1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Well-Known Member

Lightweight (lamb or the like) suede jackets would be perfect for Caribbean winters. I just got a suede jacket in that would not be too heavy or hot to wear in the fall or spring up north, so I figure they'd be fine in the winter down south

2. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

I was eyeballing that too. But the big sleeve cuffs kill it for me. I think I'd rather have a true trucker design. But, the 5-zip version is really the nice one. I missed out on it last year and it's the only thing on my "want list" right now.

Surely there are a few nights you can were a light suede jacket in the tropics. ?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  3. leeba

leeba Well-Known Member

5-zip version is actually fairly hefty in person, it's padded and pretty stiff (or at least more than I expected)

1 person likes this.
  4. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

Where to kop sherpa (shearling too baller) lined rancher coat? Wear over tee with jeans and boots all "winter".

5. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

crap. that sucks. I was hoping it was lightweight.

6. baltimoron

baltimoron Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

OG is nice and lightweight

1 person likes this.
  7. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

8. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Well-Known Member

Yeah the 5Zip is a beaut, but I felt like it would be too heavy for even my 50 degree "winters". So far I've been going well with my light wool jackets and have sworn off leather jackets, but I cant deny how nice suede looks and feels

Yeah I was just about to say this in a reply to Krish, I am worried that it will have the same weight as the 5Zip. Only one way to find out I guess

9. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Well-Known Member

On the topic of 5Zips how easy is it to get the lining replaced on a 5Zip? The silk (I think) lining of my wool 5Zip is beat to shit, I was thinking about maybe ordering some goofy looking Margiela jacket that is 90% off somewhere and have a tailor replace the lining using that jackets lining. Possible?

10. dieworkwear

Dont see why it would be diff than relining any other jacket.

1 person likes this.
  11. conqueror

conqueror Well-Known Member

does anyone own the orslow 107s? tossing up between them and JBJ high tapers.

12. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Well-Known Member

It should be super easy to replace the lining of your jacket, and honestly if you went to the right tailor for it you could probably get a better/more breathable lining put in.

I say if the store has a return policy, you have nothing to lose trying the jacket. Might be exactly the right weight and be significantly lighter than the suede 5 zip. The suede RLPL bomber that I posted about a week or so ago was what I got to wear for midwest spring and fall, and it's the perfect weight to wear between mid to low 70s and the low 50s, even unlined and in a thin skin. It would be perfect for a Caribbean winter:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If only it wasn't 88 degrees in a balmy sun right now

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  13. bows1

bows1 Well-Known Member

Anyone got a really good leather guy in NYC? I want to add a zipper to some cuffs, and taper the sleeves just a bit.

14. tgaith77

tgaith77 Well-Known Member

2 people like this.
  15. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial

Damn, am I following this right?

Jcrew menswear lead Frank Muytjens uses RW pants in a styling shoot (with RW blessing), then goes on to release a series of patchwork garments eerily similar to RW? Single pair of patched jeans is one thing, a whole collection is another.

1 person likes this.
  16. tgaith77

tgaith77 Well-Known Member

It wouldn't be the first time J Crew has been accused of ripping off ideas.

Although it would be hard to prove that here (especially since J Crew has done paint-splattered/ patchwork stuff before RW was even around), the fact that they recently collaborated with RW makes this super sketchy. Hartley is right to be pissed.

17. dieworkwear

Patchwork is a super old idea though, no? Junya, CDG, Kapital, and Ralph Lauren have been doing their own riffs on that for years. I get that they collaborated, but the idea isn't exactly new.

2 people like this.
  18. dieworkwear

The other way to look at this is: Frank plucked an idea that has been hot for the last couple of years, didn't have something readily available from J. Crew for a shoot yet, and contacted someone who does (so he could do the shoot). Rare Weaves does some of the best ones, so they seem like they'd be a natural choice. Whether he was going to get something for that shoot, or choose RW or not, was independent from whether he would come out with patchwork jeans.

Boro, and shabby chic as a broader concept, seems like a really old theme in fashion. RRL did patchwork clothes back in the 90s. I assume other people before that. The idea of upcycling has become popular again, so it just seems natural that it would eventually trickle into a high street store. J Crew is often one of the first adopters in that sort of tier.

I don't know, claiming that J. Crew stole this idea that's been around forever -- and is itself stolen from hippies and farmers -- seems like a stretch. But I also don't know the whole story.

5 people like this.
  19. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

On a semi related note, Readymade so hype right now.

20. Baron

Baron Well-Known Member

Seems more like he's pissed that the collection looks so specifically like RW pieces that they borrowed (free of charge he says). Also seems like he thinks they should have done a collab with him instead.