1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. Phrost

Phrost Well-Known Member

I haven't spent that much on repairing my favorite pair of $25 Uniqlo jeans, but at least twice over. Three of my jeans that I rotate are in need of repair again :mad:

I'm guessing you get them patched with old pieces of denim at the tailor like I do?

Anyone have experience having their jeans darned by guys like Self Edge? I always thought that $40 to get jeans repaired was too much, but it's worth it if it really lasts.

Another topic...

IMO, Raf has fallen off so much since his heyday. His last great collection for his namesake brand was FW 06. After that, he began to focus on his futuristic vision, which is not aesthetically pleasing to me.

There's no doubt that his current aesthetic has influenced a new generation of designers, like Siki Im and Peir Wu, but I guess his current direction is just not my thing.

I always got the feeling that he had a very good sense of proportions and designed to make a visual impact, but I never thought he had a good sense for textiles and fabrics.

From the stuff that I owned and seen, his fabrics were foremost chosen for color and texture and to make a visual impact, rather than for quality, comfort or durability.

Really, I just wish Helmut Lang came back in the picture.

If Raf is looking for an aesthetic for Calvin Klein, he could do much worse than follow the Helmut Lang playbook.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  2. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

I use Denim Therapy and like them. Used SE once and they didn't back the repair area with reinforcement, which meant new holes showed up six months later. Maybe it was just that repair job though (they may back other jobs, I don't know).

As you prob know, SE only takes walk-ins (no mail ins). And the woman who used to do their repairs recently started her own repair business, Indigo Proof.

Denim Therapy takes mail-ins and backs repairs with a strong fabric. Denim Surgeon does the same and I think they finish their fabrics with an overlock stitch, so that it doesn't unravel (although, my Denim Therapy repairs never have). A nice finishing touch.

Definitely recommended. My darned jeans last so much longer. Wearing a pair of recently repaired Stevenson jeans right now, actually.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  3. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

that is literally how i found him at a bar.

4. notwithit

notwithit Well-Known Member

@Phrost I've used Denim Doctors and SE and was happy with both. I'll check to see whether the SE repair is backed. I also just sent a pair to Railcar Fine Goods. I'll report on them when i get them back.

In other news, I'm about to run home in the rain wearing flyknits. God help me.

5. basil rathbone

basil rathbone Well-Known Member

Dutil Denim in Vancouver/Toronto will do repairs. Chain-stitch too. Haven't used them, but probably gonna bring in a couple of pairs soon and will report back. Local only I think.

6. John-Galt

John-Galt Well-Known Member

May the HTM gods reveal their grace

7. baltimoron

baltimoron Well-Known Member

2 people like this.
  8. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

X garden, nonetheless.

It sounds like a swingers party.

9. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Well-Known Member

At least it's not unpopular.

10. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

So which of those three words did you use to find that auction?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
    2 people like this.
  11. baltimoron

baltimoron Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

patchwork

12. NaTionS

NaTionS Well-Known Member

I remember when Stan Smiths were discontinued for that short while. People were selling them on ebay for double the price or more.

13. colabear

colabear Well-Known Member

Hi guys! So I'm thinking of starting my own little clothing company. So far I have an idea for a logo and a brand. It's gonna be called Colaver pronounced KLAVER with a silent O and strong E. The symbol of our logo is 3 connected letter C and a small letter V that forms a shape of a 3 leaf clover

[​IMG]

please don't tell me it looks like a micropenis

14. Gruff

Gruff Well-Known Member

Looks like a micropenis.

7 people like this.
  15. colabear

I'm thinking more like a poppy version of a fleur de lis

16. noob in 89

noob in 89 Well-Known Member

Cool, can't wait for la jet tee x Colaver...

1 person likes this.
  17. Find Finn

Co laver means cow doing / cow pooping in Danish.

Cow is spelled with a K though, but its the same sound.

1 person likes this.
  18. colabear

I thought laver means to make not necessarily to make poop

And we're an American brand so that wouldn't mean anything to us

19. Find Finn

Like every other word it has at least two meanings. Just to increase the likelihood of misunderstanding.

I'm sure it will result in lots of shits and giggles if you end up retailing here.