1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. John L

John L Well-Known Member

Amish box quilt as liner for that parka if I'm not mistaken.

I had a period of education where I learned of the relevance of the patterns but I can't remember that stuff for the life of me.

Google doesn't help either.

2. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

I love that stuff. The Met has a great book on American quilts and coverlets. Absolutely incredible stuff in there.

I've been really into the idea of lining coats with unusual fabrics. Boro, mud cloth, Islamic textiles, etc. A vintage quit would be cool, but it's too thick. The Raf Simons version would be nice though

Kapital does American-quilt inspired pieces sometimes. The robe coat quoted earlier has a quilted scarf.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  3. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

TL:DR if you consider mass RTW pattern-making a skill I think it's something you should check out, even purely for interest's sake.

The cuts on the denim/pants are superb and the fabrics are great to the touch and really hard wearing. I think particularly in regard to the cut it's the sorta thing you gotta try on to appreciate. I'm not really a big jeans guy and the cut is usually the reason, but these really do work well.

I had sorta thought they were just an expensive mall brand with a kinda douchey cache, but there's some serious work that's gone into the patterns and fabrics they use.

I mean it's not like the actual designs are revolutionary or anything but as far as military-inspired and basics it's very good stuff. I've never really understood the "urbanwear" moniker but I kinda get it here.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  4. nicelynice

nicelynice Well-Known Member

The patterns are great but the branding / details are waay to trashy to consider. The fabrics seem pretty standard, dunno what sets them apart from Diesel or something

5. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

Hence why I ignored them for years. The reality is most of their clothes aren't plastered in logos.

Disagree about the fabrics. Quite significantly better than Diesel et al.

Their women's line is good too.

1 person likes this.
  6. sipang

sipang Well-Known Member

Quite a bit of Helmut in this too, unsurprisingly

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7 people like this.
  7. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

This Queen video reminded me of the SF universe of tastes.

Deacon is the MC casual thread with his fair isle vest, Mercury is the favorite leathers thread, May is channeling SZ gothy vibes, and Taylor looks like a weekly contest gone wrong.

1 person likes this.
  8. oulipien

oulipien Well-Known Member

Random fashion thought:

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  9. oulipien

Oh hey here's an actual random thought, or more of a question, I suppose. See this getup here (from calculus)?

[​IMG]

I have those pants (or similar enough, anyway), and the blazer version of the topcoat. The fabrics don't match (the top is a little speckled, the pants are plain black), and for that matter non-matching blacks for jackets and pants are all over the place, but that's something whose avoidance has been successfully inculcated in me (shouldn't look like you're trying to assemble a suit out of separates, y'know).

Quære, is this something I should just get over? Dude above looks fine to me, but…

10. santaclara

santaclara Well-Known Member

The lowest possible waist it could fit and the max possible waist it could fit with the unstreched waist being somewhere in between. I think my confusion stems from measurements varying 1-4 inches on various sites.

11. the shah

the shah Well-Known Member

i understand your dislike, if they're actually this close but not a set. wouldn't sit well with me either. personally i think that picture is alright but a) i can't see the difference really between texture/pattern of top vs bottom and b) the bottom appears too slim for the long blazer (note that i have massive pants so my perspective is very geometrically skewed in one direction). i'd either go longer coat or shorter blazer here, otherwise larger trousers.

12. the shah

the shah Well-Known Member

Speaking of longer coats ... this season is gonna be so good

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  13. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Well-Known Member

@oulipien

The nonmatching blacks issue/rule wouldn't apply here because this is pretty arte povera

14. baltimoron

baltimoron Well-Known Member

Is there a european equivalent to zenmarket?

15. t3hg0suazn

t3hg0suazn Well-Known Member

More bag advice: functionally I just want something like La Portegna briefcase that can hold 12" laptop, ipad, some papers and folders. But a true briefcase seems a little too CM for my hobo-ness. The small M.A+ accordion bag (the new season version seems more square) seems ideal aesthetically, but there's no zipper or lining which is a huge hassle functionally:

[​IMG]

What are some options in between the two? I know there's Cornelian Taurus, but somehow none of the models really catch my eye design wise (I also don't like the studs on the bottom).

16. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

I just want a really plain denim baseball hat w/ a leather clapse at the back. ANy recs?

17. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

This Margiela is on sale at Saks. $800 ish, but it's final sale. No studs on the bottom, slightly briefcase-y, but also casual. http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main...A350A8AC52&Ntt=margiela+bag&N=0&bmUID=lEN09KL [​IMG] I was also at Tailor's Keep in San Francisco a few weeks ago. The guy there knows a woman in San Diego who can make custom bags. Slightly more workwear-y in sensibility, but the samples seemed nice and the prices weren't too bad. Only thing is that the seams were basically inverted (so, she sewed the leather together, then turned the leather inside out). I emailed him to ask if she could skive the edges on a custom bag, so the seams would sit flatter against each other, but haven't heard back yet.

1 person likes this.
  18. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

I have a similar Margiela bag in pebbled dark navy that I don't use much anymore (partially because Ms CWI is not a fan). :eek: It's pretty decent, especially if if you paid less than retail.

Isaac Reina used to make cool bags but I haven't seen any stockists carrying any for a year+

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  19. nicelynice

nicelynice Well-Known Member

20. oulipien

Shit, I know a woman in Oakland who can make custom bags. Steps away from West Oakland bart!

1 person likes this.