1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. ClambakeSkate

ClambakeSkate Well-Known Member

I feel like such a moron when people start talking about wine.

I can only recall 2 instances where I've had truly terrible wine. One was when this only italian samplemaker at one of my old jobs brought in a bottle of his homemade wine. It was awful. And I used to have this tradition when going to DIY hardcore shows to bring cheap champagne whereas everyone else was drinking 40s mostly. I always regretted it halfway through the bottle when the sugar attached itself to the inside of my skull and gave me a horrible headache.

But in reality I've probably had "terrible" wine lots of times.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  2. nahneun

nahneun Well-Known Member

yes, this holds true if you really really expand the sample size, but there are a lot of smaller places that have really good food (but really shitty interiors) with shit yelp reviews because the taste buds of the average yelpers are about as sophisticated as an autistic toddler raised on a diet of mickey d's and snickers bars. they rate on experience, not on food, which, to the average person, are inextricably tied, unfortunately.

3. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Well-Known Member

Re: Paris, if you're interested in contemporary art some of the small private galleries can be very good. In the Marais I recommend Ropac, Chantal Crousel, Yvon Lambert. Perrotin and Air de Paris are also good but further out

4. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Well-Known Member

I'm in charge of our reservations in SF but could have a fair amount of sway with Napa. We're going with my girlfriend's parents, and her mom is more of a traditionalist when it comes to food (so it's italian, traditional American, French or bust), so Quince, Benu and Saison won't make the cut unfortunately. We are going to TFL so I'm chalking that up as a personal success, though I would love to eat at one of the many omakase style sushi joints.

We are staying at Bardessono. I think Auberge lunch is on the list for the view. I will look into Californios and Meadowood. Thank you!

Ps: any good spots to get a drink and smoke cigars in either spot? We're staying at the St. Regis in SF if proximity helps

5. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

Farm at Carneros has an after dinner cigar menu in Napa, but I thought the food was so/so. Octavia, Frances, Monsieur Benjamin, and Spruce would be good for food in SF. Acquellero might be too "foreign". SF has tons of different types of bars depending what you like. For cocktails: Coqueta, Pacific Cocktail Haven (for tropical drinks without going full tiki a la smugglers cove). Also, Trou Normand, Local Edition etc

1 person likes this.
  6. momentoftruth

momentoftruth Well-Known Member

I'm always amazed when I read Yelp at how many reviewers seem to rate the service as much if not more than food. I'm French (+grew up in SE Asia) so I'm genetically conditioned to dgaf about bad service (as long as the food's right), but sometimes I'm puzzled by how average places manage to stay on as "local favorites" despite mediocre output.

7. g transistor

g transistor Well-Known Member

You can't really remove food from the experience, though. I wouldn't rate most restaurants on service, but if I'm paying premium prices, I'd expect premium service. We expect the same from clothing. We don't complain about going to Uniqlo or Gap, but if, for instance, you went into one of the higher end boutiques and it took you 30 minutes for an SA to check you out, you'd be damned sure that affects the establishment no matter how nice the clothes are.

I don't review on Yelp, but I would definitely dock stars or whatever the rating is if I'm at a nice restaurant and the service isn't there.

I personally feel that food is heavily tied to the environment and especially your company. Food, for the most part, is good in most places. But it's the combination of atmosphere, your current mood and feelings, your company, etc etc that makes food really excellent.

If I'm making food recommendations for friends, the first thing I think about is whether or not they'd be comfortable and if they'd like the establishment in the first place, and secondary I think of food.

The absolutely best meal, objectively, hands down, for me was a giant pot of mac and cheese and spam that me and my buds made on a mountainside after a 12 hour hike many years ago. The view was amazing with an impeccable panorama of the blue ridge mountains, the cheese creamy, the spam perfectly smoky and juicy, and I wouldn't trade that meal for a lifetime of free Michelin star meals.

Yes, you can review food on its own merits, but where's the fun in that? I don't think that it really applies to most of the population. This is coming from someone who eats alone pretty often. Reviews of service can be iffy, though, as everyone has their off days. Unless it's a long string of bad service reviews, then it's easy to just ignore the bad reviews.

But then again, some restaurants draw people because the service is aggressive and shitty, thus making it hip and fuckin rad.

1 person likes this.
  8. nicelynice

nicelynice Well-Known Member

My mom dragged me to the Ibex store because there was a cute dog inside and I tried stuff on - man, completely blown away by all the Merino tees and longsleeves! I'm sold. Just threw all my Heattech shirts in the trash and replaced them with Ibex. The cool seamwork even makes them look like some Devoa or something!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  9. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

Tfw when I hear people at multi star Michelin restaurants request gluten free or vegan. Wtf are you even doing there?

1 person likes this.
  10. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Well-Known Member

Or when people order wagyu or dry-aged meat well done... There has to be a cheaper piece of meat on the menu that will taste the exact same after being under flame for that long.

1 person likes this.
  11. double00

double00 Well-Known Member

my uncle has a place on a western facing slope in the shadow of the cascades in central washington. he grows and makes several varieties basically just for himself (at this point anyways) and the pinot is epic.

1 person likes this.
  12. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

Ibex stuff really nice. I got a full merino wool baselayer during this winter and it promptly became 26*C outside. Oh well, excited to have it for next year.

13. nahneun

special flower snowflakes

this is all true and fair, but yelpers expect michelin level service at bodega prices. they also have unsophisticated palates in the first place, so all their yelp reviews just make me want to facepalm. i mean, yelp is a helpful resource, but the average yelpers make me rage. everyone is entitled to their opinion, but i'll be the first to tell you if your opinion is fucking shit!

2 people like this.
  14. momentoftruth

momentoftruth Well-Known Member

or when they put ketchup on it (I know, I know... take it to CE)

1 person likes this.
  15. nahneun

i put ketchup on my steak to make sure my hands look yuge.

1 person likes this.
  16. oulipien

oulipien Well-Known Member

This was years ago but I had an amazing cheese at Quince—it had been wrapped in tobacco leaves. Otherwise it was, I dunno, ok? Shit though I haven't been to any fine dining places in years, coincidentally since my sister stopped working as a chef. How weird.

I had some really amazing omakase sushi in a strip mall in Orange County my last trip back there. It was near a Wienerschnitzel.

BTW for bread I would give the nod to The Mill over Tartine in SF.

1 person likes this.
  17. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Most of the bomb ass sushi in LA is in strip malls.

2 people like this.
  18. oulipien

oulipien Well-Known Member

Yeah I knew that beforehand but that hadn't prepared me for the incongruity in person.

1 person likes this.
  19. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

So, I like rustic food, so take that for what it's worth. I've had good meals at the Bistro Jeanty, which has solid bistro fare, and decent prices. I've stayed quite a few times at Bardessono, starting from when it opened, and while the Italian style restaurant there is quite passable, and I'll eat there with my wife when I don't really feel like going anywhere far, and definitely friendly, I'm mystified that it is getting so many good reviews here. There are tons of restaurants and hotels in Yountville that are considerably nicer, from the "bungalows" at some of the Four Sisters Inns, to some truly ridiculously overwrought spas closer to the middle of town. My wife tells me that the massages are nice, but I never do that stuff.

Seriously, do a bike ride or a long run, or whatever, and then shower and change, and your food will taste that much better.

20. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

As are most good dumplings and non-Cantonese Chinese food.

Most good tacos are from places in East LA with open air seating. And trucks.