1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. penanceroyaltea

penanceroyaltea Well-Known Member

E tautz's oversized look is always cool but I always get the feeling it only works on stick thin models

2 people like this.
  2. metranger8694

metranger8694 Well-Known Member

Where'd you see them.

Only Budapester's I've seen are Vass.

3. dotcomzzz

dotcomzzz Well-Known Member

Well, Stone, but yeah. I love them. Long inseam, medium taper, plus the rise as mentioned. They come out in different washes/fabrics throughout the year but these are the ones that resemble raw denim the most:

http://www.kapital.jp/e-store/detail.php?id=SLP021SLP021-2&key=5672&category=57

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  4. Spehsmonkey

Spehsmonkey Well-Known Member

Did you have to size up? I'm usually a 31-32 in most brands, but I seem to remember hearing suggestions to size up in Kapital denim.

5. penanceroyaltea

Those are the junya x Heinrich dinkelacker collab for fw16.. Weirder looking than the vass budapesters.

6. ManofKent

ManofKent Well-Known Member

I find most Kapital legwear is slightly under the tagged size. The measurements on Kapital.jp are generally very accurate.

1 person likes this.
  7. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Well-Known Member

Man, really want to try out full cut trousers like the creams ones in this pic, but my trackrecord has been abysmal...I just cant make them work for me

[​IMG]

8. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

Elizabeth Suzann wrote an interesting blog post recently on price transparency -- how much it really costs to make one of her clothing items.

https://elizabethsuzann.com/blogs/stories/money-talk

Amazing how problematic this topic can get, even with the kind of openness, honesty, and sophistication she put into this essay. It's so much better than the dumb Everlane story. Infographics that talk just about raw materials and manufacturing, then blame all mark-ups on middlemen.

At the same time, she still kind of falls back on this ethics angle (e.g. we're ethical producers), which doesn't feel like the whole story. She faults cheap, fast-fashion producers for exploiting third-world countries (counter argument could be that those companies also help lift millions and millions of people out of poverty and help starts the engines of industrialization). And she neglects to talk about simple efficiency gains and scale. I mean, some companies are just more efficient, and have returns to scale, which is what makes the Everlane marketing pitch so frustrating.

It's also hard not to see that, on the upper end, fashion prices have sky rocketed over the years. Suzann points out to how the price of jeans have dropped since the '90s -- people used to pay $100 for a pair, but now you can find them for $10. At the same time, what about how every day, democratic clothing has become the new norm for luxury? Like, Givenchy has $700 t-shirts right now. Vetements was/ is selling $1,000+ jeans. Nigel Cabourn had a $500 sweatshirt last season. Common Projects made an entire business off plain white sneakers. The stuff that went into dressing actors in The Outsiders (the movie) is now the new basic-guy luxury uniform.

Anyway, still a cool article, and nice to see someone put forward something a bit more sophisticated on this price transparency topic. Also a good bit at the end on how we should think about value. Raked has a follow-up interview.

http://www.racked.com/2017/1/6/14157836/elizabeth-suzann-money-talk

5 people like this.
  9. dotcomzzz

dotcomzzz Well-Known Member

Those indigos run true to size. The other washes and whatnot typically run small. But check the measurements, they're listed with the jeans.

1 person likes this.
  10. max_r

max_r Well-Known Member

That's odd. I ordered some pants from Zam Barrett, and usps shipped them from New York to London, then back to New York for some reason.

[​IMG]

11. Gruff

Gruff Well-Known Member

Great article, thanks for posting this.

I particularly like her distinction between "how much value will this add to my life" versus "how much did it cost to produce?" Taking that approach has some pretty profound implications for consumption habits and patterns.

12. happyriverz

happyriverz Well-Known Member

I think anyone who's in reasonably decent shape (certainly not stick thin models) looks good in oversized looks, provided that it's clear that it's an intentional styling choice, as opposed to just buying the wrong size.

As an aside, the new FW17 E. Tautz collection is great -- very reminiscent of vintage Armani soft tailoring.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  13. penanceroyaltea

Well, it's still not for mere mortals like myself... I think you probably have to actually be a cool dude to rock it well.. or a stick thin model. [​IMG]

14. planetarium

planetarium Well-Known Member

I have two, one in katsuragi cotton and one in melton wool. The melton wool is fine with layers in freezing temps. Cotton is for when it's not as cold out, but you want to feel cozy as heck. I wear it to the movies and wrap myself up in the dark :3

Size your ring coat based on height; it will always fit your other measurements and you can cinch various parts of it to your liking.

1 person likes this.
  15. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

Anyone got recs for a chunky shawl collard cardigan for under $100? Uniqlo didn't do one this season and they are usually my go to.

16. NaTionS

NaTionS Well-Known Member

Maybe COS/Jcrew/Club Monaco/etc on sale

17. CBrown85

CBrown85 Well-Known Member

I haven't tried it, but the Abercrombie (ugh) actually has one that looks decent and is like 50% off right now.

18. nahneun

nahneun Well-Known Member

ftfy

19. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

20. John L

John L Well-Known Member

its almost as if aaron levine is good at his job

3 people like this.