1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. MickeyPunch

MickeyPunch Well-Known Member

Do you guys have any unworn items laying around because you don't really like them and you're too lazy/wary to try to sell or you think you might change your mind in the future?

I have never worn these despite having them for months if not years:

- Acne garret coat
    - IE pants
    - EG bedford
    - HM x MMM sidezips

So much money wasted.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  2. spacepope

spacepope Well-Known Member

3. arnoldpettibone

arnoldpettibone Well-Known Member

*reneges after offer accepted*

1 person likes this.
  4. King Calder

King Calder Well-Known Member

Sorry about your back cyc. I herniated a disc back in May, didn't figure it out until August. I would get an MRI if it doesn't heal in a week or two (if that's an option) and consider PT, or at least doing core work. I've been doing PT for a couple months now and it's helped a lot. Take it easy, take some Advil, and don't deadlift once the sciatica goes away.

5. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

I need to get more shoes that are in a wide size. New Balance wide 2E works and so does Alden Barrie last. But any fashion / lifestyle brands that come in wide sizes or just shoes that fit pretty darn wide?

I really need to get some new shoes but choices are limited and these neon red/white/blue NBs clash with everything (but are mad comfortable and healed me up, can't complain)

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

The SF market is on Big Commerce, and doesn't really lend itself to a multiseller user, the way B&S does. We are exploring a number of options. Frankly, right now, our options are limited if we stick with the forum software, but we've had multiple offers from entrepreneurs to build out a peer-to-peer selling platform, for a share of the potential revenues, of course...

7. LA Guy

1) Deadlifts are the second most stupid exercise. I know zero people who deadlift who have not messed themselves up seriously. The most stupid exercise, of course, are "Good mornings". Where you essentiall deadlift, but with an increased potential of injury with none of the benefits for increased strength.

1 person likes this.
  8. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

I like deadlifts because of that reason... It has at least forced me to maintain healthy hips, back, and knees. Otherwise I'm gonna mess my shit up doing it. There's probably 2 guys in my gym that can deadlift properly out of the 30 regulars.

Anyways, wide shoes.. help a club foot mang out.

9. baltimoron

baltimoron Well-Known Member

weren't there explorations into being able to add a designer filter or size filter for the existing framework? Did those never come to pass?

10. APK

APK Well-Known Member

Deadlifts are a stupid exercise only because so many people have dog-shit form.

I used to have lower back issues that would occasionally get triggered by deads. But it was really a combination of bad form and tight hips (from sitting too much Styleforuming). I've worked a lot on improving hip mobility and cleaning up DL form, and am subsequently moving more weight than I have in years with no back issues.

11. APK

APK Well-Known Member

Also, with regards to selling stuff, I suspect the financial situation of the average SW&D-leaning person isn't anywhere close to that of the CM side. If I remember correctly, Fok has stated that the CM side of the B&S forum does quite well, which makes sense, since there are fewer Ballin' on a Budget dudes trying to assemble a high-end wardrobe for a grand total of $28.

12. MickeyPunch

MickeyPunch Well-Known Member

Not your size, I'd say (3).

13. LA Guy

So, the above is precisely the problem with deadlifts. In order to NOT get injured, you need to have 1) Perfect form, 2) Flexible hips, good back, good knees. They are an accident waiting to happen.

That is a high bar to clear to merely not get injured. There are tons of things that you can do to to maintain health and/or build strength and even very function specific strength for which you do not run a very real risk of injury. I mean, do what you will, but at least don't fool yourself into thinking that they are a safe exercise.

1 person likes this.
  14. skeen7908

skeen7908 Well-Known Member

Speaking of grailed low ballers I have just had the opposite problem

Listed an item for $1200

Within 5 minutes received a message from an account with 0 feedback and no items in wardrobe, with a woman's name

Is this item still available for sale? Please answer me directly to my email address, I need more information about this item so I can make the payment today, so I need you answer me now on this email: (carolinaxxxxxxx@gmail.com) I wait for your quick response

Weird but perhaps wants to avoid the grailed fees so I replied via my email

Then got this

I will offer you $1300 for this item including shipment cost if my offer is accepted send me your paypal account details name and email address of your paypal so that i can make the payment right now thanks

Now the grailed account is banned (perhaps for trying to go off grailed?)

What's their plan here ?

Overpay for my item --> ??? ---> profit

15. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Well-Known Member

It's a scam bot. I've had that same message every time I've listed something on the last 6 months. Always a different name always with zero feedback.

16. LA Guy

It's probably not going to happen. Not what we want, but the company that owns the software acquired it from the original company, and don't know exactly what they want to do with it, and so don't really want to commit a lot of development resources to it. We don't have the resources and clout to leverage this into happening. That said, we are looking into other possible solutions. Welcome to the real world of tech.

17. skeen7908

skeen7908 Well-Known Member

How do they expect to profit from this ?

Paypal will look at their purchase history (nothing, or a whole list of disputes) and I will have shipment tracking they will side with me ?

I'm tempted to let it run to see what they try

18. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

To play it safe, I just don't exercise at all.

11 people like this.
  19. t3hg0suazn

t3hg0suazn Well-Known Member

Are you looking for sneakers or shoes or boots?

For sneakers MMM, Lanvin, RO are pretty good.

For shoes/boots, depends what you're going for. Most of the arte povera brands (a1923, layer0, carpe diem, petrosolaum, perhaps not guidi) are quite roomy. At a lower price point, Marsell are good for wide feet and go on sale often. Again, MMM side zips / oxfords are pretty roomy. If you want more traditional derbies, off the top of my head I can think of Raf Simons derbies (harder to find now), Church's, maybe Cheaney or Loake.

Just my 2c, probably omitted a bunch but those are what I have experience with.

20. habitant

habitant Well-Known Member

Your loss probably.