, and chanel invented completely new ideas?

wtf? all of pixar films are in the 50 highest grossing films of all time. it's as widely viewed as movies can be.

and why do you have to have invented cgi movies or have caused a radical understanding of the world to be world changing? what he did was radical world changing but it still had a huge impact on the world. look at any of the electronic products offered today and tell me you dont see influences of apple design. the new samsung 9 series? the dell xps series? the samsung phone? that's not world changing?

10. jet

jet Well-Known Member

teger is just mad bc he's never been loved before that's why he's the sour fruit that he is

if you guys don't respond maybe he'll disappear since it's past his bedtime est

11. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Well-Known Member

stop questioning the media I consume and the format in which I consume it!! it's making me uncomfortable and I don't like that!

12. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

no, sorry, in no sense can you convince me that pixar is a world changing institution.

maybe i have a higher standard of 'changing the world.'

someone like... alexander fleming, who invented antibiotics, changed the world.

13. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

don't you have a blurry mirror pick of you in a hanes vneck to post? I really want to hear about all the designer clothing that's just out of view!

1 person likes this.
  14. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

What we can say is that without Steve Jobs, we would have had a much less beautiful and artistic world. And I'm not an Apple nuthugger. I'm talking about things as fundamental as fonts. Without Steve Jobs, we'd very conceivably be typing in a single font.

Steve Jobs, R.I.P.

15. APK

APK Well-Known Member

I was just watching that episode of South Park where Stan turned 10 and became jaded about EVERYTHING and none of his friends wanted to hang around him anymore. I think one of them called him "Teger" at one point.

3 people like this.
  16. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

i'm not denying that science like antibiotics or theory of relativity changed the world, but you're denying that art or literature or design are things that can also change the world. in my mind equally influential and equally capable of changing the world

17. MIKE_JE

MIKE_JE Well-Known Member

Almost all of the world that has access to movie theaters has seen or had an opportunity to see a Pixar movie. But, whatever, that isn't really world changing - but they have won an insane amount of Academy Awards, so it is changing to the world of Motion Pictures.

Your argument is pretty stupid, though. Of course he's not Albert Einstein. But he did change the world in his own way. Just because your idea of what a "world changer" is doesn't fit Steve Jobs, doesn't mean you are right. People are living and functioning differently because of his impact, period. No, people don't understand mathematics differently, and people still go hungry at night, but he did have a measurable impact in his own way.

The computer revolution would have happened without him and Bill Gates, but the way we see computers today and the computers we use would be different. I'm not saying someone else wouldn't have stepped up, but things would be different.

I don't think he is just a product of opportunity. He created Apple and brought it to the forefront, he left and it crashed, and he came back and revived it, brought forth the iPhone, etc. The world of smartphones would be totally different without him today.

Your argument that just because these developments (home computers, smartphones, CG films) would have happened without him, so he isn't world changing, is fucking stupid.

Civil Rights would have eventually happened without MLK to lead the movement, but is he not important in that right? And no, I am not comparing Jobs to MLK, just making a point.

18. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

I agree with this - which is what I've said all along. respect him for what his accomplishments are -- but don't deify him, it does a disservice to the impact he had.

(and it says something that I'm typing this on a macbook after checking my iphone)

19. the shah

the shah Well-Known Member

well, you see, Fleming didn't pursue the biological properties of penicillin after discovering it (innovator), but 4 years later Gerhard Domagk (analogous to Steve Jobs) lead a team to commercialize and sell it and received nobel price 7 years after this. Find something with potential, repackage, rebrand, sell, market, profit. Force your competitors to step their game up, raise the bar in an industry.

Also, it's hard to make an argument that had Darwin not gone, nobody else would have happened upon the islands and realized a certain pattern existed there. I'm fine with the Einstein example but that's the exception not the rule. 99.99% of people are replaceable, you are not looking at this in the correct manner.

20. jet

jet Well-Known Member

I say we all pitch in some cash to get teger laid I got five on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.