1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

SZ is ultimately Eugene's brand plus other things he seems cool or acceptable. Styleforum is like a big outdoor market plus down square. I run the place, and even bring a few things to sell, but ultimately, the richness contra from the diverse community.

2. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Well-Known Member

It's an interesting read, he spends a lot of time trying to draw similarities with what he does to what Rick does, which all rings a little false.

3. hayaoyamaneko

hayaoyamaneko Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Think about it

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. oulipien

oulipien Well-Known Member

"I don't see race" oh Marc, I know you mean well, but that's just a non-starter.

2 people like this.
  5. LA Guy

More than a little false. If anything, what they do are polar opposites. Rick is an agent provocateur. Eugene is the keeper of an orthodoxy, thus the frequent purges, and the very strong emphasis on what is worthy and what is not.

6. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Well-Known Member

I was trying to be polite! [​IMG]

7. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

Wore my Jil metallic cardigan for the first time in forever. Feels good man.

4 people like this.
  8. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

I prefer the diverse community.

yea he tries and i agree false

9. LA Guy

I try stuff like that occasionally, but look in the mirror, and think that I look like I am about to go to a Scissor Scissors concert, and I promptly change.

1 person likes this.
  10. LA Guy

From what I know about Eugene, it would be hard for him to be a self-aware, circumspect, person. I think that the litmus test for self-awareness (and true humor) is to be able to look into the mirror and laugh at yourself. Because, c'mon, most of us do stupid shit regularly. Or at least, I do. And it takes some degree of self-confidence to laugh at oneself. I don't see any of that in any of Eugene's writing or in anything I've heard about him. Instead, and including in this interview, I hear a lot of lack of confidence and subtle or not so subtle signalling. Things like "What more could I want, a Soho Loft?" (paraphrasing here) does not strike me as someone who really doesn't want a Soho loft would bring up.

Anyway, that is just from reading his stuff and very limited brush ins with him at a couple of tradeshows.

11. javy

javy Well-Known Member

ugh, why did you have to remind me... I finally bought one recently (bnwt!) off some dude on grailed, but he turned out to be a scammer (he sold a bunch of items all at once and then never shipped any of them). Luckily, I got paypal to force a refund. One day I'll get this cardigan....

12. the shah

the shah Well-Known Member

13. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

Not sure I understand that article.

1. The old fashion cycle is continuing as it always has, it's just that some collections are now going directly to the floor after being on the runway. This feels more like it's about shifting the whole production cycle back, rather than forward. So you still have design -> prototype -> production, but now it's just that runways happen after production, instead of between prototype and production, no? Everything else still happens, it's just that they get pushed back earlier on the calendar.

In that sense, editors get involved at the earlier prototype stage, rather than the runway stage. As the article notes at the end, they'll just have to come up with strict NDAs (which might mean a consolidation to the old model, where you have a smaller circle of media insiders, rather than this last decade of expanding the circle and allowing no-name bloggers into fashion shows).

The fact that you're still bringing those editors and writers in at the pre-production stage demonstrates that they're important.

2. It's true that brands can more directly reach their customers nowadays through social media, but I don't know why that necessarily means fashion media is now irrelevant. Communicating a brand's story or image is still really powerful, and the explosion of blogs in the last ten years (IMO) demonstrate that people want relatable copy and, for lack of a better term, authenticity. The problem with the old media model is that everything was so obviously advertorial and out of touch with normal people's consumption habits. So some GQ spread would show some Canai suit for $5,000 or whatever. Blogs and IG accounts have become a lot more about aspirational consumption in the last few years, but it's still so much better than the old media environment (a little more relevant, a little more authentic).

If you buy that story line, then why would anyone substitute all of their fashion media consumption for an even worse version of the old media model? That is, straight up direct marketing from the brand? It's cool that a brand can communicate their message, but it feels better if someone you personally connect to says "this is really great," no? I mean, people will buy stuff here because certain members they like wear it/ endorse it. It's just a more trusted source.

3. The story in that article is still about how brands engage with their current customers, but nothing about how to bring in new ones. That seems like where fashion media would play a role. Paid ads seem less and less important nowadays, at least for small to medium sized firms (probably still matters for big firms like Gucci). But for a small to medium sized company, taking out 3 months worth of ads in GQ probably won't make as big of a difference as getting a lot of social media influencers to endorse your product.

4. Article seems to conflate fashion editor with bloggers with influencers, when they're kind of different groups with some overlapping areas. The broadest idea here (that "influencer marketing" is going to matter less in the future) is weird given that the biggest change in this past year in men's fashion has been pushed by Kanye West, arguably the biggest single "influencer" right now.

2 people like this.
  14. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  15. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Well-Known Member

I'm generally a chouinard fan (and i haven't finished the NYer article) but I read "Let My People Go Surfing" and a lot of their "we're so different!" philosophy to me sounds a lot like every other business 101 think outside the box paradigm shift gamechangey bullshit.

With some exceptions--they were really early on paid maternity leave and childcare etc. But like the "don't buy this jacket" campaign? THEY STILL WANTED YOU TO BUY THE JACKET.

16. penanceroyaltea

penanceroyaltea Well-Known Member

Anyone handled stuff by this brand Trove before? Gives me a schneider + nonnative kind of feel. Seems quite reasonably priced. I was just browsing their zozo shop.
    http://shop.trove.co.jp/style_photo/ Some really nice looks for aw16.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  17. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Well-Known Member

I want some of this Supreme x UC stuff, are bots worth it? Resale will be undoubtedly ridiculous and I'd prefer to just pay a fee to have somebody's bot buy it.
    Are they reliable and worth it?

EDIT: Actually nvm.

18. penanceroyaltea

penanceroyaltea Well-Known Member

I saw some of it on Insta. I think the t shirts are pretty cool. Do u think buying it online without a bot is impossible?

19. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Well-Known Member

No idea tbh, I've never really bought supreme but the impression I get nowadays is that you have little chance especially the collabs.
    Looking on my phone the bomber and coat looked good but after seeing the full product photos on my laptop the coat sucks and the bomber is reversible, with one side being mildly interesting and the other side being terrible.

20. cocostella

cocostella Well-Known Member

@dieworkwear
    Enjoyed your last post. Thanks for exerting the effort.

1 person likes this.