• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it's nothing new tbh, probably exacerbated at the moment with the sales, preorders etc

also doesn't help that with the current format the less consumption oriented contributions can get easily buried

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just had a vision that I am to become a professional tap dancer. I can hear the applause now!

Last edited:

ChronBong

Reaction score
had an item up for 2 weeks on ebay, posted it on grailed last night, it sold instantly

i'm not complaining about this grailed ****
grailed is the new ebay for clothing, ebay fashion is old school...long gone and nearly dead.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hand-dyed sashiko repairs on my favorite item of clothing, six-year-old Wings + Horns sweats
Everyone laughed how I paid $100+ for sweat pants when I was in college, now they're my most-worn garment. Just need a couple hundred more rips so I can turn these into some cool patchwork piece

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
are there any online DIY tutorials for "sashiko" stitching?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score

Hand-dyed sashiko repairs on my favorite item of clothing, six-year-old Wings + Horns sweats
Everyone laughed how I paid $100+ for sweat pants when I was in college, now they're my most-worn garment. Just need a couple hundred more rips so I can turn these into some cool patchwork piece

Except they'll never know this so they probably tell stories about you and laugh still.

Ragechester

Reaction score
its maddening how this site has become restock and sizing questions. hardly anyone with any interests beyond just consuming ****

it's nothing new tbh, probably exacerbated at the moment with the sales, preorders etc

also doesn't help that with the current format the less consumption oriented contributions can get easily buried

It really goes so far beyond consuming purchasable items. People are so oversaturated with the consumption images/ ideas/ "inspiration" from all the various forms on their screens that they are too paralyzed to actually do anything except spend their money. It takes a serious effort to stop and appreciate an image and actually take in whatever it is that it could potential give you. There's some interview with raf where he talked about how he didn't like tumblr for that very reason.

@sipang what about the format causes posts to get buried?

@Coldsnap congrats on loosing that weight, nice job dude!

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It really goes so far beyond consuming purchasable items. People are so oversaturated with the consumption images/ ideas/ "inspiration" from all the various forms on their screens that they are too paralyzed to actually do anything except spend their money. It takes a serious effort to stop and appreciate an image and actually take in whatever it is that it could potential give you. There's some interview with raf where he talked about how he didn't like tumblr for that very reason.

@sipang
 what about the format causes posts to get buried?

@Coldsnap
 congrats on loosing that weight, nice job dude!

You need to have consumed fashion items to discuss fashion, particularly if you are geographically removed from any place where you are exposed to it regularly, which is most places.

Fashion without the possibility of consumption and/or very extensive eduction and knowledge is extremely abstract and difficult to engage in a discussion about. Imagine trying to discuss fine wine if you have never tasted it.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now, let's not sell SF2016 short. After all, I can click at random into the SLP thread and find an illuminating exchange like this incisive, fact-based discourse on a $700+ rtw shirt: [quote url="/t/317702/saint-laurent-paris-official-thread/8970_30#post_8308562"]
[quote url="/t/317702/saint-laurent-paris-official-thread/8970_30#post_8308386"] Is this obtainable? All the ones I have seen are just a drastic straight line change from orange to blue [/quote]
The straight line is the exact reason I kind of don't like the flannels tbh. I like them, but disappointed because they look much worse than they should. The runway design is much more unique and interesting.[/quote] [quote url="/t/317702/saint-laurent-paris-official-thread/8970_30#post_8308830"][quote url="/t/317702/saint-laurent-paris-official-thread/8970#post_8308585"]Is there a way to get the runway version? [/quote] I'm guessing no. To achieve the look of the runway would have probably been way too expensive. Can you imagine how many shirt would have to be discarded (thereby driving up the cost of manufacture) because it didn't have the perfect asymmetric flame pattern that someone/some thing has to reproduce for every piece globally)? I do think the runway/ysl.com product image version is doper, but the production version is good too (haven't seen it in person)[/quote] [quote url="/t/317702/saint-laurent-paris-official-thread/8970_30#post_8309117"]I agree. The runway one looks so much better but probably would cost even more to produce. When I tried it the line is so extreme it looks like I was cut in half. Layering could ease it and I've seen some people that look great in it..I'm just not one. The other bleache effect seems to work better for me as a stand alone piece that will also be great layered.[/quote] [quote url="/t/317702/saint-laurent-paris-official-thread/8970_30#post_8309126"]yeah, probably hardly making any profit as it is at current retail price. [/quote]

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Now, let's not sell SF2016 short. After all, I can click at random into the SLP thread and find an illuminating exchange like this incisive, fact-based discourse on a $700+ rtw shirt:

Lol. I was going to bring up a similar example. Styleforum is one of the few places this type of discussion can be had. Try doing that on Instagram.

