1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Well-Known Member

Does anybody know a way to identify retailers on Far Fetch? You used to be able to see it marked clearly, then you could still see it if you hovered on the address bar and now I can't find a way to find out unless you purchase.

2. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

Any good umbrella that is nice looking with equal utility that will not break the bank?

3. happyriverz

happyriverz Well-Known Member

Does anyone who who stocks Siki Im? It looks like the label produces a collection every season, but I cannot find a stockist

4. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

Long or collapsible?

5. metranger8694

metranger8694 Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  6. msg

msg Well-Known Member

Sometimes you can figure it out from Google/Bing by searching Farfetch for the item and it'll show the store name in search results

7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

You can still find those - there is just no direct link from the product. Just google "Farfetch [storename]". Here is what you get from googling "Farfetch l'eclaireur", for example: https://www.farfetch.com/shopping/men/leclaireur/items.aspx

8. il_colonnello

il_colonnello Well-Known Member

I don't think he means that. That approach can work if you know the store name and want to know what they have.

@OccultaVexillum I assume you mean identifying the seller for a given item you're looking at on Farfetch? I don't think there is a certain way of knowing this any more, but if you put the item in your shopping cart, in checkout they will at least tell you what country it ships from. It's still a needle in a haystack though.

As somebody recently pointed out here or in another thread, the sales prices when buying directly from the underlying stores are often lower by a fair bit, so I can see why Farfetch no longer divulges that information. They were basically doing all the marketing work, and then got nothing when people bought directly from the respective store.

9. LA Guy

Quote:I know what he meant, but I don't know a way to do that directly. However, if you know your product reasonably well, unless it's something super common, in which case, Farfetch is usually not the best bet anyway, and you know the country it's being shipped from, it's typically not that hard to triangulate to the write store within a couple of google searches. I've found the opposite re. prices, incidentally. Often, on the store site, the item is still at retail or slightly below, while the sale price on Farfetch is often much lower. Or the price (say, at Library, London) is simply lower on Farfetch than on the retailer site. Plus all duties are already taken care of, and shipping is often more reliable.

10. LA Guy

Quote:Tell us what it is, and we'll have about a 50% chance or more depending on the item, of triangulating to it for you. Also, people, don't be afraid of page 5,6,20, of google. I've read that no one except for people like me, who do a lot of searching for specific things, ever get to those pages (I go to page 50, routinely). They are goldmines. You have to remember that the top results are not always the best results, they just have the best SEO practices, and boutiques often suck at those.

4 people like this.
  11. dieworkwear

Hm, I sold a $500 coat on eBay at the end of November. Buyer contacted me in January and said he hadn't received it yet. I checked the tracking and it indeed seems to have no update after December 8th or so, which is about a week after I shipped.

I ended up calling the Post Offices in his area a bunch, but nobody has been able to track it down.

Buyer seemed a bit laissez faire, which I chalked up to him being patient and nice. Ended up refunding him yesterday cause it's been over two months now and the package hasn't shown up.

Then I checked my eBay dashboard today and it looks like one of the items I bought around Christmas also shows up as un-delivered, even though I received it. Maybe the Post Office people just aren't updating the packages around that time cause they were flooded?

Kind of hope that I didn't just get ripped off. $500 isn't that big of a deal, but it's enough to be annoyed if I actually got scammed.

12. il_colonnello

I have seen situations like that as well, but I think sometimes stores won't discount prices as much as on their own sites because they want to (or maybe even have to, contractually?) participate in Farfetch's promo codes, and they don't want the Farfetch code to push the effective price to less than what they would get selling directly. E.g. there is still a Raf Simons coat from last spring on Farfetch for >1,000 € which is available on the retailer site for 800, presumably so even the most generous code (30 per cent) stacked on top of the Farfetch price won't make them less profit (or more loss) than if they sold directly.

yeah, this

13. double00

double00 Well-Known Member

i insure most anything over 250 and usually sig confirmation besides. haven't had any problems. i also routinely check up on tracking status as i don't consider my end done until it shows delivered. $.02.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  14. il_colonnello

I bought two umbrellas by Mario Talarico last year on a trip to Naples (1 long, 1 collapsible) and highly recommend them. They don't seem to be available online directly from the maker, but some online retailers (e.g. NMWA and KA Hanger Project) have them.

There's also a store here with prices in sterling, maybe a good option with the pound in decline:

http://www.exquisitetrimmings.com/products/Designer/Mario-Talarico/

15. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Well-Known Member

I got this Fox Umbrella from Oi polloi, its nice.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  16. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

I was leaning towards collapsible. I mainly need it for emergencies when it happens to be pouring from my office to the parking lot and no rain wear. I did take a look at NMWA, would be nice but out of my price range. I'll take a look at Fox.Ty!

17. dieworkwear

There's a low upper limit on how nice a telescopic umbrella can be. Most manufacturers nowadays source the same materials, so it just comes down to having a special wood for the handle or whatever. Some use German metal ribs; some Chinese. But all of the non-obviously-crappy ones seem the same to me.

Some options:

London Undercover. Kind of a hip brand. Mostly sells on the strength of their creative canopies, which are aimed at younger fashion customers.

Fox Umbrellas. One of the few factories left in the UK (some of the heritage brands there have things made in Italy now). If you buy, check with The Armoury. IMO, you can sometimes get better service, and they'll handle any customs and shipping issues.

James Smith. Another big UK heritage name.

Ortel. German made, IIRC. More for business-y CM outfits. Black isn't a very exciting color, but it's super useful. I have a dotted green telescopic Talarico umbrella and have been wanting to get a black Ortel one instead. Only cause it's more conservative and versatile. Really nice handles on these.

Davek. They'll replace lost umbrellas for a small fee. I think some models even have a tracking device. Kind of tech-y.

Shedrain. Not pretty, but cheap and reasonably well built. Canopies have a vent to help prevent them from inverting during a big gust of wind. Really useful on collapsible umbrellas, and not available on even some of the pricier models.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  18. Baron

Baron Well-Known Member

Kent Wang has some nice looking umbrella, both stick and collapsible.

19. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Well-Known Member

@LA Guy @il_colonnello
    Thanks, I'm trying to find the seller of this Lemaire jacket:
    https://www.farfetch.com/shopping/m...05.aspx?storeid=9499&from=1&ffref=lp_pic_1_6_

Finding a cheaper price isn't the issue, they just don't have my size and I haven't seen it anywhere else. So I'm trying to find out if it's an older season or whatever so I can try and track down my size.
    I'm also pretty aware of all the Lemaire stockists outside of Japan and couldn't find it in my bookmarks. But there is a shop in Poland (I think) that only lists through far fetch but I can't remember the name for the life of me.

EDIT: Ok so they offer same day delivery in New York for this piece, so I would think it's Atelier NY but they don't have it listed online...

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  20. il_colonnello

^Yeah, Vitkac, in Warsaw. They have their own online store as well:

www.vitkac.com

(I have ordered from them directly once or twice.)

1 person likes this.