Last edited:

Spehsmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last quote is my favorite.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last quote is my favorite.

It's sounds silly, but it's probably not that far off the mark. Collection is not where the money is made. A lot more goes into the cost than design, materials and make. Look at where Saint Laurent Paris boutiques are located - in San Francisco it is right on Union Square, probably the most expensive locations in the city, just for rent. I would be surprised if that space was not at least $10-20K a day, in rent alone. And that is repeated in the most expensive countries in the world, across the world. Then you pay for sales assistants, the ever changing installation, and all the overhead of running a retail space. That's not to mention the money spent on marketing, in all of its myriad forms. Collection pieces are rarely high margin pieces. Denim and sneakers and other entry level items is where the money is made, which is why pretty much every brand of size has denim, even though denim may not be core to the DNA of the brand. And of course, accessories and fragrances. How many of those shirts do you think SLP would have to sell to keep the lights on, no profit.

That said, Saint Laurent Paris is not some small designer brand like a Stephan Schneider or a Norewegian Rain or SNS Herning or whatever that is possibly making the designer and their staff a decent, if not extravagant, living, It's a brand owned by Kering, and I would bet my bottom dollar that Kering is trying to maximize on their investment as much as possible.

fwiw, retail is a very low margin business. In the signal digits. This is why things like decreasing returns rates, increasing the sell through rate at retail and at the lower markdowns, lowering shrinkage *aka theft - a significant problem in retail, managing all costs, are all very important. That's why Amazon is paying big dollars for shoe sizing technology to try to decrease the return rates for Zappos.

Last edited:

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've become fashion complacent. I just grab whatever Schneider items catch my eye. I used to check the runways every season now I only do if someone on SF recommends it (like the Tim coppens collection)

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It's sounds silly, but it's probably not that far off the mark. Collection is not where the money is made. A lot more goes into the cost than design, materials and make.
Look at where Saint Laurent Paris boutiques are located - in San Francisco it is right on Union Square, probably the most expensive locations in the city, just for rent. I would be surprised if that space was not at least $10-20K a day, in rent alone.  And that is repeated in the most expensive countries in the world, across the world.  Then you pay for sales assistants, the ever changing installation, and all the overhead of running a retail space. That's not to mention the money spent on marketing, in all of its myriad forms. Collection pieces are rarely high margin pieces. Denim and sneakers and other entry level items is where the money is made, which is why pretty much every brand of size has denim, even though denim may not be core to the DNA of the brand. And of course, accessories and fragrances.  How many of those shirts do you think SLP would have to sell to keep the lights on, no profit.

That said, Saint Laurent Paris is not some small designer brand like a Stephan Schneider or a Norewegian Rain or SNS Herning or whatever that is possibly making the designer and their staff a decent, if not extravagant, living, It's a brand owned by Kering, and I would bet my bottom dollar that Kering is trying to maximize on their investment as much as possible.

fwiw, retail is a very low margin business. In the signal digits. This is why things like decreasing returns rates, increasing the sell through rate at retail and at the lower markdowns, lowering shrinkage *aka theft - a significant problem in retail, managing all costs, are all very important.  That's why Amazon is paying big dollars for shoe sizing technology to try to decrease the return rates for Zappos.

All those things you mentioned though are part of why SLP is so awful -- the taking of vintage/ rocker/ grunge styles and turning them into this exclusive, luxury look for the class anxious. The fancy showrooms, expensive locations, marketing campaigns, etc. All for marketing stuff that you can find in a vintage shop or Hot Topic. I'm sure they could make that shirt sell for less than $700 (there are a ton of luxury brands with much better made items on Union Square, and they don't even sell shirts for $700), but that's not the point. It sells for that amount because SLP is based on exclusivity and hype. That's part of the gross appeal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads